PART THIRTY-THREE | IT (part 1)

Part Playlist
• bellyache - Billie Eilish
• Cigarette Daydreams - Cage The Elephant

_______________________________

I was avoiding looking at Rheas face the entirety of the drive back home. We were still a few minutes away, when the tension was growing too much.

I could basically feel the words: I love you, screaming through the air between us. But she didn't bring it up. I wasn't sure if I should even do that either... She said say it to her face. Did she mean right now?

"Do you have a way to contact your brother, Kat?" Rhea suddenly asked me.

I shook my head. "Just the directions he told me to his workplace."

Rhea swallowed. "You don't believe him right? Kat... He hurt you. He watched as your father hurt you."

I nodded. "I know... Rhea, but-"

"I don't think there's any buts, Kat." Rhea cut me off.

I shrugged. "I don't know, Rhea... You try being in my situation and having your brother do that. Say those things..."

Rhea looked away. So did I.

A minute of pure silence and tension passed until I decided to speak up. To apologise. "Sorry, Rhea... I'm under a lot of pressure and it's-"

"Pressure?" Rhea scoffed a little. Which surprised me. "Kat. You cannot believe that guy? Seriously? Are you-" she shook her head and looked away to calm herself down.

"Am I what?" I asked, wanting her to continue. "You think I'm naive?" That really hurt me.

Rhea let out a breath. "That's not what I mean, Kat. I don't want you to be hurt again."

She thought I was naive. Too trusting. Too easy forgiving. But he wasn't her brother. She wasn't there like he was for me growing up. Until he wasn't... but she wasn't there. She doesn't know him as well as I do.

I grew annoyed. "You don't have a say in this, Rhea. He's my brother."

Rhea looked at me, eyes wide and tight lips. "I don't have a say in my girlfriends safety?"

"If I'm correct, Rhea. I don't think I'm actually your girlfriend. I've never been official my asked. Just like I've never been fucked." I crossed my arms, shocked at my own words but I still look out the window and act like I wasn't scared. My heart was pounding.

"Fucking hell. You don't wanna be my girlfriend? I didn't even know you wanted me to ask you. And excuse me for wanting to make your first time special, Kat." Rhea pulled swiftly and abruptly into the drive.

I undid my seat belt, opening the door to get out as soon as I could. I didn't want to be around her right now.

"Walking away?" Rhea stopped me, still sat in the car, and I looked at her from my door, before shutting it. "Nervous? Don't wanna say things to my face?" Rhea was really angry. I could see and hear that. She also sounded hurt. "I had to-" she shook her head. "I had to hear that you loved me through a god damn text, Kat."

I didn't want to hear anymore. I shut the door and went to the door, using the keys from my pocket to go inside.

Inside, I immediately stopped at what i saw. What was set up.

The lounge room was dimly lit. Candles and small twinkling lights. Blankets and endless soft pillows were set up on the ground, where she made space by moving the couches and tables out of the way.

There was a bottle of wine, a tray of cheeses and chocolates too. Glasses. Two sets of silky pyjamas. Slippers. On the tv, a movie was set up. Something that looked comedy.