Chapter 18- Daniel

I grabbed her hand as we walked back to the packhouse. I could tell that she was halfway not paying attention to me, her mind lost somewhere else. "...and I am the oldest of thirteen kids," I said, and Katie nodded in agreement.

Katie furrowed her brows and looked at me, confused. She took her hand out of mine and cocked her head. 'Wait; what? I thought you are an only child.'

"I am," I said. I stopped and moved in front of her. I frowned and furrowed my brows, worried for her. "Katie, what's wrong?" I asked. "You've been rather quiet."

'I am mute, of course, I am quiet,' she replied.

"But, very sassy," I said with a huff and rolled my eyes. I smiled at her when she smiled and ducked her head down, a small blush creeping on her cheeks. "Hey," I said softly. I gently lifted her chin until she looked at me before letting go. "What's wrong?"

Katie bit her lip and looked down. She looked nervous, like she didn't want to tell me how she really felt. She didn't know how to.

I tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "You don't have to tell me now," I said softly, and she looked up at me. I offered her a small smile and nodded. "If you do feel comfortable, I do think that you should talk to Mom."

Katie furrowed her brows and cocked her head. 'But, I don't to be a burden,' she said.

"Hey, you are never a burden to my mom or me. We are here to help just like Sarah or anyone in the community. We are a family and protect our own." I paused and smiled. "You and Sarah are part of our family too."

Katie chewed on her lip and nodded. 'I will talk to Aunt Jess and then you about it when I am ready."

I wrinkled my nose and pursed my lips teasingly. "What?" I asked, mocked hurt. "Do you not love me anymore."

Katie looked at me, shocked. She jumped into my arms, and I laughed while she kissed my face before she kissed my lips.

I kissed her back, chuckling. "I love you," I whispered. I was about to kiss her again when someone cleared their throat.

I turned in that direction and placed Katie behind me. I didn't growl, knowing full well that I didn't have an explanation for it. Instead, I glared at the person who interrupted us, which turned out to be Roger, a friend of Moms.

Roger looked at Katie, and then I, looking rather unimpressed. He stood tall with his hands behind his back, a lot like a soldier and a Hunter. "Well, he said, finally. "I would like to apologize for interrupting your....makeout session, but I had gotten a call from Jessica. She wanted to meet me, and I had just gotten done with some... business and am here to see her. Do you know where I can find her?"

***

I scowled. "Why now?" I asked. "Why not in the morning?"

Roger shrugged his shoulder. "I have stuff to do, Mr. Berkley. Like you, I am a busy man, and I have waited as long as I could in hopes of diffusing some of her wrath."

"That will not happen," I said, relaxing slightly. I let Katie move a little until she was at my side and not behind her. I kept my arms around her, feeling her shake some. "Roger, this is my girlfriend, Katie. Katie, this is Roger. He is a friend of Moms."

"And, I was a friend of her grandfather's as well." He held out his hand and kissed the back of Katie's when she placed her hand in his. "It is a pleasure to meet you," he said, letting her hand go. "Contact me if he isn't treating you right." He handed her one of his business cards, smirking when I scowled. "Then again, with a mother like his..."

"She will beat you if I do hurt her, which I am not planning on," I said. "I do think that you should til the morning to talk with her. She wasn't feeling well."

Roger pursed his lips, and I could tell that he was worried about her. "I see..." he said. "Do you mind asking her or your father if she can meet me? If not, I will gladly take a room and wait for in the morning."

I bit back a huff, not fond of him staying here. Don't get me wrong, Roger was a great guy and a good guest, but he placed me in a position that I did not want to be in, considering that I didn't want to contact her via mind link.

Katie tugged at my dress shirt,  and I looked at her. 'Why not have him wait in the family room while we go up?' she asked. 'I am kind of ready for bed...'

"That sounds like a good idea, thank you, Miss Katie," he said, smiling at her. He looked at her with a look that I had never seen before on him. He looked at her fondly, like a parent looking at his child.

Katie turned bright red and looked down, hiding a bit behind me. She clutched my arm, and I could tell that she hadn't had expected him to be able to understand sign language.

"My daughter was mute," he said, signing as well. "I had learned to do this for her."

"I didn't know you had a daughter," I said, and Roger looked at me with the same blank expression on his face.

"I did a long time ago," he replied. "She was murdered as well as my wife by men that didn't take too kindly to men like me." He set his jaw, not saying who had killed them. He didn't need to because I already knew.

Rogues killed his family, and he had gotten his revenge by killing them.