Brothers

6:30 p.m.

Lonnie POV

"Okay, jacket, wallet, helmets, shoes," Ben lists, shuffling around the room. I had just got back from Judo class and decided to pop in and give him a bit of a pep talk before he goes on his second date with Mal.

"Um, handkerchief, tie, um, um, uh, oh what else am I forgetting!?"

"Pants," I say leaning on the bed's headrest.

"Pants? Pants!" He looks at his legs for me to laugh.

"Gotcha!" He glares at me.

"Not funny Lonnie."

"Yeah it was." I snicker for him to sigh.

"Well, don't you have somewhere else to be?"

"Mm, no." I say stretching, "Just got back from Judo, my brother's doing paperwork, and I've already changed into a tank top and sweats. I'm not doing anything else until tomorrow." He chuckles going to straighten his tie in the mirror again.

"You know when Audrey and the others see you, they'll freak."

"Eh let 'em." I huff, fixing my top, "The others think that being a princess means being all prim and proper."

"Well, they've got a point. I—I mean . . ." He turns to see me glaring.

"You know my femininity should not be defined by other people's standards, Benjamin Florian!" I growl, moving to the edge of the bed. He knows the next words that come out of his mouth could earn him an atomic wedgie and a black eye.

"No, no, no! I just mean —uh, you're just— er, tough? Tough! Yeah—uh—They just don't understand the whole sword fighting—self-defense—tough girl stuff. Heh, uh," I see the fear building in his eyes. I sigh.

"Well, to be honest, ever since the VK's came, I felt like I can kinda show that side of me again." I look at my hands, "You know I kind of was the outcast last year." I look up to see him nod.

We had started Auradon Prep together, already having met during the sibling weekends where I'd come visit Lil' Shang. As you can guess, we hit it off well and became great friends. He introduced me to Doug, Chad, and Audrey, but after I had punched Chad in the nose for saying that I was too little to be a good fighter, Audrey gossiped about me behind my back. Needless to say, I didn't get a lot of other female friends freshman year. So, I started this year putting on this 'goodie two-shoes' mask.

Ben walks over and sits by me.

"I know," He puts his hand on my shoulder, "I wondered if the VK's would help you get back to yourself. Ya know, girly yet tough, and I can tell they have." He smiles. "It's good to have ya back."

"I'm happy to be back." I smile at him. He then stands up.

"So anyway, how do I look?" He says standing tall. I study him a minute and lean back.

"Like an Enchanted Fortress playing dork about to be eaten by the dragon." I joke.

"Ha ha ha, I'll have you know, I grew out of that kid game when I was twelve." He goes back to the mirror.

"Ben, I see the empty box over there," I motion to the evidence by the tv, "you're still a dork and a half." I get up and saunter to the door.

"Well maybe, but you gotta remember. I may be a dork, but I am the king."

"Fine then," I turn back to him, "You're King Dork. Ruler of Lamesville." I give a mocking bow.

"Psh, get outta here." He laughs. I give my last farewell before I head to find my brother. As I pass the lounge though, I hear Audrey talking.