Chapter 8- Katie

"Get your shoes on, girls. We are going to the park and shopping," Aunt Jess said, rolling into the room followed by her husband. There was a small scowl on her face, which caused me to frown because I did not like her upset. "Don't worry, Kiddo," she soothed. She smiled, and that caused me to relax because it reached her eyes. "My husband and I just got into a little fight."

Her husband, David, snorted and folded his arms across his chest. "Little?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at him. "I love you, Jess, and all, but you threw a shoe at my head."

"Be glad that I didn't hit you with a book," she replied.

"What are we shopping for?" Sarah asked from where she was reading something. She glanced at me before putting down her book and sliding her feet into her shoes.

I did the same thing and watched the way both Aunt Jess and David acted. I could tell that they loved each other because they seemed to mimic each other's movements, interacting with each other. They looked so intuned with the other, and I wished that I would one day find something like that.

"Clothes for you two," Aunt Jess replied, breaking my thoughts. She nodded to David, scowling, but I could see a small smile escape on her lips. Pure love filled David's eyes, and I could tell that Aunt Jess's eyes were the same. "This butthead thinks that the baby doesn't have that much clothes or stuff."

"But, Jess, the baby needs more clothes," David said.

"She is going to grow out of her clothes quickly, David," she replied. "It would be best to wait until she has finished growing. Besides, some of the community members have been giving us items that they don't need anymore as well as helping other expecting mothers."

"Can I come?" David asked. He pouted, and it was really weird to see this strong man pout at a female in a wheelchair. "Please?"

She shook her head. "No, you are going to be bonding with your son," Aunt Jess said. "He needs you now more than ever."

"He does not," David replied. "He-"

"He is feeling as if he is being replaced," Jess interrupted. She moved a hand across her stomach and looked down, smiling sadly. "He is saying that he isn't feeling that way, but there is that piece of doubt that is telling him that he is being replaced," she said, softly. "I felt the same way when Jonah was born and then when Nikolai was born when Jonah was two." She cleared her throat and shrugged her shoulder. "It would be best if you did hang out with him."

"But what abou-"

"I have all of that covered." She waved her hand, dismissively. "Jesse, Jamie, Macey, Joe, Luke, and Rachel are coming with us. Luke wanted to show me something that he can do at the park. We'll have a picnic lunch there." She held up her hand, silencing him. "And no, you can not come." With she gestured for both of us to follow her as she started to leave.

Sarah and I looked at each other. She just shrugged before following the female out of the living room.

I followed but paused and gave David a small smile on my way out.  

***

Shopping was sort of unnerving for me. I did not like having to try on different clothes, having to see my scarred body in the mirror. It didn't help that everything looked very big on me. Even Adult Smalls was big on me, and I did not want to buy anything.

However, Aunt Jess had told me that they will fit once I start to fill out some and get some weight back onto my body. She was patient with me, and I liked that about her. She always seemed to have a smile on her face, even when she was down.

"Come on, Katie," someone said. "Let's go for a walk."

I shook my head and looked up at see Aunt Jess smiling at me. I blushed and looked down, not knowing how long she had been trying to talk to me. I could tell that she wasn't mad, but that didn't help me feel any less guilty. 'Sorry,' I signed.

Aunt Jess chuckled, and I knew that she waved dismissively. "It's fine," she said. "Do you want to go see the pond? There are some ducks in there."

I pursed my lips and looked to see Sarah watching us. I did trust Aunt Jess with my life, but I liked and trusted Sarah better. She had been there through a lot and helped me when I needed it the most. Besides, I had been with her longer.

"Don't look at me. I am enjoying watching Luke on the playground," she said. "If you want to go, go ahead. I am too lazy to get up and am going to take a nap."

"You are too full," Aunt Jess said. She sent her a smile before looking at me. "So, is that a yes or a no?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

I glanced at Sarah one last time before looking at Aunt Jess. I nodded, and she nodded and stood. I stood and bit my lip. I was curious as to what she was wanting to talk to me about because I didn't think she knew about me liking Daniel. And if she did... would she stop me from liking him?

"Come along then. We won't go far, Jesse," she called out. She started to walk that way, and I couldn't help but follow her.

'What did you want to talk about?' I asked when she stopped at a bench to sit down. I sat down next to her and looked at the pond. The same question was going on in my mind, and I didn't like it one bit. I was trying my hardest not to panic, but it wasn't working.

She turned her body so that she was facing me and studied me. "You like my son," she said, bluntly.

I looked down and blushed. I did like him, and I felt this... connection for him. However, what if he didn't like me?

"He likes you too," she soothed. She took hold of my hand and rubbed it, causing me to relax. "What I need to say is that I need you to... be patient with him. There are some things..." She sighed and closed her eyes before shaking her head. "There are some things that are different about him, and he doesn't want to freak you out."

I pursed my lips and pulled on her shirt, and she looked at me. 'Why is he afraid?' I asked. 'What is different?'

She smiled, sadly. "I wish I could tell you but I-"

"Excuse me," someone said, interrupting her. A girl around six-years-old was looking at both of us. She pushed her glasses up her nose, her glasses hiding gray eyes. "Can I hide behind you?" she asked, cocking her head and pouting. "My daddy says that we have to go home, but I don't want to go home."

Aunt Jess tensed and turned her body so that she was looking at the little girl. Her eyes flicked this way and that, and I could tell that she was looking for something on her body, like maybe bruises or something like that. "Why do-"

"Jessica Grace," a man said, coming over to us. He looked tough, and I did not like him one bit. There was a scowl on his face, and he looked really mad about something. "What did I tell you about running off?" he asked.

Aunt Jess took a deep breath,  and the male looked at us. Her whole body was tense, and I did not know why until I looked at the male before us. However, I couldn't see much because she was all ready pulling me up and pushing me behind her.

From what I had gathered before she had done that, he had the same gray eyes as Aunt Jess did. There were other things that looked the same between them, but I couldn't really see because she was blocking my view.

Her grip on me tightened a bit, and she gently pushed me back. "N-N-Nico?" she asked, her voice shaking. Her other hand was on her stomach as if she was trying to figure out a way to protect both of us.

The male smiled. "Hi."  

_________________________________________________________

A/N: Nico was the man in the first extra. Just so ya'll know. And yes, that just happened.