Chapter 49 Lane Is Captured 2

“General Lane......”.

Doctor Austin yelled with a loud voice as he chased after Sam's leaving footsteps. The old general ignored him, saving no face for the renowned doctor as he made his way towards the elevator with a flat face.

“........... Would you please reconsider…" Austin's anxious face appeared in his vision, but Sam wouldn't have another word.

He bluntly cut short Austin's sentence, adding his own.

“There is nothing to reconsider in this. Concerning project Steel Soldier, Cadmus has proven that they cannot deliver on their promises. The military's money doesn't grow on trees”.

Austin choked a bit. The middle-aged doctor was momentarily at a loss for words, but quickly regained his composure and continued his act of persuasion.

This couldn't happen.

Although he had expected that Sam wouldn't be pleased, he never thought for a second that the general would decisively abandon Cadmus with the failure of the Blockbuster formula.

The military had spent years as well as billions of dollars in investments on this project. And the Blockbuster serum was just one of their investments in the grand phase of The Steel Soldier Project.

Nevertheless, the losses incurred from abandoning it would be tremendous.

Of course, it wouldn't affect Sam Lane in the slightest. Although he had vigorously supported the Steel Soldier Project, Lane's position was almost unshakable due to the backing of the world council. But Cadmus operations would definitely take a big hit. And he as the head director and head researcher of this facility would undoubtedly bear the brunt of it, regardless of whether he was responsible.

And for someone like him who had deep ties and access to core secrets, let's just say that his ending would certainly not be pleasant.

He realized it soon after joining that leaving Cadmus was easier said than done. Leaving it alive, that is.

“.... But...... What about the investments? I'm sure we can come to an understanding. If you can just give us some more time.....”

Sam expressionlessly stepped into the elevator and pressed the button for going above ground.

Looking at the panicked face of the doctor, Sam said coldly.

“Cadmus's time is up. The military has a new investment”. The elevator doors slowly closed.

“And tell Luthor, I'm tired of him playing tricks….”

Ding!

The doors closed, leaving behind a middle-aged man wearing a white lab coat.

Austin's eyes dimmed significantly. His back slumped a bit, and he ran his hands through his hair in frustration.

Things were going really wrong.

............

Above Ground, Cadmus Facility.

Stepping through the sliding entrance doors, Lane walked out of the building with an indifferent expression.

“Sir!” Two men decked out in army green uniforms stood at both sides of the entrance and saluted.

Lane didn't respond, his face cold and his eyes sharp. Both soldiers saw the general move forward and followed a few steps behind him.

They knew that the Sam was in a bad mood. And truthfully, that was exactly the case.

A soldier standing upright opened the door of the escort vehicle. Sam didn't spare him an extra glance and stepped into it.