Chapter 40- Daniel's POV

My mom and dad stopped talking when we entered the dining room and looked at us. She smiled and dipped her head closer to her chest while she looked at us. "Daniel, Katie," she said with a small hum in her voice, and I offered her a tight smile. "How did you sleep?"

"Good," I said while I dipped my head closer to my chest. I walked over to her, squeezing my mate's hand. "How did you sleep? Are you ok?"

"Hmph." She slowly nodded and cleared her throat while she shifted in her seat. "I slept well," she said and moved a hand across her belly. "The baby is ready to come out any day now, aren't you?" She looked at her belly and wrinkled her nose while she pursed her lips in annoyance, and I bit back a small smile while she looked at me again.

She cleared her throat and shifted in her seat. "So, how did you two sleep?" she asked while she raised an eyebrow in question.

"Good," I said and slowly nodded before I looked at my mate and raised an eyebrow in question. "How about you? How did you sleep?"

Katie smiled and nodded. She didn't say a word, and I had a feeling that it was because of the others in the room, even though I had a feeling she was comfortable to talk to in front of my mother and father.

My mother sighed with relief and cleared her throat. "Good," she said. "No nightmares?" she asked while she raised an eyebrow in question, looking at my mate, and my mate hesitated before she shook her head no.

I shifted slightly on my feet, and my mother instantly looked at me with a raised eyebrow and so did my mate. I shook my head and silently told her that I would tell her later, and she hummed before she slowly nodded.

My mate squeezed my hand, and I looked at her. She furrowed her brows and cocked her head while she studied me, silently asking me what was wrong and why I wanted to talk to her privately.

I offered her a small smile and squeezed her hand before I shook my head, and she scowled and narrowed her eyes while she looked at me. "Do you want to go sit with them and I can bring you some food?" I asked while I raised an eyebrow in question before I relaxed it, changing the subject and praying that she would let me. "Breakfast is ready, right?" I looked at my mother when I asked that and raised an eyebrow in question again.

My mother nodded in confirmation. "It is," she confirmed. She rubbed her belly some more and looked at it before she looked at my mate. "Do you want to sit?" she asked and raised an eyebrow in question, gesturing towards the chair beside her.

Katie hesitated before she looked at me and then at my mom. She didn't say a word and slowly nodded before she gave me a quick peck on the lips and then walked over to them.

I bit back a small smile while I watched my mate give my mom a quick hug, and my mom whispered something in her ear, something that I didn't try to hear.

Katie nodded and walked over to a seat. She looked at me and cocked her head, smiling a little, silently wondering if I was going to go and get her food or was just going to stand there and stare.

I bit back a small chuckle and dipped my head closer to my chest. "I mean, I wouldn't mind just standing and staring at my beautiful mate," I said, and her cheeks turned just as red as her hair.

'Stop,' she said, her cheeks turning redder, and my mother chuckled while she stared at us, leaning back in her seat. 'Please.'

"And go ahead and get her food," my mother said, and I looked at her and scowled playfully. She smiled and tucked her head closer to her chest, staring at me with eyes filled with amusement. "She needs something to eat."

"I know, Mom," I said while I nodded. I cleared my throat and looked around the room, not seeing my cousin before I looked at her again. "Where's the child?" I asked, and I raised an eyebrow in question.