Chapter 38: Pt. 2

The officer was silent, then, with a slightly trembling hand, one that made Ananya realize that she was doing something she'd very rarely done before, January Bayor opened her palm to reveal the object she'd been holding.

"What in the world...?" Ananya breathed in sharply. "Officer Bayor--!"

"Ananya, we were wrong," January Bayor admitted through clenched teeth. "Dafowick was wrong...and I was wrong. We...we judged you, we really did, and we were stupid to judge you like that...by how you looked because you proved time and time again that you were more than capable of the job. I know...I know you have responsibilities as the Luna now, and I know you may not frequent Bourdier often, but..." she swallowed hard. "If you want to be a detective...no...if you'll forgive us and honor us by being on the Bourdier Investigation Team, then it would mean the world to us. I...I apologize for doubting you. That's my fault, and I also apologize on behalf of the officers of Bourdier for treating you differently."

"Officer..." Ananya took January Bayor's trembling hands, peering into her thawed bluebell eyes. "I would be more than happy to join the team."

"You would?" January Bayor blinked, and everyone in the room held their breaths. "After...after how we treated you? I-I should add that discrimination won't be tolerated in the investigation force anymore...it was wrong of us...

"It was," Ananya agreed. "But what matters is that you realized it was wrong and apologized. I'm not mad at you, and I'm happy that you're giving me the chance to be a detective!" Her cheeks flushed and her gaze brightened. "I would be honored!"

"That's...great." January Bayor sighed in relief. "Thank you, Ananya, thank you." She pinned the badge on Ananya's chest as the remaining girls whooped and cheered.

"GROUP HUG!" Kathie shouted, corralling everyone around Ananya.

"What? Hey-!" January Bayor yelped and grumbled. "No!"

"Can't say no, Bayor," Kathie tsked, dragging her into the tight circle. "Come on. Bring it in."

"Ugh..."

Ananya laughed as she squeezed herself between Samiya's bulging belly and Stella's wheels. She laughed and laughed and laughed, and she felt her lips overflow with excitement, her body bursting like a million fireworks had been ignited. She felt warm and overjoyed, basking in the tight, large embrace.

"We're going to be late if we stay here," Soley pointed out after a while, as their hug began to disband. "We should get going, shouldn't we?"

"Oh, yes! We should!" Ananya gasped, and when her fingers brushed her new, shining badge, the 'o' shape of her mouth loosened into a smile. "Let's go!"

~***~

Oscar stood behind the large purple curtain separating the crowd from him. Repeatedly, he fixed his tie and cleared his throat, tapping his foot or pulling strands of hair that would release itself from the light gel he'd put in the morning.

"It's almost time," Cai said, coming beside him. "Where are the girls?"

"They should be here soon," Oscar said. "Are the papers ready? The headband?"

Cai gave him a thumbs up. "All good to go." He patted Oscar's shoulder. "Chill, dude. Everything will be fine."

"I hope you're right. I don't need a repeat of the last ceremony we had," Oscar said.

"I think we will be alright," a woman said. "No need to go worryin' for nothing."

Oscar turned, smiled, and nodded. "Marge," he addressed the short, fiery, black-clad woman who approached him. "I'm looking forward to uniting our communities as one."

She smiled toothily. "As am I, Alpha Yuen."

"Please, call me Oscar."

"As am I, Oscar." She grinned. "I'm going to sit in the meantime. My old knees ain't as strong as yours."

Oscar laughed. "I'm sure that's not true. But please, do sit if you need to." He brought her to a chair beside the one placed for Ananya. "We should be starting soon. My mate will be arriving..." his voice trailed off when his eyes darted up. "Holy shit."

Marge followed his gaze and laughed. "You youngins still get star-struck when you see your gal, eh?" She put her hands together. "That's a good thing. Don't change that expression of yours, you here? Ananya, darlin'!" She pulled Ananya from Samiya and hugged her fiercely. "Where you been, girl? You don't think about your dear Marge? I been looking for you everywhere!"

Ananya blushed and laughed. "I'm sorry, Marge," she said. "I've been...busy..." she met Oscar's stare, and the young Alpha veered his head with a cough.

Shit, she's so fucking hot, he thought, covering his mouth. Damn it. Fuck, she's cute. I want her all for myself. This ceremony better not take long.

"I can tell." Marge cocked an eyebrow. "Now, you best be safe, ya hear? Kids are cute and all, but don't go gettin' them so early now. I ain't lookin' after them babies."

"Marge!" Ananya exclaimed.

"Eh, you know I'm teasin' ya," Marge chuckled. "But that goes for you too, Yuen." She grabbed Oscar's sleeve. "You play safe now, both of ya."

"Yes...ma'am," Oscar muttered. I'm getting deja vu here. Did Mom possess this woman or something? He shook his head and strode past Marge, who'd engaged herself in a conversation with Samiya and Cai (probably about their baby), and took Ananya into his arms. He didn't give her a moment to greet him before his lips were on hers, claiming her instantly, devouring her at once.

"You look...exquisite," he breathed hotly in her ear, his fingers digging into her hips. "I want you all for myself. Why haven't I seen you like this before? Shit, what am I saying? You look good in everything and nothing."

Ananya giggled. "You look handsome too, Oscar." She looped her arms around his neck. "Are you ready? I'm excited!"

He smiled. "I'm ready. I think...I'm more prepared than I was during the first ceremony."

"Me too. It feels different this time, doesn't it? During the last ceremony, I felt like I had a weight on my shoulders. Today, I feel light. I'm not afraid or nervous or constantly looking behind me." She let her cheek fall on his shoulder. "I'm at peace, and it feels...extricating."

Oscar placed a butterfly kiss on her head. "You took the words right out of my mouth." He pulled back to kiss her again, cupping the back of her head with one hand and her jaw with the other. "Fuck, I just want to keep kissing you."

"Maybe I'll give you a chance after the ceremony," Ananya suggested coyly. She winked and slid away from him, taking her place beside Marge.

She's such a tease...but God, I love her. Oscar straightened his suit and took to the podium. Cai scooted up to him with a grin.

"Let's get this show on the road," he said, and with a snap of his fingers, the curtains lifted. A hush fell like a smothering breeze over the crowd and hundreds of eyes focused on Oscar.

 A hush fell like a smothering breeze over the crowd and hundreds of eyes focused on Oscar