Chapter 24: Pt. 3

"I..." Tears collected in Ananya's large eyes. "I would be...honored..." her heart was bursting and she decided that if she had the strength in her legs, she'd be jumping to the moon and back. Since she couldn't, though, she settled for bouncing on her toes, clutching the garland and pin tightly to her chest.

"Of course, this isn't official, but it'll do for now," Oscar added. He fixed the sash over her dress like an odhani and then turned to take the second garland from Cai. "Come." He took her wrist and led her through the parting crowd toward the pavilion, where a silver idol of the Moon Goddess had been placed. The elder followed, reciting a prayer in Latin, and behind him were young boys and girls whom Ananya deduced were disciples. They circled the idol, Ananya, and Oscar, sprinkling water whenever the elder's voice would raise into a shout - a reverent cry.

This is so much like when I go to the temple, Ananya mused, watching the ceremonial display. I haven't been to a temple in a while, now that I think about it. Mausi wouldn't be pleased. Momentarily, she winced at the thought, then shook her head. No, Ananya. Focus on the ceremony. She exhaled deeply.

"Bow." The elder ordered, his eyes glowing. Oscar dropped to his knees, but Ananya hesitated. Her stomach twisted nervously and she felt heat crawl up her neck like a long, thin-legged spider.

Crap. I can't bend. What should I do? She looked around the pavilion helplessly, her palms growing sweaty against the velvety petals of the garland.

"Ananya." Oscar didn't look up or open his eyes, but she heard his voice soothe her. It was soft, as usual, and spoken only for her ears. "Don't worry. Stay where you are. The elder knows."

She nodded, because she didn't want to interrupt the elder and by default, the ceremony, and she stayed rooted to her spot, motionless and wracked with nerves. The elder finally beckoned for Oscar to rise, and he gestured for them to come forward and place the garlands over the idol's body. Ananya's hands were shaking, and she fumbled a few times, hitting her hands against the head and then the outstretched arms of the idol. Shame burned her cheeks and she wanted to bury herself in a hole at that moment, hoping that she could somehow escape the hundreds of eyes that dug into her.

"Calm, my love." Oscar's hands fell over her wrists and gently lifted them above the idol's head. He pried her fingers from the garland and pulled her hands back as the necklace of flowers fell around the silver statue's neck, draping over her sheer gown. The moon seemed to brighten as both garlands tangled with each other and the elder's voice grew louder and louder and strengthened with power. Howls arose amongst the wolves, Oscar included, and Ananya watched in awe as they howled and howled and howled. Their eyes snapped open at once and glowed a pasty white color that enveloped their bodies in a gentle glow.

"Woah...huh?" Ananya staggered when something cold enveloped her. She felt sturdy, smooth limbs caress her arms, washing over the small bumps littering her upper shoulders, and dainty, ghostly hands dragged over her scars. A chilly but comforting chest pressed up against her spine and dissolved the numbness in her back.

Hush, a delicate, wispy voice, almost a melodic sound, whispered. The woman (Ananya assumed she was a woman; she was too stunned to move) dragged her finger down Ananya's spine until the beginning of her bottom, then around her hips where there were two scars on either side of her waist. Ananya attempted to remain motionless, but the woman's touch brought upon a release-like sensation, as though the tightness of her muscles were vanishing and the seams of her scars were ripping thread by thread.

What a beautiful, ripe woman you are, the woman murmured, tendrils of her dark, sparkling blue hair curling around Ananya's neck. Ananya tried to catch Oscar's gaze, but when she looked at him she found him to be frozen, still howling along with everyone else, lost in his world. Or perhaps, she began to think, she was lost to them.

I...Ananya couldn't open her mouth, nor could she feel her legs. All she could perceive was the woman behind her.

You are brave. You are bold. You are bewitching, young flower, the woman's silky voice caressed her. Be the Luna you were born to be; the detective you desire to become. That is your duty. That is your promise to me.

Luna? Duty? Detective? How do you... Ananya wasn't speaking, but she detected that the woman could understand her regardless. What about my family? My Mausi, she'd never approve...they would never let me be in the force...

They will fight, but you will fight back. The woman's feet brushed over Ananya's heel. You will persevere, because I have chosen you. Bring upon a new era, Ananya Kaushikh. Stand tall, my fierce, fierce flower.

Wait! Ananya felt the woman slipping away from her. She tried to turn, but couldn't Wait, please!

Make them proud. the woman's voice was fading. You will make them proud.

Who? Who? Ananya grew desperate, thrashing against the invisible chains. Wait!

"Ananya?" Oscar's inquiry caused Ananya's body to jerk. She stumbled, and her back nearly collided with the idol had Oscar not reached out to grab her. "Ananya, are you alright? Baby, what's wrong?" He noticed the tears collecting rapidly in her eyes and felt her body temperature shift from icy to warm in a matter of seconds. "Ananya!"

"Oscar..." Ananya blinked furiously and staggered to her feet. Faintly, she heard electronic music thumping and shaking the ground, and cheers blended with the melodic voice of the singer whose name she never knew. "Did you...where is she?" She looked around the pavilion rapidly. "Where did she go?"

"Who?" Oscar frowned. "Ananya, baby, what are you talking about? Who did you see?"

"I...I could have sworn...I thought..." Ananya's excitement subsided. "Was I just dreaming?" She touched her collarbone, then her shoulders, then hips, where the skin was still cold and somewhat tender.

"We thought you were having a seizure," Cai said, coming up behind Oscar. Samiya approached Ananya, skirting around Oscar cautiously and then rushing to the young human.

"Your eyes grew distant and your complexion paled," Samiya explained. She pressed her palm to Ananya's forehead. "Are you feeling overheated by any chance? Nauseated?"

"No..." Ananya hung her head, studying the uneven floorboards. "I-I'm fine..." She caught her breath and ran her hands through her hair. "Yes, I'm fine."

Oscar hesitated. "Are you sure-!"

"Hey, that's great, then!" Cai clapped her shoulder. "Since we're all feeling good and the ceremony is done, let's go party!" 

--()--()--()--

Why did the Moon Goddess seek Ananya? Who will Ananya make proud?