Chapter 61 We Need To Talk

“That was........ Weird”. Clark frowned deeply.

Turning his head towards the sky, he couldn't help but activate his telescopic vision.

The Man Of Steel's line of sight penetrated the clouds, giving him a perfect view of the Earth's upper atmosphere.

Nothing.

Seeing that there was nothing within view, Clark frowned even deeper.

“Was I mistaken?” He wondered to himself…

“Eh hem”. However, a loud, irritable voice calling out to him drew him out of his subconscious thoughts.

The Man Of Steel turned his head back towards the expressionless soldier who was holding a tablet in his hands. On the lit screen was the picture of a frowning Amanda Waller, hands crossed, brows knitted and an inexplicable expression of annoyance.

“Am I distracting you, Superman?” Being drawn was from his thoughts, coupled with the sarcastic tone, Clark felt slightly irked.

“I'm sorry, who are you?” He asked with a raised eyebrow. This wasn't Clark attempting to be rude, but it was the first time the two of them had met each other.

Or rather, she knew who he was, but he didn't.

“And also, where's Lane? He needs to give me an explanation”.

“It's a shame to inform you that I'm the one you will be dealing with from today”. Waller remarked uncharacteristically through the screen.

“My name is Amanda Waller, Special Agent of the United States government and the new acting director of America's Department Of Defense”.

The fat on her face jiggled lightly as she introduced herself.

“New?........ Acting Director?” Clark's eyebrows furrowed.

Since when did the DOD get a new secretary? Furthermore, what happened to Lois's dad?

“But Sam Lane is........”.

“Missing, unfortunately”. Waller interrupted with creased eyebrows.

“How? Where? When?” Clark asked solemnly. He didn't have a good impression of the General who had tried to capture him more than once and supported that criminal, Lex Luthor.

However, the fact remained that he was Lois's father. And Lois was his close friend.

That automatically made the situation his problem. Too bad, someone else didn't think so.

“That is classified information, Superman. General Lane is one of our own, and this incident will be handled by us without your assistance”.

Her face was plain, portraying no emotions with a firm and decisive tone.

Clark frowned.

“If you need help, I can......”.

“None required. Military matters do not require the League's interference”. Looking at the stern expression on her face, Superman felt slightly annoyed.

“Now I understand”.

“Understand what?”

“How tonight's incident even happened. I've been around Lane long enough to know his character. He isn't pleasant to get along with, but at least he wouldn't overlook the whole picture just to prove his own capabilities”.

Waller's expression crumpled slightly.

“What are you trying to say?”

“It's simple really. Lane goes missing, then someone takes over and transports what should be the most dangerous weapon on earth without alerting the Justice League, all so they could showcase their capabilities”.