Chapter 32: The truth

Continuation of flashback

Cleo's pov

Karma was out of control, Taehyung was a complete mess, and as for me and Anni... We didn't know what to do. Nayeon came in asking us what had happened but none of us could answer her. We couldn't believe Y/n would say such things. "How about... We forget about her? It'll be less painful for you, Tae." Karma suggested after Anni finally calmed her down. Taehyung agreed, and so it was settled. We decided it was best to just move on. Taehyung continued to feel guilt though, he would get nightmares every night. When we finally were able to come to school Nayeon and Taehyung decided to pretend as though they're dating, just to give Taehyung some peace of mind whenever he'd accidentally catch Y/n around.

End of flashback

Your pov

"Then that's when we started to find out more information about Rook." Cleo said. I took in all the information she had just explained to me. "So... Taehyung really was broken?" Was all I could say. Cleo simply nodded, pulling me into a hug, "I'm sorry, we didn't realise what was happening till later..."

Flashback

The day before Taehyung asked Y/n out.

Rook came to visit me at her dorm whilst Cleo was out. "Oh... Rook." I opened the door to see Rook stood there awkwardly. "Can I come in?" He asked, he seemed like he had something important to say, so I decided to let him in. Once he was inside he went and sat on one of the chairs in our room. I sat beside him, waiting for him to say what he needed. "Y/n... I know I haven't been, well, the best towards you. And I apologise for that." He started as he fiddled with his fingers and bit his lip. "But there's one thing I want you to know." He looked up into my eyes.

"You and Taehyung don't belong together. You never will, and you wanna know why?" He came closer to me and whispered into my ear, "because you're too afraid. You know he's a killer, don't you?" Rook smirked as he pulled away from my ear. I sat without speaking, I didn't know what to say. "You're confused, right?" He gained my attention again. He leaned back on the chair, as he adjusted his cap. "You see... I once had a girlfriend. But she ended up falling for Taehyung." Rook rubbed the space between his forehead, as if this conversation was a difficult one to have. "He took away my one true love." Rook's eyes began to water as he sniffled and looked away. "I loved her, she was my first and only love." Whatever he said started to feel strange though, he looked at me oddly. He tilted his head, his eyes red and lips puffed out from the tears. "You know... You look a lot like her." He whispered eerily. He suddenly chuckled, "but she's not you, after all... She's dead." His eyes turned dark as he looked at me emotionless.

What was that supposed to mean? Did Taehyung kill her? "What..." He shoved his finger to my lips, "shhh, now now, don't jump to any conclusions. Taehyung wasn't found guilty, but he wasn't proven innocent either. I'm just warning you to be careful. If he ever asks you out, think about this conversation." Rook gave a warm smile, before he stood up and left the room.

End of flashback

"What did you find out about Rook?" I asked Cleo. "You won't like this, but it's true. He's working with an evil man, I don't know his plans, but they do real bad stuff." She licked her lips nervously before she continued. "Rook isn't the good guy he acts like he is. He's planning something, and I think you're in a lot of danger." Cleo nervously looked around, and I followed suit. "Cleo, tell me, what is it?" My heart was beating inside my ears, the anticipation was killing me.

"He trafficks people, he sells them to this man. I don't know what happens to them after, but he does send them away." My throat went dry, I knew he wasn't a good guy, but how could he possibly do this whilst being inside of an institution? "Not only that, but... He..." Cleo had a lump in her throat, she couldn't get her words out clear as her eyes clouded with tears. "He... Hired someone to kill... Anni." She managed to let out the devastating words. I felt my world crashing down, I had seeked refuge with the very person who killed my best friend.

"She caught him talking to the man outside and she listened in on the conversation... But he caught her. She managed to tell us before... Before she was killed." Cleo sobbed more and more, taking shaky breaths as she tried to calm herself down. "And we think... You're his next victim." Cleo finished, gaining back her strength and looking up at me. "I trust you... What's your plan?"