Chapter 21- Daniel

A/N: Eeeeeek. I can not wait to write this AU. xD I have so much planned for it, so get ready for some heartbreak if you do read it. (Whenever it will be up.)

~Rissa

____________________________________________________________________________

I furrowed my brows and looked between the two of them. I became restless as I caught my mother's hard gaze on him and shifted, knowing full well that he was shifting as well. No one spoke, and the tension was so thick that it could be cut with a knife.

"Tell her what?" my father asked, stirring first. Warning filled his voice, and it made me stiff as well. He was getting angry and protective of her, and I understood because this was his mate, even though he had treated her like shit at the beginning of their relationship with each other. "What didn't you tell her?"

"The cameras in her apartment," Roger said. He raised his hand to stop Dad from growling and lashing out, protectively. "Now, we needed those cameras in her apartment to protect her or at least see if she can protect herself."

"Why?" Dad growled out angrily. "Give me one good reason why I shouldn't just kill you where you sit." He wanted to move from his seat, but a single touch from Mom made him stay settled. However, that did not stop him from looking at Roger with glaring eyes.

Roger sighed and reached into his jacket but stopped when my father growled. "Control, yourself, David," he said. "If I had wanted to kill you, I would not be reaching for these." He pulled out a manila envelope and handed it to Mom. "You are not human; I hope you know that."

"I am aware," she replied, taking the envelope from him. She studied the writing on the front and looked up an unblinking Roger. "'Berkney Project,'" she said, her voice void of any emotion. "Is this going to be taken away from me, too?" She held onto it tighter.

"Too?" I asked. I glanced in between them, cautious. I was curious about what was in the manila folder and then what the words 'Berkney Project' meant to not only my mother but to Roger as well.

"Long ago, I had found a book labeled 'Berkney Project' in my grandfather's office," Mom replied, looking at me. "I was reading some of it, but my grandfather had taken it from me as soon as he saw me with it." She shrugged. "I just got through the table of contents when he did take it from me."

"This will not be taken away from you," he said. "It is information that should keep your curiosity at bay until I get back from my trip." He gave my mother a knowing look, and she let out a breathless chuckle as if that thought was impossible.

"It won't, Roger; we both know that." Hesitantly, she opened the file and took out the contents. A pocket watch fell onto the floor, and she leaned down to get it, a picture of something catching my eye.

"Mom," I said, stopping her from grabbing the watch and turning her gaze to me. Slowly, I pulled the picture from the pile and studied it.

It was taken long ago in the area that we were seated in. Three people looked familiar to me, and I could tell that it was my grandmother, grandfather, and Roger. I had only heard stories of four of the others, but I knew who they were, especially the grandfather, rough and intimidating, seated next to a female who looked to be his mate.

All eyes were gathered on a female dressed in all black, her auburn hair contrasting from her clothing. She looked young but very familiar, her gaze calculating, the same calculating gaze that normally was on me.

"Lemme see," Mom said. Her voice didn't shake. There was no emotion in her voice, and I knew that there wouldn't be any on her face. She would have the same gaze as in this picture, processing all information before contributing something verbal or nonverbal.