Chapter 5 Cataclysm

***One Minute before the crash***

"Lane!" Perry yelled in his usually loud voice from across the room. He wore black khaki trousers on his waist, a blue long sleeved shirt along with a green waistcoat jacket, rounded off by his slightly loosened tie.

His black eyes, which had the visual sharpness of a hawk, locked onto a black-haired woman sitting at a desk not far away from his office.

Lois Lane, who had been subjected to his loud voice long enough to get used to it, didn't even flinch as her head remained buried in her computer.

In fact, pretty much everyone in the Planet had long become accustomed to it.

"What is it, Perry?" She asked in reply and questioned at the same time.

"Where's that cover story on Luthors gala for my front page. I asked you for that yesterday. Our readers aren't gonna read the blank side of the paper now, you know".

"Writing a report takes time. You should know that, Perry. I'll have it on soon". Lois said as she typed rapidly on her keyboard. Lex Luthor held a fundraiser just the previous night in the name of 'charity' again.

Clark wasn't present, so she was assigned to the task. Better to say, she was covering for him.

"The things I do for you, Clark…" Lois thought inwardly, a slight grumbling in her tone.

Seriously, she missed an interview with that ex-senator for this.

If Superman were around, though, she probably wouldn't be stuck on this as she knew the city would prefer an interview from the Man of Metropolis on the front paper than a charity donation gig.

As for another one of the brave and bald…. Ahem..... Brave and bold Lex Luthors attempt to increase his reputation for the upcoming presidential elections... she honestly couldn't be bothered right now.

If anything, the possible shady secrets he had on the senator who recently dropped out of the presidential elections out of his own 'Free will' seemed like a much more enticing prospect to write about.

As for her thoughts on Lex's running for president.

Isn't the world bad enough as it is already?

"Well good". He said, his eyes darting from left to right before narrowing slightly. "And can anyone tell me why Kent is nowhere to be seen?"

"He said he got a lead on an Intergang weapons trade. It could be a juicy story, or at least that's what he told me". Someone else answered before Lois could get a word in.

A beauty with a name tag going by Cat Grant.

"Great Cesar's ghost, why wasn't I informed about this". Perry asked.

"95% chance he did, and you probably just forgot". Lois said with a smile that caused Perry's eyebrows to crease further.

"You know, insubordination to your boss can get you fired. You do know that, right miss Lane".

"Oh! Fire your best investigative reporter? I doubt you'd do something like that, would you, Perry?" Lois let out a cocky grin as she raised her head from her laptop.

"Why you..." Perry didn't have the time to finish his words.

Boom!

The sound of what seemed to be an explosion according to their sense of hearing startled everyone.

"Huh? What's that?" Everyone wondered inwardly as they looked outside the window, towards where the sound originated from.

Lois in particular finally stood up from her desk in an attempt to find out what was going on.