Chapter 38

Sophie pov

It has been a week, and I have not seen or spoken to jobe.

Since that party at the kings castle. a part of me is happy to be left alone for once but...

Benita and Bernice were released. But that does not change what happened to Jordan, the man who rode the carriage that day.

My life is quiet, filled with guilt.

At least I could vent my anger on jobe or talk about it with Benita and Bernice, but they are gone.

I walked to the balcony of my room. It faced the maze close to the stream. I promised to go everyday. I have not kept to that promise at all.

That was the place he muttered the strangest thing to me. It is as if my mind never goes there even if I want it to go there.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It has been another week and jobe has not come to see me and requested for my presence.

The new workers replacing Bernice and Benita are so quiet. I do not blame them. I made Benita and Bernice lose their jobs, if I were them, ill keep things professional too.

I really do not want to cause more trouble with jobe or anyone.

That is why I have been calm, accepting my fate.

Melanin travelled to Denmark immediately the run happened. I envy that she gets to travel, and I cannot.

I mean I can go outside, just within this mansion grounds. I can visit the stream and take walks
And there's a lot of rooms used for different things.
I remember jobe paints on the same floor of my former Room. suddenly, I wanted to see those paintings he does. When I was there, he was painting a weird object I held.

I walked out of my room heading to the gallery.

I was in the floor of the gallery walking on the hallways, then sited jobe and lucas walking towards me. Oh no

I was suddenly scared for a reason I do not know.

He looked pale and he is hair messier than usual.

That should not be your problem now Sophie, I cautioned myself.

He was talking to Lucas, so he did not notice me until we were closer. I stopped. I wanted to do a bow, but I have never done that to jobe, I feel ill be more uncomfortable if I do that.

He also stops with Lucas. Lucas gave a little bow. He obviously does not like me, he after gave me lashing on how selfish and ungrateful I am which I totally agree on.

"Good morning lord Jobe "

"And to you Sir Lucas I said."

Jobe looked at me from head to feet.

He's eyes stopped on my arm.

"What happened there "he asked still looking at my arm.

I traced he's eyes to a small mark on my arm.

How did he notice that. I hurt myself when I was panicking that Bernice and Benita left and Jordan, that man who helped me, something bad must have happened to him.
I'm too scared to ask. What if I cannot take it.

"Oh that" I chuckled.

"I bumped into wooden table in my room" I said.

He looked at me suspiciously as if he knew I was lying.

How could he act like this after kisses me twice, then stays away for weeks and acts as if

I mean I am not affected it is just not right.

"Did you travel" I asked him.

"No, I didn't" he answered.

"Oh, I thought you did because it has been a while since I saw you" I blurted out.
Why did I say that. I do not want hm to get the wrong idea.

"I was busy with some issues,Do you need anything?" He asked

What I really want, it's not as if you'll do it for me
But if I say this, it'll make him angry
And the don't wanna cause more trouble

"Not I do not"

He looked at me keenly then nodded he's head

"Ill get going, I've got something to do" I gave a little bow, heading to the gallery.

~}~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

Of course, the gallery was locked so I went back to my room. After a few minutes. someone knocked on the door of my room. I walked there, opened the door, and saw a lot of workers(maids) with dresses, shoes.

"Greetings my lady, we have to get you ready for the nomination party tonight "A woman at the front said.

What party I asked.

"its happening tonight" another replied.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There was a huge mirror in my room, and I saw myself from head to feet. It was like the black sleeved dress was made for me. My hair was tied back with ribbon pins and accessories. I could not recognise myself.

"You look pretty my lady" one of them said.

After they were done, they all left. Comfortable garments are always basic and ugly while pretty clothes are uncomfortable, but this dress was just right. it must have cost a lot of money.

I heard a knock on my door and the door opened before I could reach there. It was jobe.

He looked nice when he dresses classy, he's s hair was perfect, and he's green eyes are perfect.

"You didn't tell me there was a party I needed to attend today."

"It slipped my mind" he said looking at my dress and me.
I scoffed then he said
"You're beautiful "
All my maids said this , but when I heard him say it, my stomach had this fudgy feeling.
"Thank you, the dress is really pretty " I said, I had to say something

"I have something for you." He said bringing out this pretty carved. polished wood box.

It had a red diamond on it. it was so beautiful.

"It looks pretty" I said.

Allow me to wear it on you. He asked.

He had it on me. I looked at the mirror on how I looked on it.

Why is he giving me a gift out of nowhere.

"Sophie" he softly muttered my name this time.

"yes" I answered curious of what he was going to say next.

"No matter what happens in the party in a few moments, I want you to stay calm" he said.

"Why don't you just tell me what might happen, like give me a heads up or something" I said because being calm is not my specialty at all.

He smiles when he hears me and speaks.

"Then it wont be a surprise anymore."

What, for heavens sake is jobe planning