HERO FILE #10 - The Ray

"Trust me, in my long life I've seen more than you can handle kiddo."

GENERAL

Name: Ray Medai (レイ 目代)
Alias: The Ray, The Legendary Mentor (ザ・レイ、伝説のメンター | Za Rei, Densetsu no Mentā)
Nicknames: None
Age: 65
DOB: 01/03
Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Blood Type: A
Height: 1m87
Weight: 86 kg
Hair: White
Eyes: Right eye: Red. Left eye: White; Green (formerly)
Special physical features: His scar on the left eye.

Gender: Male
Orientation: Heterosexual
Marital Status: Divorced
Occupation: Pro Hero
Place of Birth: New York, USA
Ethnicity: Japanese American

Hero Rank: Unknown
Agency/Office/Team: The Ray Agency
Place of Operation: Nabari, Mie
Focused Role: Civilian help

PERSONALITY

"What do you want, kid? My guidance? Ha, you wouldn't survive it."

Q U A L I T Y | F L A W

✔ | Devoted | Altruistic | Educated | Protective | Courageous |

✖ | Stubborn | Bitter | Reserved | Ruthless | Secretive |

L I K E S
◇ Hiking
◇ Loneliness
◇ Reading
◇ Studying nature

D I S L I K E S
◇ Being bothered
◇ Crowded places
◇ Being the center of attention
◇ Expressing emotions

R E C A P

Ray is a devoted, altruistic, and educated individual who displays courage and a protective nature, particularly when assisting his village and sharing his medical and scientific knowledge. However, his stubbornness and bitterness may pose challenges in collaboration, and his reserved demeanor, coupled with a hint of ruthlessness in teaching, can make him seem aloof. Despite these flaws, Ray's commitment to helping others and his courage in the face of challenges showcase a multifaceted personality, complemented by his secretive nature that guards his deeper emotions.

Ray finds solace and contentment in the simplicity of hiking through nature, relishing the tranquility and solitude it offers. His love for reading and studying nature reflects his deep intellectual and inquisitive side, valuing moments of introspection and gaining knowledge. On the contrary, Ray strongly dislikes being bothered, particularly in crowded places where he feels out of his element. The aversion to being the center of attention aligns with his reserved nature, as he values the quiet moments of solitude and independence. Similarly, expressing emotions is a discomfort for him, adding a layer of complexity to his character, where his personal preferences intertwine with his individuality.

PERSONAL LIFE

B I O G R A P H Y

Born at a time when the profession of pro heroes had not yet fully emerged, and the phenomena of quirks, then known as Meta Abilities, had spread to 80% of the population as we know it today, Ray grew up in the United States in a family of scientists navigating an era of chaos and change. Intrigued by the phenomenon of Meta Abilities, he initially pursued a scientific career focused on their study. At the age of 20, he decided to leave his family to further his research in Japan, the homeland of his father's family, where the Meta Human phenomenon had unprecedented significance. Ray's interest shifted towards heroism when, two years later, the first man dubbed the Symbol of Peace emerged, giving rise to the profession of Pro Heroes. Thus, The Ray was born.
For 6 years, Japan experienced an unprecedented era of peace, allowing The Ray to find love, get married, and even when the first Symbol of Peace disappeared, he did not lose hope and continued to be a Pro Hero with his wife, who gave birth to a son two years later. Despite the period of terror and the rise of super villains, Ray raised his son as the hero he envisioned, instilling in him the desire to become a mentor for other young heroes, like the young man who would become Ultra Bright.
However, everything changed 15 years ago when Ultra Bright became the new Symbol of Peace, and The Ray lost his son, his left eye, and his hopes for the future. Following this tragedy, he withdrew from society, his wife left him, and he never heard from her again. His only connection to the world remained his last disciple, Ultra Bright, who reignited the flame of mentorship by introducing him to Ken.

R E L A T I O N S H I P S

Father: Hiroshi Medai - Scientist (Deceased)
Mother: Elizabeth Medai - Civil Scientist (Deceased)
Brother(s)/Sister(s): None
Best friends: None
Friends: None
Crush:
None
Rival:
None
Nemesis:
The Collector

QUIRK

"Think you can run? Try and turn to ash!"

Type: MutantRange: Long to MediumPrimary Role: Ranged Support and SurveillanceFighting Style: Strategic and Defensive

Type: Mutant
Range: Long to Medium
Primary Role: Ranged Support and Surveillance
Fighting Style: Strategic and Defensive

Stats:
Power: 4/5 | B
Speed: 3/5 | C
Technique: 4/5 | B
Intelligence: 5/5 | A
Cooperativeness: 2/5 | D
Quirk Control: 5/5 | A

A B I L I T Y | S K I L L S

Name: ThermiX Vision

Description: Before losing the vision in his left eye 15 years ago, The Ray could emit X-rays from that eye, allowing him to see through solid objects and identify hidden structures. Although the loss of X-ray vision was a setback, it unexpectedly amplified the power of his right eye. From his right eye, he can now emit powerful heat rays, serving as both an offensive weapon and a tool for cutting through objects. This enhanced ability grants him greater intensity and precision in projecting heat rays. Additionally, his right eye provides the unique capability of seeing in infrared, allowing him to detect heat signatures and navigate through darkness.

Drawbacks: The prolonged and intense use of the heat rays from his right eye can lead to significant fatigue and strain, occasionally resulting in temporary blindness. Furthermore, excessive reliance on his heat vision may result in burns to his eyelid, underscoring the potential physical toll and risks associated with this powerful ability.

H E R O S U I T | I T E M S
◇ A form-fitting black bodysuit with red trims, overlaid by a dark green garment featuring golden bands, reminiscent of a Roman toga with a prominent red X-shaped symbol is displayed on the chest.
◇ A black hooded cape with golden stripes.
◇ Sturdy boots and metallic red double bracelets.
◇ A black belt with a central red trim encircling the waist and a dark green eye patch shaped like an X covering his left eye.

S T R E N G T H S
◇ Versatile offensive capabilities, allowing for precise projection and the ability to cut through objects.
◇ Can effectively engage in combat and navigate various situations with the unique capacity to see in infrared.

W E A K N E S S E S
◇ Temporary blindness can pose a notable risk during intense hero activities.
◇ Excessive reliance on heat vision increases the potential for burns to his eyelid, emphasizing the need for careful control to avoid self-inflicted harm.