Chapter 33: Pt. 2

"Don't!" He cried out. "Don't touch me! Don't come near me! I'm not right for you! I can't be your mate! I can't...I can't..." He breathed heavily, panting, choking, and gasping. "Ananya...Ananya..." he croaked helplessly, his eyes widening and narrowing with every gasp. "Ananya...please...please..." teary-eyed, he pleaded with her. "Don't leave me. By God, I'll lose my sanity...my pack...but don't leave me...don't leave me alone again..."

"Oh...Oscar..." Ananya wiped her eyes. She put her palms flat on his shoulders and, with a stagger, dropped to one knee, then the other, kneeling in front of him. With a shake, she brought her hands to his neck, attempting to cup his jaw. "Oscar, look at me. I'm not leaving you. I'm never going to leave you again, Oscar. I'm sorry that I couldn't stand up for you or myself. I'm sorry that I was a coward. I...I was trapped...I was caught in the web of my aunt's words, but I'm free now. I understand my worth, and I understand what I want." She winced when a tight ache twinged in her thighs, but pushed the sensation aside and forced a smile. "I want you, Oscar. I need you. And I know that you need your pack, just as much as your pack needs you. You are not Banastre, and you never will be, and you know how I know? I know because all this time, you've done nothing but work for your pack. You've worked to protect them, to make a better life for them. You've been the best Alpha they could ask for, and the best Alpha that I've ever met."

"Ananya..." Oscar opened his eyes and gasped. "What are you doing on your knees? Get up, quickly! You'll hurt yourself!" He began to lift her, but Ananya gripped his shirt and smiled up at him, pulling him back down.

"Oscar, you're an Alpha," she asserted. "You're not Banastre. You're Oscar. You're brave, valiant, strong, caring, princely, and so much more. But most importantly, you're your own person. You're not like anybody else, and you never will be. The person you become depends on the choices that you make, not what others think." She grinned. "Chase your dreams, and one day the people laughing and jeering at you will be the ones wishing they could be like you."

He was silent. "That's oddly poetic, coming from you." He wiped his eyes and broke into a small smile. "Did you think of that by yourself?"

"My Mausa told that to me," Ananya said. She grimaced and spread her knees apart slightly. "Erm, can you help me up? My thighs hurt now."

"Right, right, sorry." Swiftly, he brought her to her feet and swept her into his arms, encompassing her body in a fierce hug. "Thank you."

"Don't mention it." Wearily, she patted his back. "This means that you'll be going back, right?"

Oscar exhaled heavily. "I suppose so," he decided. "I can't say that I'm completely confident, but you're right. My pack needs me, and it's my duty to protect them no matter what."

"Good." Ananya smiled. "I'm glad you're gonna go back. Although...to be completely honest, I have no idea where the pack is supposed to be."

"It's only a mile from here." Oscar studied the sky. "But it's becoming dark."

"Is it?" Ananya yawned. "I guess so. I've lost my conception of time after being in a train cart for three days."

"Why were you in a train cart?"

"It was the easiest way to get here without being caught." Ananya yawned again. "We should go back now though. If June was able to come to my house, she'd be able to get to your pack easily, especially since you're not there."

"June came to your house?!"

"A wolf of hers, I think." She turned toward the bushes. "Did anything happen between you guys and the rogues?"

"From what I've heard, they've begun to expand their territory. They have humans and wolves alike being held captive," Oscar explained. "I don't know what's been going on in my pack, but I'm sure Cai and Karsten are handling things. June won't give up until she has my blood, though, and once she's done with me, she'll turn on Dafowick and kill them all."

"Has she always been this bloodthirsty?"

"Not since her daughter died. Sara was the Alpha King's mate, but she killed herself because she wanted to be with both the Alpha King and his brother, who was her true mate. Long story short, June blamed the Alpha King and was even angrier when he took on a second mate. She blamed all of us." He sighed. "She's a cruel wolf, but she's smart. She bid her time, I have to give that to her."

"It certainly seems that way," Ananya agreed. Wait, why am I agreeing with my enemy? "So, basically, you don't know if she's already taken over your pack or not?"

"I doubt it. Like I said before, Cai and Karsten are capable of protecting the pack."

"That may be so, but they're not the Alpha."

"...Touche." Oscar's gaze flickered toward the dark opening of the forest. "I can't lie and say that I want to go right now. I rarely get time for myself, and I hate that it sounds so selfish, but I feel intoxicated by this freedom."

"You'll feel even better when you prove to everyone that you're the Alpha you know you are." Ananya grinned a little sleepily. "Come on."

"Ananya."

"Is it this way or toward the slide..."

"Ananya."

"Oh! Maybe we can find a shortcut or something?"

"Ananya." Oscar gave a soft chuckle and put his hands on her shoulders, turning the thought-consumed girl toward him. "I don't want to go back yet."

"What?" And we're back to square one. "Why not?" She frowned. "What's wrong? We can't waste time, Oscar."

"I know, I know," he laughed. "I know...and it's important that we get back, but..." he cupped her jaw and brought his lips onto hers, kissing her deeply. "I've missed you...so fucking much."

Ananya's throat bobbed. "Oscar..." she felt herself melt into his kiss despite the voice in her head screaming at her to retain her focus. "Wait." She placed her hand on his chest and peered at him from under her eyelashes. "When we finish this...when we rescue everyone...then...'

He pursed his lips and relented with a nod. "You're right." He smirked. "So, this will be my reward then?"

She returned his smirk. "If you deserve it," she teased.

"I hope you know that wolves enjoy a good chase." A shadow fell over his gaze and a predatory glint flashed in his eyes. "You're playing a dangerous game, Ananya."

"I've been playing a dangerous game since I met you," she said with a callous scoff. She tilted her head and smiled. "But I enjoy it."