Friends or More?

Jane's POV

"Okay, locker area, entryway, science, math, and history hallways, one h.h. hallway and four classrooms got finished. Second hall and three classrooms are now underway." I look at Smiley. "We're making really good progress today."

"Of course we are, and we should have everything wrapped up in time for the festival, as long as we keep everybody working." She glares over at Allen who was guzzling down a bottle of water.

"Hey—" He coughs, "You try toting around all those boxes to all the different people."

"He's got a point Smiley, but I thought Carpet was supposed to be helping you, Allen."

"Not carpet, Mat, and he was until he took noticed of one of the velvet throw rugs in the lounge." He shakes his head, "Anyway, how long do we have until we lose all our volunteers?"

"I'd say about another hour. We want them to be able to get home at a decent time. Though, it may take that whole hour to round everyone up." I glance to the end of the hall to see Lonnie rough-housing with one of her god-sisters.

"Eh, we can just shout free pizza in the middle garden, everyone will head there, including the middle schoolers."

"Maybe some but not all, believe me." Smiley rolls her eyes as she climbs on one of the stools. "The minute Scowl sees more than four people he gets all moody and frowny and just horrible to be around."

"Well, he may just not like group settings?" I defend, remembering how Cass had told me about how Smiley had been acting. "I mean, I'm not a big fan of them either."

"But with you it's just shyness. You're great once you start talking to people. With him it's all, short sentences, growly behavior, an 'I-don't-want-to-be-here' attitude. Honestly he's like that most if not all the time."

"Well, his name is Scowl," Allen points out, picking up a streamer to fidget with, "but I gotta say, I've seen him with a couple guys, and he's seemed pretty chill. Maybe an offhanded comment every now and again, but otherwise wasn't too bad."

"Oh pah-lease! You two know he doesn't like anyone. Well . . . except for one person."

"Who's that?"

"C'mon Barbie! Let's go party!"

"Ah ah ah yeah!"

"C'mon Barbie! Let's go party!"

"Awoo! Awoo!"

We all turn and see Scowl with Cass on his head passing by the hall and singing happily.

"C'mon Barbie! Let's go party!"

"Ah ah ah yeah!"

"C'mon Barbie! Let's go party!"

"Awoo! Awoo!" We hear before Cass erupts into giggles for me to smile. Aww, that's really cute.

"And you said I was crazy for trying to set them up." Smiley says as I turn back and see Dexter had joined us.

"You are crazy! Just because they're having a good time together doesn't mean anything!"

"It's not just this time Dexter! They've had a blast every time they've been together! It's true love at its finest and you can't get in the way of that!"

"Smiley, you can't say it's true love when they don't even have crushes on each other!"

"So, they're denial! That's why we have to help them! Besides you have to admit they would make an adorable couple!"

"She's got a point Dex." Allen says, smashing his water bottle, "Not about the cute couple thing, but you have to say he did seem really happy with her there."

"So what? That doesn't change the fact she's going on that date with Hayden Monday."

"No, but it is kind of suspicious that she's hanging out more with your cousin rather than the guy she's supposed to start dating."

"It's not that suspicious, Allen." I defend, "Her and Hayden have seen each other in Internet Safety every day and they've had dinner together in the caf multiple nights now, and they won't be dating until they actually go on their first date. Plus, Cass even mentioned that she wanted to introduce Scowl to him so there wouldn't be any jealousy."

"Mm, yeah," Smiley hums, rocking on her heals, "but you know, Cass didn't even want to go out with Hayden."

"Smiley," Dex warns as I also notice an odd gleam in her eyes. "I don't know what you're thinking, but whatever it is, I'm begging you not to do it."

"Oh, you worry too much Dexter. Anyway, I'm afraid my mental health has taken all the decorating I can do today. Though I assume we're picking this back up again tomorrow?"

"Um," I pause to look at the schedule, "Monday after school actually. We thought it best to give everyone a day of rest, and we still have midterms to study for."

"Right. Right. Well, I'll see you guys at dinner, I guess. Au revoir." Smiley calls skipping down the hall. I shake my head. Oh, this can't be good.

Meanwhile

Cass's POV

"Oh yeah, corn is completely safe for us to eat. It's encouraged actually." I was telling Scowl. We had finished up the conversation in the forest and had come back through the school to be in the main garden. Though I did wonder where Hayden was since he said he'd be around the other night.

"I'll have to tell that to Sully. His cat will be here in another month."

"Well, when they arrive, I'd love to meet them. Is it full grown or a kitten?"

"Kitten. Going to be about 10 weeks old when it arrives." He says for me to whistle.

"Well, be patient with it. Takes time for a cat to get used to a new place, especially when it's that young. Oh, and keep them away from wires." I suggest for him to nod before I spot Hayden heading across the garden.

"Hey Hayden! Hayden!" I call for him to continue to the dorms. Hands in his pockets and head down.

"Guess he didn't hear me. Oh well, I can talk to him tonight at dinner. You sticking around for it?"

"Nah, we're leaving here in a few minutes. The bus is supposed to take everyone home."

"Well, if that's the case, we should probably find Smiley." I start to get up.

"Mm, nah." I stop and look to see him leaning back in his chair.

"No? Why not?"

"Well, you know, we're both secure in our friendship and know we're never going to date. "

"Fair, but once she finds out, it'll put a stop to everything."

"Right, and don't get me wrong I'll be happy when she stops texting me about it. But, well you know. . . ." He fidgets with his chain.

"It's hard. Yeah." I nod, sitting back down. "How bout this? I'll talk to her about how I feel about everything, and then you can talk to her when you're ready?"

"Perfect." He says as I see the edges of his lips slightly turn up.

"What was that?"

"What was what?"

"That thing on your face." I smirk, "Was that a. . . smile?"

"What no." He chuckles, turning away.

"Did I just make Mr. Sunshine Scowl smile?"

"No, I just—" He pauses, "I mean— you won't— that is— Don't tell Smiley." He huffs pointing at me. I giggle.

"Sure thing, Sunnyboy." I grin before we lead the discussion into Spooker territory. Oh, I love our friendship.

Well, looks like things worked out with Scowl after all. But what is it that Scowl needs to say?  What was up with Hayden? What is Smiley up to? Stay tuned and you'll find out!