Chapter 16: Pt 2

"To be fair to us, the victim's blood was found on his ID," Cai said. "And remember that human guy found shoelaces that were tied to the male victim's body? We can compare them to Egon's shoes."

"Oh, right." Oscar thought back to the second revelation that night, discovering that the male had his hands tied behind his back with a thin shoelace. "Testing didn't give away any DNA?"

"Nope. Again." Cai closed his eyes. "I feel like the girls are gonna take a while, so I'll just get some shut-eye--!"

"They're here." Karsten's gaze went hazy. "I have some patrol wolves escorting them in. We'll meet them at the pavilion." He rolled his shoulders. "Let's head out and get this over with, eh?"

"Yes, let's go." Oscar cleared his throat, checking to make sure that his wolf was sound asleep before crossing the pavement down to the grass. His leather shoes, which weren't tall enough to cover his ankle, sunk into the dirt as the damp grass blades dragged along his skin. A shiver passed through his spine. He didn't remember the last time he'd been so nervous. Perhaps he wasn't nervous. Perhaps apprehensive was the proper description of his feelings. Oscar had arrested hundreds of wolves before. He wasn't a stranger to receiving and giving corporal punishment. It was partly how people would confuse him with Banastre. But he'd never hurt children, and even though Egon was eighteen, he was still a child in Oscar's eyes. The constantly nerve-wracked boy couldn't stab a dummy, much less a human being. The predicament he was in confused Oscar, but he decided that dwelling on it for long would only drive him insane.

They reached the pavilion where January Bayor and Ananya were. The women were dressed in semi-casual clothing, and Oscar noticed with a sigh of relief that Ananya seemed to be back to her old self. She chatted amicably with Officer Bayor and the wolf who was supervising them, giggling and waving her hands animatedly.

"Oscar, hi!" She turned when she heard them approaching. "How are you?!" She beamed.

"I'm doing well," Oscar responded softly. "Officer Bayor." He nodded to the older woman and dismissed the wolf.

"Alpha." Officer Bayor sniffed. Oscar noticed her drop a protective hand on Ananya's shoulder, and she glared past Oscar toward Karsten. "Beta. General."

"Officer Bayor," Karsten retorted with a sly grin. "You're looking quite normal today."

"I'm not in the mood, General," January Bayor snapped. "Let's just get this interrogation over with. I have a cup of tea and a movie waiting for me at home."

"My, your dedication to your job is admirable," Karsten snipped.

"Enough. You're like pups," Oscar snarled. He glanced at Ananya and his twisted lips softened. "Are you ready for this?"

She gave a flighty giggle. "I'm a little nervous, honestly," she said. "I've never done this before...it could be violent." She grinned. "But I'll be fine! I can do this!"

"It's not likely that things will get violent." He took her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze, simultaneously admiring her confidence. Thank goodness her family is gone. "And if it does, we'll be here. Egon's no match for the three of us."

"Then again, he killed four humans." Cai shrugged. "Anything is possible."

"We don't know that he killed them," Oscar muttered. "We can't be making assumptions."

"I'm not making assumptions." Cai began walking away. Oscar and Ananya followed, with Karsten and January Bayor hissing at each other behind them.

Oscar noticed Ananya's gaze darting hither and wither, and he felt perspiration collect on her palm. Again, he squeezed her hand.

"It'll be okay," he murmured. "I'll be there. Nothing will happen to you."

She smiled. "Knowing that you'll be there helps," she replied softly. "I just hope that it doesn't get out of hand. Poor Egon, I'd have never expected it to be him."

"Nobody did." Oscar stopped in front of a small, two-story home. The exterior was made of wood, with yellow window panes and a row of small plastic windmills rushing up the driveway. Oscar climbed up the steps and knocked thrice on the door. After a beat passed, the door opened.

"Alpha?" Cathy, Egon's short, stout, overbearing mother who always wore an old apron and flowery dress, frowned at Oscar. Her gaze traveled past him to Cai and Karsten, and her judgemental, narrow eyes seemed to thin even more when she noticed January Bayor and Ananya. "Humans?" She hissed, baring her canines. "What are they doing here?"

"We're working with the humans on a case about four dead humans, two of whom were killed on our lands. They are Officer January Bayor and Detective Ananya Kaushikh."

"Uh, recruit, actually," Officer Bayor said in a clipped tone. Nobody noticed Ananya deflate.

"Whatever they are, they're humans, and I don't want them on my property," Cathy sneered.

"We have business with Egon, Catherine," Oscar continued sternly, looming over the overweight woman. "They will stay here. They're under my supervision."

"What has he done? What do you need Egon for? If you have a problem with my son, you'll speak to me," Cathy snarled.

"Catherine, we need to speak to Egon." Oscar didn't back down. "You don't understand the severity of this situation. We've found evidence that may place Egon as the murderer."

"What? No, not my baby boy!" Cathy stepped forward, blocking the door. Her expression changed to one of a plea. "Please, Alpha, you know Egon. You know my boy, he'd never do such a thing."

"We just want to question him," Ananya assured her.

Cathy glared at her. "You stay out of this, crippled human!"

"Hey!" Oscar's eyes darkened. His hand shot out and into the wall beside the door. Cathy jumped and squeaked, stepping away as Oscar's trembling body veered forward. "What the fuck did you just say?"

"Oscar, it's okay," Ananya told him quickly. Her hands wrapped around his arm, but when he turned to look at her, his body whirling in haste, she took a step back. The intensity of his gaze and the tremor of his arms brought a flash of fear into her, striking the base of her stomach. His hand moved, and for a moment Ananya thought that he'd strike her, just as Rutuparna would do when she'd speak out of turn.

"Banastre..." January Bayor whispered, and her voice snapped Oscar out of his illusion. Briskly, he pushed his wolf's influence away, and his bones clicked into place before he could have fully shifted. His breathing, labored with effort, grew softer.

"Mother?" Egon, dressed in an old shirt and torn jeans, appeared behind Cath with a frown. "Mother, are you okay? What's going on?" He looked up at Oscar, and for a moment alarm flashed in his eyes before he regained his composure. "Alpha." He seemed quiet and resigned. "How can I help you?"

"B-Banastre..." Cathy stammered, tugging Egon's arm roughly. "Banastre...Banastre..." She fled into the house.

Oscar watched her run, unsure how to feel. He recognized the bubbling burn of anger, but there was also a cool breeze of sadness, amplified by plumes of regret that grew from the tree of remorse planted deep into his stomach. He clenched his hands and his jaw. Fuck, I did it again. Shit, I can't control myself. I'm becoming him...I'm not...I'm trying...