Chapter 20: Red Light Curse

"You can come over tonight if you want?" Kian offered. I shoved another cookie in my mouth.

"Would that be okay with you, Ricky?" I asked after swallowing the cookie.

"Yeah. I told Connor you can choose where you stay." Ricky answered. I handed him a cookie and he smiled in response.

Ding, ding, ding

"Jc how many cookies did you make?!" Kian asked with extra enthusiasm in his voice.

"I made a few dozen. But they're all for Katie." Jc responded, jumping up to get the cookies out of the oven.

"So I'm going over tonight?" I asked Kian.

"Sure. We have another roommate though. His name is Joseph, but we call him JJ. He's a photographer." I nodded my head and Jc walked in with a plastic tub full of cookies.

"These cookies are for you." He handed me the tub.

"Thanks! I'm gonna go pack for your house." I jumped up and ran up the spiral staircase to my room. I placed the cookies in my closet under a pile of clothes because I know the boys will help themselves to the cookies if I leave them out. I packed clothes and my charger in a YouTube merch bag. I turned off my light and closed my door.

When I got downstairs I saw Kian and Jc standing by the front door. Kian had car keys in his hand. When they saw me Kian opened the door. I hugged Ricky and kissed him bye. I fist bumped Sam and blew him a kiss. Trevor wrapped me in a hug and gave me a quick kiss. I smiled at them and walked out the door and to Kian's car.

"Shotgun!" I yelled and ran to the car. I jumped in and shut the door. Kian climbed in driver's seat laughing. Jc climbed in the backseat pouting. He moved over to the seat behind Kian.

"Ha! Joke's on you, I get more space back here!"

"Joke's on you, I have two air conditioning vents, a dashboard for my feet and a chair that reclines." I said, cranking up the radio.

"Whatever!" He yelled over the music. Kian sat there laughing. We all ended up laughing. Finally, Kian quit laughing and started driving.

We were cutting up and singing along to Bad Blood. We were yelling at the top of our lungs. We were laughing, singing, dancing, and having a great time. Suddenly the light turned red. Kian slammed on his brakes but we went skidding across the road.

I heard the tires sliding across the hot, black pavement. There was a truck that wasn't paying attention, headed right into the side of my door.

"JC! KIA-" I yelled but was stopped by the smashing of the truck into my side. I heard Kian's voice and then my vision got blurry. I started to panic. I could still partially see but I couldn't move. My arms wouldn't move, legs wouldn't move, feet wouldn't move. I could feel the pain. I started crying. My heart started racing. Then, everything was gone. No more pain. No more tears. Eveything was gone and everything was black.

*****

I opened my eyes and found myself standing in a pasture with green grass and daisies. The wind was blowing, slightly. I was in a white dress and barefooted. My hair was flowing with the wind. I saw a bright light above my head. The light was basically white. I looked behind me and saw all of the boys sitting down in the grass. I wanted to run to them, but I didn't. I don't know why.

It took me a minute but I figured out it was all up to me. Either I head to the light or I head to the boys. I pondered upon the question.

Life or death?

All I could think about was Connor. He needs me. I need him. I can't leave him. But what if I become a burdon to him? Ah, I don't care. I love him.

I didn't take another second to think. I ran as fast as I could to the boys. As I was running everything started turning black again. Once I reached the boys, they disappeared. The world went black. I heard sirens and screams. I heard footsteps and voices. I heard cries of terror and what sounded like metal being sawed. I wanted to open my eyes, but they were so heavy. I felt pain in my lower right arm and then I fell asleep.

*****

Beep, beep, beep, beep, beep

I cracked open my eyes and they adjusted to the bright lights. I searched the room and saw no one in here. I turned my head towards the window and saw someone on the phone. They were pacing back and forth. They looked up and into my room. They stared me straight in the eyes. Their mouth dropped and their phone. They rushed in here and sat next to me. It was Ricky.

"Ohmygod! Katie!" He put his hands over his mouth and had tears forming in his eyes. I reached up and wiped his tears away. He smiled at me and grabbed my hand.

"Do you know why you're here?" I thought about it and vaguely remember a truck hitting me.

"No."

"Well, you left my house with Kian and Jc. You were headed to their house. The light suddenly turned red and Kian couldn't stop the car in time. It skidded across the road and a truck plowed into the side of the car. The side where you were." I felt the water stinging my eyes.

"Where's Jc? And where's Kian?"

"Kian is at home, resting. Jc is in surgery."

"Why is Kian at home and Jc in surgery?!"

"Kisn just needed stitches and then they sent him home. Jc...you know he tried shielding you from the truck? Well when he did that the truck plowed into him too. He had to have metal taken out of his abdomin." I let the tears fall. Ricky pulled me into his lap, avoiding the cords and IV. He held me and rubbed my back.

"Sam is heading here now. I was on the phone with him a moment ago." I sniffled.

"Okay. What about Connor?"

"Connor's in the UK so he can't be here right now. He wishes he could. He's taking the first flight out that he can get ahold of, but for now I'm here."

"Thanks Ricky. I hugged him and continued sitting in his lap.