Chapter 28 - A new crew member

-Although we have the eternal log pose for the island, it is better to follow the other route. The navy is keeping its eyes on us, as the straw hats continue to show no signs of life, and we don't want to make anyone more visible. But I reviewed the plans with Wire and Heat and we should still have another five islands before we reach our final destination. Which gives us more than enough time to train and get more information.

-hum, hum – I was lost in my thoughts, Hop was still hiding in the basement and I felt bad for leaving her alone after what she went through.

-Eris, are you listening to me?! Then you complain that I don't keep you up to date with the plans, and your head is in the clouds again.

Kid brings me to reality using his powers and pulling on the metal of my bracelets.

-I have something to tell you, but I need you not to exaggerate your reaction, much less to start an argument.

-hmm, it would be great to have a calm moment, seems impossible... Spill it out, but I make no promises.

-I found a woman hiding in the basement, she...

-What? And just now you tell me? – he gets up and bangs his fist on the table.

-Can you let me finish? Fuck, I asked you to calm down! Sit down. – he sits back down but doesn't break his gaze on me. -She ran away from a brothel where she was being treated poorly, she was a little injured but I took care of her. Her name is Hop and I don't think she's a threat, on the contrary. She was just scared and trying to live.

-You should have come and told me straight away, Eriss! Is she still in the basement?

-Yes, I thought it would be better for her to remain hidden until the end of the day when the gang is no longer wandering around the deck.

-Okay, maybe it wasn't bad judgment. But that doesn't take away from the fact that you're just now telling me, I'm the captain.

-Fuck Kid, can you focus on what's important? I was lucky that you saved me, she wasn't. You know what that means, don't you?

He leans against the back of the chair and puts his hand on his head, thinking. I go to him and slide my hands over his shoulders and lean on them.

-What do you want to do, captain?

-You and your smooth talk, humf – he shrugs in an attempt to stop me from leaning on them – do you trust her?

-She's not a danger to us, and I don't think she's a spy. She has bruises on her wrists and heels from those she was chained to. I needed to examine her further, but I believe there are more scattered throughout her body.

-That's not a yes.

-It's not a no either, captain. Okay, she had a sword with her, but as soon as I discovered it she didn't even grab it, she probably just picked it up to defend herself.

-A sword Eriss? And you think it's not a danger? – this time he gets up, which almost makes me hit my chair, and starts walking around the office.

-Did you by any chance give her any hope of her staying here?

-No. I'm impulsive but I know that this is your decision. But I didn't mind having female company. – I can't contain a smile, because deep down I really wanted him to accept her into the group.

-Stop that smile, damn you.

I go back to my seat and finish my plate, while I give him time to think.