Chapter 19- Katie

Mr. Roger cleared his throat and stood taller. He placed a mask over his feelings, but both Daniel and I could tell that he was hurting a lot.

I tugged on Daniel's sleeve, and he looked at me. I furrowed my brows and cocked my head, silently asking him if I could hug him. I had a feeling that Mr. Roger needed one, but... I knew that it was best to ask Daniel.

He was very protective of me around certain men. I thought it was sweet and annoying, especially when it was with Jesse because he had been learning sign language to better help communicate with me.

"You may if you want to," he said softly, not even bothering to sign it. He knew that Mr. Roger would have been able to understand when he signed it, so he just said it soft.

I bit my lip and nodded my head. I was a little hesitant because I had no idea how Mr. Roger would react to me hugging him. However, I knew that it might make him feel a little better, even if it isn't a lot.

Mr. Roger watched as I moved closer to him and cocked his head. He stayed silent but looked at Daniel before looking back at me. Still, he stayed silent as he watched me cautiously walk over to him.

I placed my arms around him and hugged him, and he stiffened before he relaxed. I felt happy when he placed his arms around me, hugging me back like I thought he wouldn't.

"Thank you," he whispered, placing a kiss on the top of my head. "You might want to hug your boyfriend afterward. He's glaring at me."

I rolled my eyes but nodded my head. As soon as Mr. Roger let me go, I went over to my mate and gave him a bear hug. I had no idea why he was glaring at Mr. Roger when he said that I could, but I wasn't going to ask.

"I am sorry for glaring, Roger," Daniel said, keeping me in his arms. "I-"

"You don't have to explain," Mr. Roger said, interrupting Daniel from talking. He bit back a smirk when my boyfriend scowled. "I understand. Thank you for letting her hug me. I did need it."

Daniel nodded his head. "Come on, let's take you to Mom. If she isn't well, then we will set you up in a guest bed."

"That would be most appreciated. After I speak with your mother, I will be out of your hair."

"Good," Daniel said, and I pulled at his shirt. He looked down at me and cocked his head. "What?" he asked, his lips parting a bit as he frowned. "What is it?"

I moved out of his arms, and he pouted, so I rolled my eyes and scowled. 'Be nice,' I scolded, and he raised an eyebrow. 'You don't have to be rude.'

"But... I wasn't rude," he said, furrowing his brows. He cocked his head and studied me. "Roger is welcomed as long as he wants to stay. However, he is a very busy man, and he has some work that he needs to complete."

"He is right, Miss Katie," Mr. Roger said. "I do have to leave in the morning. I am going out of town tomorrow, but I should be back in a week or so."

"Then we should see if my mother would be willing to meet with you. Follow me." Daniel started to walk towards the house with me following him.

I placed my hand in his and leaned against him as we walked, keeping stride with his long legs.

Daniel looked down at me and smiled, and I smiled at him. His whole body was slightly relaxed, but I could tell that he was anxious about the meeting with Mr. Roger. "Am I allowed to be there?" he asked.

"Of course," he said. "Your father will be able to be there, as well. You, Miss Katie..." He was hesitant as if he knew something that I didn't, and I couldn't help but feel slightly jealous.

I took my hand out of Daniel's, and he looked down and frowned. I turned around to face Mr. Roger and offered him a small smile. I felt Daniel place his hand on my back and knew that he would lead me to make sure that I wouldn't get hurt. 'I am beat,' I said. 'I will be going to bed.'

That was the truth. I was tired. All the stress of this date caused me to feel exhausted, but I didn't want to feel any other way. I was grateful for what Aunt Jess and the others had done to make this night special for me, and I was happy that it had gone off without my father showing up.

Mr. Roger smiled and nodded his head. "Of course," he said. "I understand." He cleared his throat. "You might want to turn around; we are at the house."

I nodded my head and turned around. I walked up the steps with Daniel at my side and smiled when he opened the door. I was about to walk through the doors when he stopped me, and looked at him with a frown on my face.

Daniel was tapping his lips, his lips curved into a small smirk. "I will only let you through if only you give me a kiss."

I scowled and pointed at Mr. Roger, who was standing behind us. I didn't have to sign because I knew that Daniel knew what I meant.

Mr. Roger chuckled. "I would just kiss him, Miss Katie," he said. "I do not mind waiting."

I huffed and rolled my eyes, and he chuckled. 'Fine,' I said. I gave him a quick peck on the cheek before backing up. I bit back a smile when I saw Daniel look at me, shocked.

"Really?" Daniel asked, and I nodded in confirmation. He pouted and cocked his head. "But I would like a real kiss, please? One on the lips?"

I shook my head, and he bowed his head in defeat and nodded. I tried not to laugh, but I couldn't help it. I snorted, and he looked at me and smile.

"You snorted," he teased, moving out of my way and letting both Mr. Roger and I walk through the door. "It sounded beautiful."

I rolled my eyes, my face turning red. I smiled at him when he closed the door and gave him a hug and a kiss goodnight.

"Goodnight," he whispered against my lips before kissing them again. "I had fun this evening."

I nodded my head. I licked my lips and hesitated, wondering if he would still be fine with me sleeping in his room. I had been doing that for a while now and didn't want to change. I felt... comfortable with him and felt like nothing bad could happen to me if he was near my side.

"Go get dressed in my, or our room, if you want, and I will be there shortly," he said. "Tomorrow, if you want to move in your stuff, then you can."

'But... isn't this going too fast?' I asked hesitating. It felt like it was going too fast, the whole thing. It felt like my feelings for him had happened overnight, and I didn't know if he felt the same way.

Daniel smiled and shook his head. "Trust me; it isn't," he said. "But if you want to wait, then we can wait. We can talk about this in the morning, ok?"

I hesitated but nodded. I had a feeling that Daniel would be ok with me staying with him, though I did not know why. I prayed that he would one day tell me and tell me why I felt these sparks every time we kissed or touched.

It made me crave for him more and more, and it was getting stronger every day. And, it frightened me. It frightened me so much because I knew that he could get hurt if he were with me.

However, a part of me knew that he would take care of me if anything happened. I just hoped that no one dies because of me because I knew that my father would try to get me back. I just had no idea how.

"Katie?" Daniel asked, breaking me from my thoughts. He furrowed his brows and cocked his head. His lips were pressed in a firm line, and I fought the sudden urge to kiss them so that they would become a smile. "Are you ok?"

I offered him a tired smile and nodded my head. 'Yes,' I said, finally. 'I am just tired.'

Daniel hesitated and nodded. He didn't believe me, I could tell. His golden brown eyes had this look in them as if to say that he didn't, but he didn't say it out loud. "Ok," he said finally. He kissed my lips, and I smiled. "I love you," he whispered.

I kissed his lips and stepped out of his arms, losing this warm feeling that I felt. 'I love you, too,' I said. 'I will see you in the morning.' And with that, I walked away, not even saying goodnight to Mr. Roger.