Chapter 24- Daniel

'Hey, Daniel,' Mom said, breaking me from my train of thoughts about Katie and the way that she had acted last night as well as this morning because she had left while I was in the shower, which was different than our "normal" routine. Her voice was soothing and calm, and I instantly felt calmer than I had a couple of minutes ago because she had that power in her to soothe any person while they felt worried about something.

'Hey, Mom,' I said, moving a hand across my face and looking at my laptop screen to see that I hadn't received an email from Damion like he said he would.

I wonder what he had been up to to be away from the computer, I wondered, thinking that it might have to do with his mate, Bethany Ann. I prayed that something bad didn't happen and wondered if it had to deal with Bethany Ann's "father," who I wasn't a fan of because he was not a good Alpha.

'Daniel!' my mother exclaimed, breaking me from my musings of the Greenspeak Pack and its "young" Alpha. She sounded amused that I didn't say anything after she had said my name and maybe some nicknames that she had made up on the spot.

'Sorry,' I apologized, and my mother chuckled. I sighed and closed my laptop before leaning back in my seat and giving her my full attention. 'What is it?'

'I am taking Katie out of the pack for a little while,' she said, and I grew tense and worried. However, she didn't let me speak while she continued to tell me what was happening. 'She isn't comfortable asking me something, and I have a feeling that it has to do with the pack.'

I furrowed my brows, confused. 'What do you mean it has to do with the pack?' I asked. I leaned forward but didn't move from my seat. 'Wh-'

'I have a feeling that she knows about Werewolves,' she interrupted me. 'Don't ask me how I know this because I don't know how. I don't know how I know, but I do.'

I pursed my lips and mentally nodded my head. 'Where will you go?' I asked, hoping that she would at least tell me that part. I needed to make sure that they would stay safe. I needed to send Warriors to watch over them to make sure that nothing would happen to them and possibly use them to inform me as to where they were to listen in to the conversation.

Mom chuckled softly, and I had a feeling that she knew where I was getting at. 'Now, now,' she scolded teasingly, and I rolled my eyes. 'I am trying to get the poor girl to keep trusting me. I don't need you to ruin this, especially since this will have to deal with both of us.'

I stayed silent and bit back a sigh before I nodded. 'Ok,' I said, knowing full well that my mother would do this even without my permission. 'What i-'

'I have set a GPS tracking system to a necklace that I am wearing. If something goes wrong, I will switch it on, and you will be able to see where we are at. Other than that, I will try my hardest to protect Katie until you get there.'

I pursed my lips, not liking the idea. I knew that my mother was a hell of a fighter, having faced her a couple of times and her winning most of the battles between us, but that didn't stop the fact that not only was she pregnant, but she was still "human," no matter what her DNA said.

Mom chuckled. 'Relax,' she said. 'I already have a "basic plan" in place if something does go south, Daniel,' she said. 'And no, I am not going to tell you.'

I chuckled and rolled my eyes. 'Gee, thanks, Mom,' I said teasingly, and she chuckled. I grew serious. 'Be careful and contact us if anything happens. I want to make sure that you are both safe.'

'Yes, Alpha,' she replied instantly. 'Don't tell your father. He is already mad at me for not telling him that I was searching for information about my lineage.'

I bit my lip and moved a hand through my hair. The weight of the world blanketed my shoulders, and I leaned forward underneath its pressing weight. I could tell that she had planned something, something dangerous, and dealt with my mate.

The Alpha in me wanted to kill her for treason against her pack, but the son in me knew that she did something following what she had found out last night. Neither side was winning, but both sides seemed to know not to interfere with what she had planned, for she was still dangerous even if pregnant.

'Well?' my mother asked, and if she was in the room with me, then I knew that she would have cocked her head and stared at me with her calculating gray eyes, eyes that processed anything and everything before she acted in a way that would help instead of harm.

I bit back a sigh and mentally nodded my head. 'Ok,' I said. 'But I will tell him if anything goes south. Do you understand?'

She chuckled. 'Understood, Alpha,' she replied.

I cleared my throat and shifted in my seat. I could tell that she and Katie were near the border and knew that the link wouldn't work because they would farther than the link. 'I love you,' I said finally. 'Stay safe.'

There was a pause from her, and I grew slightly worried before she sighed a sigh that was sad and tired as if she knew something that I didn't, a plan that she had planned for some time. 'I love you, too,' she said. 'And I will do my best.'

And that, the link between us broke, leaving me feeling sad and worried. Whatever she found was harmful; that was something that I knew. However, I knew that my mother would fight tooth and nail to get my mate back to me and get back to her mate.

She would do anything in her power to protect the underdog and make sure that they were safe.

I just prayed that it would be enough...