Chapter 7- Daniel

As the days went by, I was able to get Katie to trust me more and be open to me. I could tell that she was still scared of being alone with me, and I knew that she was feeling as if she was getting too attached to me, and I would walk away from her.

I had convinced my dad to let me finish my schooling at home, through online courses, with my mother's help. We both thought that it would be best for Katie and Sarah not to be in high school but have Mom teach them what they need, as well as other "life hacks."

Parker had wanted to stay at school, mainly because he was on the football team, so he threatened me to keep an eye on Sarah. This caused Mom to throw something at him and yell at him for not respecting his Alpha. (He and I agreed that hormones had caused her to be more annoyed than usual.)

Me, I wasn't on the football team, and I thought that the situation was kind of funny because I would have done the same thing if we had been in different places. I had tried to tell Mom that, but... she threw a wooden spoon at me. (I swear she keeps them on hand at all times.)

"You are in Lala land again, Daniel. Care to share what you are thinking?" Mom asked, looking up for her papers that she was grading. Amusement filled her eyes as she studied me.

I shook my head. "Nah, I am good," I replied. "It's nothing bad," I smirked when she just snorted and went back to whatever she was doing.

Katie pulled at my sleeve, and I looked at her. 'Can you help?' she asked, pointing to a question.

I glanced at my mother to see her helping Sarah out with a problem before looking at Katie. Her face was beet red, and I couldn't help but fall more in love with her. My heart ached because I knew that I wasn't able to act on it soon.

'So-' she started to sign before stopping when I placed my hands on hers. She widened her eyes in shock when she felt sparks but didn't pull away.

"It's fine," I said, smiling at her. "I was just making sure that you were comfortable with me doing it."

Katie took her hands out of mine and squished her face together. 'Well, if I didn't, then I wouldn't have asked,' she replied, sarcastically.

"I can hear the sarcasm from here," I said, sarcastically, and Katie beamed. I looked at what she was she was working on. "Mom, did you mean to make the problem hard?" I asked, looking up at her.

Mom looked up ad narrowed her eyes. "Are you telling me that you do not know how to do 'Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally?" she asked, knowing which question I was talking about. "And, if Katie had been paying attention to my lesson yesterday, then she should know it." She smirked at Katie, and she looked down and blushed.

"And what was Katie doing?" I asked, looking at her with a small smirk on my face. I knew what she was doing. I had felt her gaze on me while I was training. My whole body was aware of where she was and if she was gazing at me.

'Nothing,' Katie signed quickly. A blush took over her face, and her face became as red as her hair.

"Riiiiiiiggggggghhhhhhtttttt," Sarah said, sarcastically. "That is why you don't know how to do the problem." She gestured to herself. "Even I knew how to do the problem, and I do not pay attention to much of what Mrs. Jess says."

"I feel the love," Mom replied, sarcastically.

Katie didn't say a word but looked at her hands. Her face was still red, and I could tell that she was getting nervous. She didn't like being in the center of attention, and I hoped that Mom would help out with that.

"Don't worry," I said, reaching over and grabbing her hand. I smiled when she looked up at me with those big, green eyes of hers. "Mom had to deal with nuggets throughout high school that wouldn't pay attent-"