Chapter 23- Katie

The next morning, I went into the kitchen and saw Aunt Jess baking some cookies. My mouth went dry, and my heart pounded in my chest because I was afraid of what her answer would be. I wanted to clear my throat and get her attention, but I didn't. I just watched while she hummed a song that was stuck in her head and baked some cookies.

She stopped humming and placed some of the cookie dough onto a pan that would be placed into the oven. "You know," she said softly, not looking at me but focusing on what she was doing. "It isn't nice to stare, Katie," she said and looked up at me with a soft smile. "Come, sit." She gestured to the table where some cookies were already made and ready to be eaten.

I looked down in apology and made my way to the table. I had no idea how she had caught me staring, but I didn't ask her, even though I knew that she would answer honestly. I knew that she would answer anything that I would ask her, but I didn't know how to ask it. I didn't know how to ask what I wanted to, so I kept silent.

She didn't say a word and placed the cookies into the oven before she looked at me, wiping her hands on her apron and getting rid of any loose cookie dough that didn't stick onto the pan or in the batter. "Well?" she asked, raising an eyebrow. She leaned against the table and cocked her head, studying me with knowing eyes. "What is it?"

I looked at my hands and noticed that they were shaking. Quickly, I pushed them underneath my legs to keep her from seeing them. I didn't know why they were shaking, but they were, and I had a feeling it was because I didn't know what her answers would be and didn't know if she would answer them.

"You know," she mused, catching me stuff my hands underneath my legs. "I can't help you if I can't see your hands. You don't talk out loud, and I am not telepathic, so I can't see your thoughts." She gave me an amused smile. "Though it would be kind of cool to know what you are thinking." She winked.

I smiled and looked down before I licked my lips and cleared my throat. I had this urge to say something out loud, to hear my voice, but I didn't. I didn't say a word or move my hands from underneath my legs.

Aunt Jess didn't push me to say anything. She merely nodded her head before she went back to what she had been doing.

I watched her cook, entranced, and jealous of how sure she was of herself. I had no idea how she pulled off cooking with grace, but she did.

She used no recipe that I could see; no book was perched up or box with the directions facing her. She just did it all from memory, and my mouth watered at the thought of her cookies and wondered if she would allow me to have one.

Again, Aunt Jess stopped cooking and looked at me with knowledgeable eyes. She had a soft smile on her face, and I couldn't help but smile back at her, feeling relaxed in her presence. "If you wait a couple more minutes, they will be done cooling and ready to be consumed. Ok?"

I nodded my head and felt grateful that she answered my unasked question. I was happy that she seemed to know what I was thinking, even though I had no idea how she knew it.

Aunt Jess chuckled and went back to work. She started to hum again, the soft melody being something that I couldn't pick up on, but I understood the sadness and the hope that seemed to come out of it.

Silently, I watched her, entranced and relaxed. I didn't focus on anything except for her, and I had a feeling that she knew she was helping me relax while she continued to hum the song of hope and sadness.

I bit my lip and looked down, wondering if she knew anything about Werewolves. I was sure that Werewolves were here and didn't know if I was safe or not with one here. I didn't even know if all of them were Werewolves, and if they were, would they hurt me?

Would they hurt me because I was not a Werewolf and didn't know why I was here in the first place, except because Aunt Jess had asked me to come?

"Do you want to go out after I finish this batch of cookies?" Aunt Jess asked, breaking me from my thoughts. She looked at me and cocked her head, studying me as if I was an open book for her to read. "Would that make you feel more comfortable to ask me whatever you wanted to ask?"

I hesitated but nodded my head. I would feel comfortable leaving here, but I had no idea who would go with us. I knew that both Daniel and David didn't like her leaving on her own, and I had no idea if I would be able to help her if she got into trouble.

"It'll just be you and me," Aunt Jess said, answering my question. "I don't feel as bad as I did yesterday, and I know that I will be able to take care of myself until help arrives."

I bit my lip and looked down, taking my hands from underneath my legs. 'What if Daniel and David get mad?' I asked, cocking my head. I didn't want them mad, and I especially didn't want them mad at me.

Aunt Jess snorted, and I had a feeling that she rolled her eyes. She didn't answer off the bat and continued baking the cookies. "They can get mad all they want," she said. "They will not get mad at you if that is what you are worried about."

I hesitated for a while longer before I nodded my head. If she said that they wouldn't be mad at me, I knew that they wouldn't be mad. I also knew that she would be able to protect herself if they did get mad at her. 'Ok,' I said, finally. 'I trust you. I want to ask you what I am nervous about when we are out of the house and somewhere safe.'

Aunt Jess didn't reply. All she did was nod her head and continued with her work. A small smile was on her face, and I had a feeling that she was happy.

She was happy that I trusted her, and I was happy that I trusted her as well.