Chapter 15- Katie

I sat in the chair and watched as Aunt Jess did my hair. I was really nervous that this wouldn't end well and hoped that it would.

"Stop fidgeting," Aunt Jess softly scolded. "What is on your mind?"

'Nothing,' I lied, and she narrowed her eyes at me. I licked my lips and looked down. I knew that I could trust her with whatever feelings and thoughts I had, but I was scared that she wouldn't understand. I had no idea what past she had, and I couldn't help but wonder if it was all sunshine and roses.

"Katie," she warned, looking at me in the mirror. She finished putting my hair into a braided crown and backed away. "What is it?" she asked softly. "You can talk to me about anything."

I looked down and bit my lip. 'I am scared,' I said, looking back up at her to see her raising her eyebrow.

"'Bout?" she asked.

'What... if my sperm donor attacks? What do we do then?' I asked. 'I don't want to be the cause of a war or anything. I want them to enjoy the evening.'

She had this thoughtful look in her eyes as she chewed her lip. "I... don't think that he will attack here," she said. "Let's say... that it'd be a suicide mission if he did. The men here are very skilled warriors, and I do not think that they will have a problem killing one man."

I snorted and rolled my eyes. I did not believe her one bit because I knew that he was dangerous. I had seen him kill things many times. I knew that he didn't have a heart when it came to who or what he attacked, and if they did, then I was sure that it wouldn't be a pretty side.

"What are you thinking?" Aunt Jess asked softly. She twisted the chair around until I was facing her before she sat down on the edge of the bed. She rubbed her legs, grimacing but didn't comment on the amount of pain she was in if she was in pain.

I shrugged my shoulder and looked down. 'He is dangerous,' I said. 'He doesn't have a heart and will kill anyone and everything. He will not care that you are pregnant and will cut the baby out of you alive before killing you.'

She pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes when I said that. "Well, that is just dandy," she said, her voice gaining a small accent. "I'd like to see him try to kill my baby and me."

I stared at her in horror. 'What do you mean?' I asked. 'What will you do if he does come? I want you to run and run as fast as you can. He is dangerous.'

She smirked, and for a minute, I was scared of her. "Honey," she said in a slow drawl. "I think that it will be fine. It ain't going to be the first rodeo that I had been in, and it ain't going to be the last. There is always gonna be a fight between good and evil. You just got to pick a side and hope for the best."

I looked down and licked my lips.

"Hey," Aunt Jess said, coming over to my side. She took hold of my hands and waited for me to look up at her. Her gray eyes held determination in them as if she knew how to survive the unsurvivable. "I will be ok," she said softly. "And so will you. If anything happens, then know that either Daniel or I will get you out of trouble."

I took my hands out of hers. 'Promise?' I asked, and she smiled and nodded.

"Promise," she said. "Now, why don't you help me stand back up again, and then we go see Daniel? I don't know how I knelt with a belly, but remind me not to do it again until after she is born. It is a hassle to stand back up!"

I bit back a smile and nodded. I was still nervous that he would attack, but they would be prepared for any attack from what Aunt Jess had said. I just hoped that it wouldn't be soon...