Chapter 16- Daniel

'South border is clear, Alpha,' one of my packmates said. 'No one has come in nor went out.'

'I second that,' another person said.

'Good, thank you for checking,' I said through the link. I moved a hand through my hair as I waited for my mate and mother to come down.

'It is our duty to protect the borders, Alpha,' the first packmate said. 'You don't have to thank us.'

I bit back a snort and fiddled with my tie. I was still having trouble with it, and I hated that I had no idea how to tie a tie correctly.

"Problems?" a female asked from my left. Sarah walked over to me and was followed by the Warriors that I had set to look after her.

"Yes," I grunted. I took the tie off and tossed it onto the back of a chair. "Damn thing doesn't want to work."

Sarah walked over to the tie and picked it up. "May I?" she asked, and I nodded.

"Please."

Sarah placed it around my neck and started to tie it correctly. "How is it that the son of the great Jessica Berkley doesn't know how to tie a tie? I thought that would be the first thing that she teaches you."

"It is," my mother said, coming down the steps followed by my mate. "However, it goes in one ear and out the other."

Sarah nodded her head and finished. She backed away from me, feeling Katie's glare. "If you will excuse me, I am going to go find Parker. He owes me something." 'Alpha,' she linked as she and the other two females walked away.

I fixed the collar and looked at my mate to see her glaring at me. "You look beautiful," I said, smiling at her.

Katie didn't say a word. She folded her arms across her chest and looked at my mother.

'Take her into your arms and say 'yours,'' my mother advised. 'A part of her will understand.'

'Why is she mad, though? That was her best friend.' I asked. I walked over to Katie and held out my hand. I squeezed her hand when she gave it to me and pulled her close to me. I kissed the top of her forehead, and she became relaxed. "Yours," I whispered, and she relaxed fully.

Katie looked up at me and smiled. She looked happy in my arms, and I was happy that she was happy.

'She is like many unmated female Wolves who have found their mate,' Mom said. 'However, she doesn't understand her feelings nor the protectiveness that she feels for you.'

'Why not?' I asked. "You do look beautiful," I said, kissing her forehead again. "Are you ready?"

'She wasn't raised as a Wolf, so she doesn't understand about mates or anything like that. All she saw was another unmarked person going after her boyfriend.'

Katie nodded her head. A blush took over her face, causing her to look down. She got out of my arms, and I missed her warmth. 'I am sorry that I got jealous,' she said, biting her lip. 'I didn't like Sarah standing that close to you.'

I chuckled and took her hands. "It's fine," I said. "I get jealous when other men are close to you," I admitted.

Katie looked up and cocked her head. Her eyes studied mine as if she was wondering what I was saying was true. She took her hands out of mine. 'Really?' she asked, and I nodded. 'Why? I am nothin-'

I clutched her hands, knowing full well she was about to say. "If that is what your father had said, then he is lying," I said, studying her. You have no idea how much you are keeping my Wolf and me sane, I thought. I stared at her with her staring at me with the same intensity. I felt happy that she trusted me enough to stare into my eyes, unlike a while ago.

"I am sorry for breaking this up, but the food is getting cold," Mom said, interrupting us. She was leaning against the railing, her eyes half closed. Pain was etched on her face, and I couldn't help but be worried.

"Mom?" I asked, taking my hands off of Katie. "Are you ok?"

Mom waved her hand dismissively. "Oh, ya, I am fine. This baby just has a soccer match with my ribs. Goddess, that hurts."

'Did you link Dad?' I asked, and she subtly nodded. "Are you sure that you are fine?"

"Yes, I am fine; you two can go and enjoy your date." 'Your dad is on his way. He has linked Jesse, and he will come in when you two go out.'

I subtly nodded head. "If you are sure..." I said. I held my hand out to Katie. "Ready?" I asked.

Katie looked at my mother, hesitantly. She chewed her lip but nodded her head. 'Yes,' she said. She placed her hand on my arm.

I led Katie to the front door and opened it for her. I closed the door behind us, catching a small glimpse of Jesse rushing to Mom. 'Link me if anything happens,' I said to Jesse. 'I don't care whatever she has to say.'

'Yes, Alpha.'