Chapter 39 Pt. 1

Ananya was up early the next morning, which was unusual for her because she was used to waking up later in the day when she wasn't working. She cast a glance at Oscar while rubbing her eyes. He was still sleeping soundly, his chest rising and falling with each breath, and she slid from the bed to let him sleep longer. Knowing that her clothes were beyond repair, Ananya brought out the spare undergarments that she kept aside and slipped into them, followed by a pair of jeans and a loose-fitting shirt. She threw her hands behind her head and pulled her hair out of her shirt. As she tip-toed through the clothes and torn fabric that littered the floor, she noticed her new badge glimmer in the early morning light. A smile formed on her lips.

I'm a detective, she thought, her chest puffing. I'm a detective! Her throat trembled with the urge to squeal, but Ananya resisted so that Oscar wouldn't wake in a panic. Stealthily, she left the room, standing for a long time in front of the door so that it would shut without a creak. Once she was certain that he wouldn't awaken, Ananya walked to the kitchen to prepare breakfast.

Mm...eggs sound nice, she mused, her tongue running over her dry lips. Eggs and what else? Ketchup, maybe. Yes, definitely ketchup. Toast? Ugh, I don't like toast. Maybe just eggs. I wonder what Oscar will want to eat. I could make pancakes...yeah, I could make that...

She wandered into the kitchen, lost in her thoughts. When she arrived, she was met with a surprise at the table. "Mausa?"

Aman looked up from his steaming mug. A smile formed on his face, bunching the wrinkles of his cheeks. He set the mug on the table. "Ananya, you're awake," he said warmly. "Sit, sit. Breakfast is ready."

"Breakfast?" Ananya blinked. "Did you - ooh, eggs!" She grinned and jumped onto the chair beside Aman, wiggling her fingers. "Yum."

He laughed. "I knew you'd like it. Here, you can have some ketchup. Not a lot, just a small blob. That's enough."

"Aww." Ananya pouted but conceded and handed Aman the ketchup bottle. She clapped her hands to give a short prayer, then cut the large egg straight through the middle, observing the yellow liquid ooze onto the plate. "How did you know I wanted eggs today, Mausa?"

Aman shrugged. "I had a feeling." He watched her chew the eggs in satisfaction. "Sunny-side up has always been your favorite."

"That's never going to change," Ananya said, licking her lips. "How did you sleep last night?" Anxiety unfurled in her stomach. He didn't hear anything, did he? God, I hope not.

"I slept very well. I think I slept the best that I've slept in a long time," he replied, unaware of the action that had taken place the night before. He ignored Ananya's sigh of relief. "Thank the Alpha for me. It was kind of him to let me stay over."

"You're always welcome here, Mausa," Ananya said.

Aman nodded, and his smile changed, tinged with sadness. "You'll be staying here then, will you?"

Ananya hesitated, the fork halfway to her lips. "I...well, I'll come visit," she stammered. "Officer Bayor promoted me to detective in Bourdier, so I'll be working part-time there..."

"You're also needed here, though." Aman sat beside Ananya and gave her shoulder a loving pat. "You've made me so proud, Ananya. I knew you could become a detective."

Ananya's eyes prickled. "I know...I did it thanks to you."

"You did it because you persevered."

"I did it because you helped me persevere."

"Ah, I suppose I'll have to accept that." He laughed. "You won't back down, will you?"

"Nope." Ananya beamed. "It's because of your help, Mausa...and...I suppose...Mausi's too." Her lips pursed. "She was harsh, but she was the reason I had a dream in the first place."

"She will come around," Aman promised.

"I won't be able to go to Newton, though."

"Then I will meet you here, in Bourdier." Aman gave her another pat. "I won't leave you alone, Ananya, not again."

Ananya swallowed. "I know...I know you won't." She stared at her plate. "Will you be leaving today?"

He nodded. "Your Mausi thinks that I went to observe the supply imports. I can't stay for long or else she'll become suspicious." He stood.

Ananya's eyes widened in alarm. "You're leaving now?"

"My plane leaves in three hours, but you know how traffic is." Aman shrugged. "Thank the Alpha for me, Ananya, and don't worry, I'll see you soon. Call me when you can, okay?"

"I will." Ananya also stood and Aman brought her into a lengthy hug. He gave her a chaste kiss on her cheek, and after exchanging sweet, solemn goodbyes, he left the house.

Ananya remained in the kitchen for a longer while, cleaning up her dishes and working on the breakfast that she assumed Oscar would enjoy. She was engrossed in her work and didn't notice when Oscar himself had padded into the kitchen, and only when he came up behind her did she acknowledge him.

"Morning!" She grinned. "Sleep well? It's-" she glanced at the clock. "Nearing eleven. Do you want breakfast or lunch? Or how about brunch?"

"Can I have you instead?" He left a lingering kiss on her lips. "Your mouth tastes tangy. Did you take more ketchup than you should have?"

Ananya shrugged. "What can I say? I like ketchup." She smiled.

"I know you do, but there's no possible way that you can have it with everything." His head dipped into her shoulder. "You had eggs too, didn't you?"

"Gross. You tasted all of that?" Ananya snorted. "Yes, I did. What do you want to eat?"

"Anything is fine. I'm not in the mood for anything in particular. Also, I can smell the eggs that were fried, and there are eggshells in the trash that weren't there last night."

"You noticed all of that?"

"Of course. I always have to be on alert. Who knows when someone could attack?"

"With all your new defenses? I doubt that."

"You can never be too sure." Oscar took the spatula from her hand and rested his cheek on her shoulder. "Come sit with me."

"I have to make you some breakfast."

"That can wait." He spun her so that her back was against the countertop. "I'm not interested in breakfast right now."

Ananya rolled her eyes and gave him a playful, reprimanding pat on his arm. "You need to eat before you do anything else," she told him. "Come on, don't be childish now. You know breakfast is the most important meal of the day."

"Fine." Oscar laid a final kiss on her shoulder and shuffled to sit on a stool. "What's your plan for today, sweetheart?"

"I'm not sure yet. I think I'll go find Officer Bayor and talk to her about this detective role I have now." Ananya beamed. "It's exciting, but also nerve-wracking."

"How so?"

"Do you think I can balance two jobs?" She chewed on her cheek. "I mean, being a detective is a lot of paperwork since Bourdier is a relatively silent town, but being Luna at the same time? I'm worried that I'll get overwhelmed."