Chapter 20: Pt. 3

"Stay there, Ananya!" Oscar darted toward the theater. Ananya saw bright orange tendrils grasp the clouds. "I'll be right back!"

"Oscar!"

Oscar heard her, but through the yelling, running, and roaring of the fire trucks and flames, he couldn't waste a second to acknowledge her. He was sure that she'd be safe in the park.

He dashed to the theater, which at that point had been completely consumed by flames. People were crying outside, huddled within the crowd. Some were sitting in ambulances but didn't seem to be injured. Oscar caught sight of the boy who had given him and Ananya their popcorn. He was at the front of the crowd, struggling with one of the firemen. His hair was a dark, burnt color and his body was smeared with ash. He coughed in between his frazzled shouts.

"What's going on?" Oscar pushed through the crowd toward the boy, covering his mouth with his hand. His wolf howled obnoxiously, annoyed by the smell of fire.

"Alpha!" The boy exclaimed. "There are still people in there! There's my co-worker. She's stuck on the third floor! Please, tell them to let me go!"

"You can't go back inside. It's not safe," the fireman said sternly. He glanced at Oscar, sheer disdain glazed over his determined eyes. "Get lost, wolf. You don't belong here."

"Where's your co-worker?" Oscar ignored him.

"The third floor. She was going to the bathroom."

"Hey!" The fireman pushed the boy aside and shoved Oscar's shoulder. "We don't need your help, wolf. Get lost."

"Do you want to go into the burning building to rescue the girl?" Oscar snarled, straightening his shoulders. He glowered at the man.

"We don't need another murder happening today," the fireman glared at him. "For all I know, you could have started the fire."

Oscar's expression darkened. The man stepped back and he grabbed him by his collar. "Are you implying that I planned to kill these innocent humans?" He growled. His claws sunk through the fireman's uniform.

"I..." the man paled.

"The building's going to collapse!" Somebody screamed.

Oscar dropped the fireman. "I don't have time to deal with your bullshit right now," he said impatiently. Without concern for the human crowd around him, he shifted, allowing his wolf form to take over. He shook his coat and tensed, trying to listen for anything that would alert him to the girl's location. It was difficult, though, with the people screaming louder and the pavement pounding with their footsteps.

Shut the fuck up, humans, he thought to himself. His temper flared dangerously and his eyes blackened, impairing his vision. He thrust himself into the building with a howl, straight over the counter and through the staff room. He narrowly avoided being crushed by a falling wooden beam.

Shit. He cursed himself. Fuck, I'm losing myself. He pawed at his nose, trying to regain his control. Come on...say something, girl! Scream! Shout!

He jumped away from a flame licking his heel, skidding over the counter. Another wooden beam skinned his side and he clenched his jaw.

"HELP!" A plea ripped through the roar of the flames. A strong, flowery scent mixed with charcoal pummeled Oscar's senses, and a smile curled his wide muzzle.

Found you. He sprinted up the steps conjoined to the staff room, pounding through the flames littering the ground. His mind grew hazy. His vision blurred. He kept going, though, faster and harder.

Oscar found the girl crouched under a heavy beam, coughing and covered in smoke. When she noticed him, she flinched and huddled in the corner.

"Don't touch me!" She hissed.

Oscar frowned. The ground beneath him trembled. "I'm not going to hurt you," he said, his voice deep and strained. "Please, trust me."

"No!" The girl screamed between sobs. "No, just leave me! I don't want to be killed...I don't want to die..."

"Then come with me." A plank broke behind Oscar's hind leg and his muscles tensed. "Please, now! I don't want to die either, please!" His plea brought him abruptly back to his childhood. He'd begged Banastre the same way when the cruel man would beat him with old wooden boards. Another plank fell and Oscar took another step toward the girl. "Please, trust me!"

The girl coughed and licked her lips. She hesitated, and another beam fell.

Shit! Oscar lunged forward. His large jaws bit into her shirt and dragged her out of the corner just before the beam collapsed, taking the floor down with it. Oscar felt the girl panting against him, her chest heaving, her face streaked with boiling tears and smoke.

Shaking his fur from the ash, Oscar looked around the room haphazardly. His vision blurred again and he stumbled, still holding onto the girl. A low growl vibrated in his throat and he felt smoke fill up his lungs.

Oscar! A faint voice called him, snapping him back to his senses. Oscar! Ananya. She was calling him. He heard the desperation in her tone. His energy was rejuvenated.

Knowing that the stairs were untrustworthy, Oscar peered out the window. It was a large fall, but he'd fallen from higher before. He knew the girl would be safe regardless, and without another thought, he jumped through the window just as the third floor collapsed.

"AH!" She screamed, clinging to his neck, and Oscar closed his eyes against the stinging wind that pinched his eyes. He landed on a pad blown up by the fireman and shifted, releasing the girl with a sigh. His body was covered with soot and he coughed several times, struggling to catch his breath. A towel was placed over his shoulders, but he hardly recognized the rough texture that shielded his nude body. He bent over on the ground, hacking and coughing.

"The Alpha saved her," a voice murmured.

"He ran in to get her," another said.

"He risked his life."

"He's a wolf and he saved her."

"She's not hurt..."

"Oscar!" Ananya's wail tore through Oscar's fuzzy thoughts. Blearily, he looked up as Ananya weaved through the crowd. She moved quickly to him, tears streaming down her cheeks. "Oscar!" She flung her arms around his neck, burying herself into his arms, her face in his neck. "Oh my god, Oscar!" Her tears dampened his neck.

"Ananya..." Oscar whispered. "Oh, Ananya..." he returned her hug fiercely, holding her close. He kissed her pulse and stroked her hair. "Ananya...I'm okay...the girl is okay, that's all that matters..."

"You scared me, Oscar!" Ananya sobbed. "You scared me so much! Don't ever do that again!"

He smiled. "If it's to save someone's life, I can't promise that." He kissed her cheek. "Human or werewolf, a life is a life, and I won't let anyone die." Not like he did. 

--()--()--()--

Looks like we had quite an exciting chapter! Oscar has risked his life to save a human, but do they still hate him?