Chapter 26- Kaite

My whole body grew tense, and my heart skipped a beat. My mouth went dry, and I stared at her. I knew that she was telling the truth; I could see it in her eyes while she studied me and waited for me to say something, anything.

Aunt Jess cocked her head and studied me, with eyes having this intelligence look in them that I hoped one day to possess. "It's not something to be afraid of," she said. She shifted again and looked at the chains that held her wrists while she pursed her lips. "You have the decision to be the weapon that they want or use it against them." She looked back at me and shrugged. "Besides, you don't have the genes activated, so they can't make you do anything."

"Yet," a voice that sent a chill down my spine said. Maliciousness and evil filled it, and I could detect a small bit of insanity in it. "They aren't activated yet, and we will have you two working for us soon."

Aunt Jess rolled her eyes and scowled. She looked toward the person that stood on the other side of the gate, but I didn't; I couldn't. Her whole body was relaxed, and I wondered how she could control her emotions in the face of danger. She cocked her head and studied the person before a smirk appeared on her face. "I don't think so," she said, and for some reason, I believed her. "I don't think you'll get us working for you."

He sneered. "And how can you be so sure?" he asked. "Do you even know what goes on around here?"

She shrugged. "Evil plans, killings, and turning wolves against other wolves," she replied. She cocked her head and studied my father with interest. "Do you actually set wolves against other wolves?" she asked. "Or is that a rumor that I heard from a rumor mill going around?"

My father sneered further, and I was surprised that it didn't faze Aunt Jess at all because it fazed me, and I wasn't the one that was being sneered at. "Wouldn't you like to know," he said. He narrowed his eyes and scowled while he studied the female that took me in. "Where have you heard this information?"

She gave him a pointed look. "Are you seriously asking me that?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. "I mean, come on, we both should know that I can get information from anything and hack anywhere."

He narrowed his eyes further, and a look of what looked like fear flickered through his eyes while he studied the chained female some more. "You're bluffing. You have no proof."

She raised her eyebrow higher. "I am?" she asked. "Are you sure? What about this proof? Are you sure that I don't have any? I mean, have you checked?"

I couldn't breathe and stared at her with eyes. Fear filled my body, and I had no idea what she was doing and why she was slowly agitating the male that wasn't chained, and I couldn't help but worry about her life and the unborn baby's life as well.

My father walked over to her and backhanded her across the face. His fear turned into anger, and I let out a startled gasp as her head jerked to the side. "Shut your face," he snarled. He raised his leg, and I had a feeling that he was going to kick her in the side.

I closed my eyes and didn't make a sound while I waited for the kick to happen. My heart pounded in my chest, and my stomach dropped a thousand feet until it felt like I didn't have one. My whole body was tense, and I had no idea what to do, what to say to get him away from her.

"Ah, ah, ah, ah," Aunt Jess said, and there was no change in her voice. She didn't sound like she was in pain or if she was afraid. She still talked to him as if they were talking about the weather, even though I could pick up the disgust in her voice. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. You don't want to damage the baby, do you?"

I could hear the taunting in her voice, and I could tell that my father did as well because he let out an inhuman growl. I bit my lip hard until I tasted blood. Fear filled my body, and I knew that everyone knew I was afraid but not for my life, but hers.

"If you don't care about the baby, then go ahead, kick me," she said, and her voice turned slightly darker, and I had no idea if I was more afraid of her or the male that had hit me so many times before. "I dare you to."

My father gritted his teeth together and again growled. "Your spirit will be broken," he said. He took a threatening step toward her, but she seemed unaffected by his threat. "You will submit. Do you understand?"

"Oh, I understand," Aunt Jess said. "However, I do not think my spirit will be broken, nor will I submit to the likes of you," she replied. "I suggest you try your hardest to break my spirit because when I get free from here, then your ass is mine. I don't give a damn if I am pregnant or not. I will be the one to kill you."

I opened my eyes and looked at them to see that they were glaring at each other, fighting for dominance. My heart pounded hard in my chest, and the sound of blood rushed through my ears. Hope filled my body, and I had a feeling that it was because she had threatened to kill him, the female that had taken me in and helped me more than she ever knew.

My father raised an eyebrow and sneered. "Is that a threat?" he taunted, and Aunt Jess shook her head.

She looked dangerous with her bloody nose and busted lip. There was a fire in her eyes that I had never seen before, and it scared me because I knew, at that moment, that she was a force to be reckoned with. She was dangerous to those that hurt her pack, and I had a feeling that I was a part of that pack, that family.

"It's a promise."