Chapter 19: Pt. 2

"Yes, Mausi," Ananya mumbled. "I'm sorry." She glanced at Kathie, who was thankfully distracted by the everyday commotion on the other side of her bedroom window. "I'll make sure to be dressed properly starting tomorrow."

"Good." The older woman sniffed. "How's your case? Have you solved it yet? Please tell me you're not working with that lice-infested wolf."

"It...it's still in progress, Mausi," Ananya stammered. "I...I don't really have a say in who I work with..."

"Nonsense. I don't want you working with them." She spat. "Find a way to change it. I'm saying this for your safety, Ananya. I know you don't want to, and I know you trust...him, but Mausi is worried for you." She sighed. "Oh, my fragile baby, all alone in a town full of horrid beings. Ananya, make sure you tell Mausi when the case is done, okay? I'll have Mausa bring you back here and you'll be safe again with Mausi, na? Okay?"

Ananya's tongue ran nervously over her dry lips. "Yes, Mausi," she whispered. Her stomach clenched and invited a burn that served to ignite the beginning of a stomach ache. She groaned softly and glanced at her clock. "I have to go now, Mausi--"

"You go when I dismiss you," Rutuparna snapped. "Don't you want to talk to your Mausi, Ananya? Don't you care how much she misses and worries about you? This is what's wrong with kids your age, they don't care about their elders anymore."

"Mausi, no! T-That's not true!" Ananya held her phone tighter. "I...I'm sorry. I really am. I-I was going--!"

"No, no, go! Don't tell me what you're doing, I don't care. Go and get hurt for all I care! You're breaking your poor Mausi's heart!" Rutuparna paused for dramatic effect, then hung up, leaving Ananya with the beginning of a churning stomachache and a heart beating quick enough to rival the speed of a marathon runner. She didn't even give her a chance to speak to her Mausa.

"She's just as nice as always," Kathie mused, giving an acerbic chuckle. "Next time she visits, I'll bet she'll bring packing peanuts and bubble wrap to put you in. What do you think Ananya?"

The younger girl released a sigh laced with misery. "You may joke about it, but I wouldn't put it past her to do so." She put her phone into her bag and clenched her jaw. "Kath, I'm doing the right thing, aren't I?"

"What do you mean?"

"Am I wrong for not listening to her?" Ananya twisted her fingers. "I-I mean, she has a point, doesn't she? She took me in when I was an orphan and she raised me...she didn't have to do that..."

"Exactly. That was her choice. You're under no obligation to feel guilty because she took your responsibility." Kathie stood. "Ananya, you are your own person. You shouldn't make your decisions based on what your aunt says."

"But..." Ananya hesitated. Her eyes dropped to the ground, tracing the outline of her shoes. They were small, and Ananya noticed that her left foot twisted inward again, pointing toward her right heel. My frail, helpless girl. That's what her aunt used to say. Her knees wobbled, fatigued from standing for a long time. Ananya leaned against her dresser to release some of her weight. A liability. She thought.

"Ananya, I think Oscar's here," Kathie said suddenly. She smiled, and her mischievous, thin lips curving. "Look, just forget about your aunt, okay? She'll cool down after a while. Come on!" She held Ananya's hand and pulled her toward the door, ignoring the girl's yelp as she attempted to stabilize herself. "Let's go!"

~****~

"Would you like popcorn?" Oscar, dressed in a fashionable pair of jeans and freshly pressed dress shirt, studied Ananya as they stood in front of the snack bar. She concentrated on the rows and rows of offered snacks that hung above the trembling teenager at the counter.

"Do you like popcorn?" She grinned and turned to look at him. Her earlier guilt had mysteriously vanished, as did her stomach ache. "Or do you want to get something else? We don't have to eat, either."

"Depends on you. I'll eat if you do." He smirked. "What about butter popcorn? Or are you a caramel girl?"

"Butter all the way," she laughed. "What about you?"

"Same. Caramel doesn't go well with me." He reached into his pocket, pulling out a few bills. "So, do you know what this movie is about?"

"No. I've seen the trailers on TV, but I didn't pay attention to them," Ananya admitted with a blush. "What about you?"

"All I know is that it's a zombie apocalypse," Oscar laughed. "To be quite honest, I didn't peg you as the type to like apocalypse movies."

"Nobody does. Everyone thinks I like fantasy or romance," Ananya agreed. A whimper momentarily drew her focus from Oscar to the shaky teenager behind the counter. She frowned. "Is everything okay?" She asked gently, though she had a feeling that he was panicked not by her, but rather by the influence of the tall, imposing Alpha beside her.

"F-Fine," he stammered. "U-Um j-just give me a s-second..." he snatched the money from Oscar's outstretched hand and fumbled with the machine. "I-It's a bit slow today..." he gave a high-pitched laugh and hid behind his long brown hair.

"That's fine." If Oscar was aware of the fear radiating from the boy, he didn't mention it. He turned back to Ananya again and smiled. "So, do you like reading apocalyptic books too?"

"No. That's when I prefer romance," she said. "Although, recently I've been getting into the classics. Like Charlie Duckens and James Vase. Did you read Nick's Bridge?"

"I've heard of it, but I never read it," Oscar mused. "Was it good?"

Ananya groaned and shook her head, laughing. "It was such a slow book. The descriptions were good, but it just wasn't a favorite of mine." She glanced back at the popcorn boy who was still fumbling with the machine. It jolted abruptly, and it would have electrocuted him had Oscar not grabbed him and swiftly pulled him back. The machine didn't explode, but it bounced for a few moments longer before hissing to a stop.

"Are you okay?" He frowned down at the boy, helping him stand upright. "You didn't get zapped, did you?"

"No..." dazed, the boy shook his head. His gaze swiveled between Ananya and Oscar, and Ananya noticed happily that there seemed to be a light in his eyes, shining through the fear that had once controlled him. His shoulders relaxed. "No, I'm okay." He gave them a small smile and handed them their popcorn. "Here."

"Thank you!" Ananya chirped. "Are you sure you're okay, though?"

"Yes, thanks to you, sir," the boy said, nodding gratefully at Oscar, who seemed a bit taken aback by the young human's smile. "That machine's been here for a while. A ton of people have complained about it, but the manager keeps it 'cause it's cheap."

"That's lousy," Oscar growled. "You could have gotten hurt."

The boy nodded again. "I'll talk to him again when I can. Enjoy your movie." His smile returned, and upon meeting Ananya's eye he blushed.

"He's cute," Ananya said aloud with a giggle as they walked down the hallway, descending the red-carpeted ramp and continuing down to the showing room. "I hope they fix that machine, though, or buy a new one."

"They should. There are a lot of teenagers working here. Who knows what could happen if one of them gets hurt," Oscar grunted. "I noticed there weren't a lot of people here. Is that unusual?"

"Not for a weekday. Since it's Wednesday, a lot of people are working or in school."

"Oh. And why aren't you working?"

"Officer Bayor and Mayor Dafowick have me on leave until they can have a committee meeting to decide my job." Ananya shrugged. "I can't complain too much. I'm on leave with pay anyway."

"Pay as a detective or...?"