Chapter 25: Pt. 2

"What's it to you?" He spat. "I'm just doing my duty as a wolf. Humans are pests, and by allowing one into our pack you're allowing pests into our lives. Is that the kind of Alpha you're trying to be?"

Oscar leaned toward him and his fingers tightened around Ed's shirt. "The only pest I see around here is you, and if there wasn't an event going on in the Moon Goddess's name, I'd have taught you a lesson before you opened that disgusting trap of yours." He lifted Ed and pinned him up against one of the wooden posts holding the stall up. His eyes were overcome by darkness. "If I see you even brush past her, I won't think twice before snapping your neck. Vermin like you don't belong in my pack."

"Y...You...Bana..." Ed began, stammering, but he didn't get to finish before Oscar threw him across the ground into the crowd, which scattered when Ed flew into them.

"Get out of my sight," Oscar said. "And if you know what's good for you, you'll stay away from her. Understand?"

Ed didn't respond. He scrambled to his feet and dove into the thumping music and throes of people. Ananya watched him run. Her hands were still shaking, but having Samiya behind her gave her a source of comfort. She noticed Cai appear too.

"Keep an eye on him," Oscar told Cai, who drifted toward Samiya and pulled her into his arms. "Make sure he doesn't pull any more of his shit tonight. I'll deal with him tomorrow."

"Okay." Cai's expression was impassive. "Working even during a party, huh?"

"I'm not lenient to people who harass my pack members, especially my mate," Oscar replied stoically.

"Learn to live a little, would you?"

Oscar didn't dignify him with a response.

Samiya sighed. "Are you alright, Ananya? He didn't hurt you, did he?"

"No, I'm fine." Ananya peered past her toward Ger. "Are you okay, sir?"

Ger offered a small grin. "I'm fine, Luna," he said. "A young pup like him can't shake me too badly."

Oscar gave a tight smile. "Thank you for trying to protect her," he said, resting his hands on Ananya's shoulders and stroking her skin with his thumb.

Her shivers subsided and she relaxed against him. "Yes, thank you," she said. "I'm sorry I caused such a disruption around your stall. I'm sure I drove off many customers." She laughed self-deprecatingly.

Ger shook his head. "Oh, don't worry about that, Luna. There will be more people who will come." He nodded to the group behind her. "See? Hardly anyone saw the scene. This ceremony is a favorite of many wolves. They care about nothing else but celebrating."

"I see." She smiled. "Well...oh!" She shuffled to the side to allow other people to order food and handed the bent box to Samiya. "Here. This is what you asked me for, right?"

Samiya blushed. "You're still worried about the food, even after what happened?" She giggled. "Thank you." And took the box.

"Come on, love. Let's find someplace for you to sit," Cai said, his hand resting on the small of Samiya's back. "You coming, Ananya?"

She began to nod but hesitated when she felt Oscar's thumbs stop moving. "I'll come in a second," she said.

Cai frowned. "Alright." He paused, then reared Samiya through the crowd. "I'll link to Oscar where we're going."

"Okay." Ananya waited until their figures had disappeared in the crowd, then she turned to Oscar. "Hey." He wasn't looking at her. "I'm sorry about -!"

"Come with me." He interrupted gruffly.

"Huh?" She blinked, but her senses grew fuzzy when his hand trailed down her arm, cruising over the bumps on her arms and then circling her wrist. Is he angry with me? He shouldn't be. I didn't do anything wrong. She huffed. "Oscar?"

"Come." His voice lowered. Looking around, he dragged her behind the store and into the bushes placed by the fence. Unlocking the gate, he held her tightly as they traversed into the forest on a crooked, dirt path.

"Oscar? Oscar, where are we going?" Ananya didn't struggle. She wasn't afraid. She was, however, confused, and a bit stunned by Oscar's refusal to speak. His complexion was flushed, emphasizing his fury. Behind them, music continued to bounce around the pack and blue lights of all shades flashed on the ground, reflecting into the dark sheet of stars above them. It was both euphoric and overwhelming.

He pulled Ananya along the path, slow enough so that she could keep up, but quick that the branches reaching for their clothes didn't get even a moment to grasp onto them. He brought her through a cluster of trees and stopped in front of what Ananya assumed to be a curtain of moss, though in the darkness it was hard to tell. After a moment, he pulled the moss to make a wide enough gap for her to slip through, and when she did, the sight that met her almost made Ananya fall directly on her face. 

The small grove was surrounded by cherry blossoms, all flourishing and drizzling small pink petals on the mossy ground. A path of cobblestone led up to a quaint pavilion encompassed by vines of roses and thorns. Rays of moonlight shone on the head of the pavilion, creating splashes of baby blue on the grove floor. In the distance, the whispering of a stream could be heard.

Ananya was stuck speechless. "What..." was all she could muster. She stepped into the grove, then took another step on the cobblestone. She lingered with one foot on the stone and the other on the grass, testing the difference between the surfaces. The cobblestone slid against her shoes and she flailed.

"Easy." Oscar gently held her up, his lips against her ear. "Easy, my love. It's slippery."

"I can tell." Ananya laughed in embarrassment. "I almost did a face-plant."

"I wouldn't have let you." He hesitated, then lifted her into his arms, holding her in such a way so that she was taller than him, her knees bunched and pressed against his chest, her arms looped around his neck, and her cheek pressed into his thin, silky hair. "Come, darling." He brought her under the pavilion and set her on the bench. Then, he knelt before her and ran his thumb along the red marks on her neck and jaw. "Does it hurt?"

"No, not anymore," Ananya responded, her gaze tracing the movement of his hands. She didn't notice it before (or maybe she did and just hadn't thought about it), but Oscar was quite muscular. She'd never been able to admire his physique. He was bulky, but not in an obnoxious way, and although he was strong, he was gentle with her. She felt a shiver fondle her stomach and a rush of warmth pooled between her legs. A throbbing sensation built at the bottom of her stomach, right above her pelvis, like the pounding of a war drum. 

Oscar noticed the subtle movement of her body and stiffened. His lips thinned and his throat bobbed. "Ananya, I'm sorry," he said hoarsely. "I'm sorry I let that bastard touch you. I promise it won't happen again." His dark eyes drew over the red marks left on her caramel skin, and he leaned forward and pressed his lips against the tip of the mark, right by her pulse.

" His dark eyes drew over the red marks left on her caramel skin, and he leaned forward and pressed his lips against the tip of the mark, right by her pulse