Chapter 29: Regrets

Nu squinted his eyes as he adjusted to the light when the black cloth was removed from his head. He was now in a room with nothing but an empty chair. 

“Leave him untied. Just make sure that he won’t escape this time.” 

Nu turned his head around and saw Clarence about to leave. He chases him and calls his name, “Clarence.” Nunew calls him softly. 

He pulls up all his strength and punches him hard in the face. Nu loathes violence but with him, he can make an exception. 

The bodyguards were fast enough to hold Nu back. “Let go of me!” He shouted.

Clarence walked towards Nu, “I won’t let you go yet, baby.” He tilted Nu’s chin and cupped Nu’s cheeks tightly.

Nu turns his head from left to right to whisk away Clarence's hands. “I AM NOT YOUR BABY!” he says through gritted teeth.

Clarence smirked, blood visible from his mouth. “Be patient, now be good if you don’t want my brother to suffer more than he should.” He spits the blood from his mouth in front of Nu and wipes the blood off his lips. 

_____

A faint breathing can be heard from Zee who was tied to a chair. His body and face were full of bruises from fighting back. He is tired and has lost all his strength. He closed his eyes but it didn’t last long when he opened it as soon as he heard a voice not far from him. 

“You seem to plan to starve yourself to death. Aren’t you concerned that you won’t be able to see him anymore?” Clarence grabs the chair and sits in front of him. “You know that he was so worried about you he was begging me to free you and just have him instead.” 

Zee raises his head, “You bastard! What did you do to him? You make sure that you never laid a finger on him because if you do, I will make sure that you will regret it.” 

“Oh, you need not worry about that as I believe I only left a bruise on your little precious fiance.” Clarence sneered. 

“You!” Zee tries to break free from his seat but fails to do so. 

“Ah..ah..ah…” Clarence waved a finger to him. “If I were you I would not use all my strength and save some for later, Hia.” 

“Don’t call me that. I was never your brother and you never treated me as one.” Zee harshly moved his head away from Clarence's hands and looked at him angrily. 

“I was by your side the whole time! I even took care of Nu for you when you were away!” 

Zee let out a contemptuous laugh. “Really? You were really on my side? As far as I remember you worked or should I say cooperate with Grandpa six years ago, to have me and Nu break up. You introduced Ellie to Grandpa and fed him the idea of engagement for you to gain his favour, you and your mother played so well with Grandpa’s anger toward Grandma Sarah and dragging us along the way.” 

Zee’s sharp gaze could pierce Clarence's soul. “And you did get what you both wanted, didn’t you? You earn one-fourth of the hotel shares with grandpa’s approval but that was never enough for you because you are just like your mother, too greedy for money, that she is willing to kill our father.” 

“Don’t bring her into this!” Clarence shakes in anger and punches Zee in the stomach. 

Zee grunted at the impact and coughed. He inhales roughly and exhales easing the pain that he feels. “Don’t bring her into this? But wasn't she the one who manipulated you to destroy my family? To tamper with the death certificate of Nu’s parents so that no one will ever know what exactly happened that very day and when both of you saw that you were failing to break me and Nu up with Ellie’s appearance, you threatened Ellie into not helping her family so that she will agree on getting pregnant. You drugged her and feed her to whoever that fucking hound is and when you were so sure that she was pregnant, you were the one who told Grandpa first and suggested the idea for us to leave the country as it was good for ‘the reputation.’ ”