Chapter 41 Missing

Gotham City,

Nighttime.

A rather decrepit warehouse building.

The pungent smell of Gotham slums was truly assaulting on the nostrils. A ghastly silence enveloped the atmosphere and the tension on the scene was so palpable, it could almost be cut apart with a kitchen knife.

Anyone's first impression in Gotham of what was happening in such an environment would be a classic murder. A bloody corpse sprawled on the floor with wide eyes filled with anger and fear, maybe a maniacal gangster with a butcher knife in his hand and a bunch of other creepy stuff that seemed as if it was an opening scene for a horror movie.

The reality, however, was much different from that impression.

Six Leaguers, bona fide Justice League members, all stood and floated in the air on alert. Their eyes wide open and their muscles tensed.

Surrounding a male figure who was sitting in a comfy, plush chair, reading a book without a care in the world.

In the dead silence, the flipping of pages was particularly jarring.

“Something's wrong”. Hal said with narrowed eyelids. Weirdly enough, his lips didn't have any movements and remained sealed.

“I know”. Bruce replied, his lips equally unmoving.

“This is not how I pictured things would turn out”. Billy said with a puzzled expression. His right arm was scratching his hair and the look of confusion in his eyes were difficult to conceal.

“Agreed”.

“Giovanni, is the spell working?” Bruce asked through the mind link.

“Yes it is. The spell is active right now”. Zatara replied.

“Then why isn't he doing anything?” Hal's question was what they all wanted to ask. Everyone turned to look at Batman, who had a blank expression.

“........ I don't know”. Another one. The familiar feeling of frustration hit Bruce again for the Nth time. Amari's reaction to their operations was not within his calculations, and it bothered him. It bothered him a lot.

Why was Amari still sitting there so calmly?

Did he really have nothing to hide? Was the Meteor truly just a Meteor? No, Bruce was sure it wasn't.

Amari's character, Bruce, could confidently say that he had a certain level of understanding.

It didn't matter whether Amari had something to hide or not, he would certainly not allow them to invade his space, even if they were mistaken in all their assumptions. So it certainly wasn't the confidence of an innocent man that made him sit down so nonchalantly.

Or was the Space blocker and Zatara's spell unable to restrain him? Meaning he had full confidence to leave here whenever he wanted.

Or was he truly certain that the other Leaguers wouldn't be able to get pass his energy shield?

Was he even really here?

“Batman to Wonder Woman, what's your status?”

“Batman? We're moving on this end”.

“Where exactly are you now?”

“We're outside the Energy dome, what's wrong? Did Amari escape?” Diana's voice came from the other side of the com's.

Bruce was silent for a few moments. Just when Wonder Woman thought something had happened......

“No...... He's here”.