Chapter 11 - The (re)beginning of the relationship

Eriss POV

I woke up to a noise, it was difficult to get used to the dim light and the tiredness I felt. I feel a hand on my shoulder.

-I prepared some snacks for you, you need to eat something. And you should go sleep somewhere more comfortable. - says Killer, patting me on the head.

-I don't want to leave him alone, I'm afraid. - I feel tears filling my eyes once again.

-We all do, but he is strong and you did the best you could. He will wake up Eriss, trust me. Do you want me to stay here and rest?

-No, it's almost time for medication. I'll call you later. Thanks. - he nods and leaves, closing the door.

I squat down on the sofa, holding my legs, and start crying uncontrollably, once again. When I saw him on the floor passed out, covered in blood, I was floored. The fear of losing him took over me, I wouldn't be able to go through that pain again. It was Wire that managed to bring me to reality, and I had to swallow all the avalanche I felt and fulfill my role as a doctor. I managed to treat the wounds, but they would leave marks, however his arm was too destroyed to be accepted by the body that was already struggling between life and death.

I get up and start examining it once again. My heart stopped for microseconds each time I allowed myself to appreciate his serenity, his disheveled red hair, his bare torso covered in bandages, the black pants that fit his appearance so well.

I hadn't realized it, but I spent my days talking to him, telling him the story I wanted him to hear instead of pushing me away, the adventures until I found him again, and my wishes for the future.

I pull up a chair and sit next to it, leaning on the bed, I take his hand and intertwine our fingers.

-Kimi was my first passion for all the discovery that the female body caused in me, but Kid, it was you who always left me breathless at the simplest touches. I shouldn't have ignored my feelings. I'm sorry, it was never my intention to hurt you. - I wipe away the tears and pat my face. - Because of me, we close ourselves back to what we feel. Which made me finally understand everything I felt and the answer was always in front of me. That's why you have to be strong, I need you, as captain and as the man in my life.

I let out a sigh and curled up in his arm, eventually falling asleep again.

-I fell asleep again, I think it's night, I better go get more coffee.

I'm about to get up when I feel Kid's fingers stop me.

-Don't go, stay with me. I'm weak, but I don't want to lose you again. Eriss promise ... -his voice was weak, but she couldn't be more relieved knowing he was starting to recover.

-I promise Eutass, I won't go anywhere again. - I start crying again and hug him.

-Ah, it hurts!

-Oops, sorry. He tries to sleep again. - he quickly falls asleep again.

...

Kid was starting to show signs of improvement, I gave in to his request to go to his room instead of staying in the infirmary, but I still wouldn't leave his side. I took advantage of the fact that he was sleeping and went to take a quick shower. I lost track of how many days I hadn't rested properly, I felt my body relax with the hot water. I wear tight black shorts, a black crop top and put my hair in a bun.

When I came out of the bathroom, Kid was trying to get up.

-Kid, you shouldn't make any effort, the wounds are deep and can open again. - I run to him and just in time to catch him.

-I can't stand lying down anymore. I want to take a shower, I think it will help me.

-You're so hard-headed - he pouts, fuck, I can't resist - okay, I'll call Killer to help you.

-No, I can do it alone.

-No, you can't, the wounds are recent, you need to be careful.

-Then help me, no one will know better than you.

-I...it would be better if we talked first...I don't want things to get awkward between us again.

Kid POV

-Eriss, it's an order. You are our doctor and the most competent person I know. - I stroke her face.

Killer had told me how devastated Eriss had been, but he still managed to treat my wounds and never left my side again. I felt it when she was talking to me, I remember it vaguely because I was under the effect of medication, but the most important thing was the feeling she emanated from me. During the fight with Shanks, when I saw Eriss being surrounded by enemies, my heart froze and I just thought that I didn't want to lose her. I also want to give her an opportunity...

-Do I really have to go into the bathtub wearing my boxers?

-Yes, and don't even think about taking them off, you're already lucky enough to let you take a bath.

She sits on the edge of the bathtub and takes a sponge and starts to wet my body. I took a pretty good beating, my body is full of cuts and very deep wounds on the side where that shit ripped off my arm.

She's gentle, but I still let out a few grunts of pain from the wounds on my neck and stomach.

-Am I hurting you? - those velvety colored eyes shine and warm my soul.

-No, it's just uncomfortable.

-I thought I was going to lose you. My world stopped when I saw you on the floor lifeless. - she drops her strong posture until now and begins to cry desperately. - I'm sorry, I was an idiot, I should have told you.

-Princess - I hug her and pull her towards me - I should be the one asking for your forgiveness, I shouldn't have been a scoundrel and made you suffer even more.

Her crying becomes even more intense and she clings to my neck.

-I'm fine, you can rest. You've taken care of me until now, it's time for me to start paying you back. I also want you to be the woman of my life. - She leans on my shoulders, careful not to rest on the wounds, and looks at me with a look of astonishment. - I may have heard one or two of the conversations you had with me.

I take one of the strands of her hair and start to twirl it around my fingers, making her relax and smile like I haven't seen in a long time.