Chapter 4

"Janet, come on."

"No." She kept walking to her locker.

"Why you playing?"

"I'm not playing, I'm serious." She opened her locker and rearranged it and grabbed her backpack. Her locker closed and when she turned around, Daniel was standing above her.

"Come on, just one little..."

"No, Daniel. I said no and I meant it. Move." She pushed him away and headed towards the door. Leaving out, she went to her usual spot and waited for her mother.

"Jan, come on. You know I like you so why are you acting like this?"

"Because I don't like you. I never have. So please leave me alone."

"You like someone else or something." She heard the car horn from her mother.

"It doesn't matter, leave me alone." She ran off to the car and got in.

"Hi, honey. How was school?" Her mom pulled off as Janet leaned against the door. "Uh uh. No ramble about the new science lesson or book from the library?"

"No, mom."

"What happened?"

"Nothing. Can we please go home?"

"That's where we're headed and I don't like my baby being sad like this. What happened?"

"Mom." Janet groaned. "I don't want to talk about it." She looked at Janet.

"Alright. Fine. What do you want for dinner?"

"I don't care." Janet snaked down into the seat more and just looked out the window. Her mom didn't respond but noticed slight things that were off about her daughter. Firstly, Janet prided herself on a clean appearance and her clothes were disheveled, her white sneakers had several scuff marks and on the small part of her neck there was a small black bruise forming. Along with that, she had slight tear stains on her cheeks.

"Jan,.."

"Mother, I said I don't want to talk about it." Her mom pulled the car onto their street but parked the car on the side of the road before reaching the house. She turned towards Janet.

"Well, I need you too. I don't like the state you're in. You never come from school crying and you're always excited about something. Today your sad and your clothes are messed up. What happened?" A few tears fell down Janet's cheeks and her mom felt some anger bubble up. "Who did it?" Janet started crying. Immediately, Katherine took off her seatbelt and pulled Janet into her. "Shhh. I got you."

"It was Daniel. I had to push him off me before he tried anything. He felt on me and kissed over me. I had to run away."

"Aww, my baby. Did he...uhhh." Janet shook her head.

"No, I got away from him then he followed me around the rest of the day."

"What did he do?"

"He tried to kiss me and when he did, I didn't like it. Before I can tell him to move away, he started kissing me other places and touching me on my thighs. He lifted my skirt and touched me. I hated it. I told him to stop, but he would. He was about to take my things off when I pushed him and ran away." Katherine tried her best to hold in her anger. "It wasn't supposed to be like that."

"I know."

"It was supposed to be beautiful."

"I know." Katherine lifted her head. "Listen, look at me. Don't let him take that from you. He doesn't own that moment, you do and you can give it to whoever you see fit to have it. He had a moment but not the moment." Janet nodded.