Chapter 38

Janet's entire body shook as she waited. "Toni?"

"Not yet." Janet's heart pounded.

"Oh my god."

"Baby, calm down." Toni sat next to her and held her hand. "Just breathe."

"I'm just so nervous."

"I know, but it'll be fine. I promise." A timer dinged.

"Oh my god." Janet stood up and started pacing back and forth. Toni got up and went to the bathroom. "What does it say?" Janet's hands shook. Toni looked and came back to her.

"You're not pregnant." Janet released a breath.

"Oh thank god. I'm never going through this again."

"That's why I said don't take the condom off."

"You're right." Janet rubbed her face. "I'm not doing it again."

"Good. We'll be protected the whole time."

"No."

"No?" Janet nodded. "But you said..."

"I'm done. We're not having sex again." Janet picked up her book bag and purse before leaving her bedroom.

"Whoa. What?" Toni followed her. "What do you mean?"

"You heard me. I'm done. I'm not doing it again. This was too much." They went downstairs.

"So one pregnancy scare and you're done with sex?"

"Yep. You were right. I need to focus on succeeding. I'm graduating highschool and going off to college soon. I can't risk anything. So no more sex. Period." Janet left the house, leaving Toni stuck. After a minute she heard snickering. Looking in the kitchen, she saw Bishop and First Lady snooping.

"It's not funny." Katherine came out.

"You've been cut off, huh?" They laughed.

"It's not funny."

"It's kind of funny." said Joseph. She smacked her lips as they laughed.

"Whatever."

"Hey, you wanted her to succeed." Toni groaned.

"Ughhhh...you're right." She spun around in frustration.

"Michelle! Let's go!" Janet yelled.

"I'm coming."

"No, you're not." said Katherine. She and Joseph died laughing. Toni rolled her eyes and stomped outside. She helped Janet into the car before getting in on her side. The ride was silent as Janet went through work on her tablet. She talked quietly to herself as she wrote things down in her planner.

"Toni, I need to go to the library afterschool to work on my essays for my college applications."

"Okay. I thought you had a little more time to work on it."

"I do, but these are very rigorous processes for the top schools. I can't leave anything up to chance." She sat her tablet on the dashboard and took out a notebook. She began an outline for one of her papers. "Okay, so...." She looked at her tablet again and then her planner. Toni was overwhelmed just watching this process.

"This is really serious, huh?"

"Oh, yeah. These are the top schools in the world and I..."

"Wait, the world?"

"Yeah. Yale, Harvard, John Hopkins, Cambridge, Oxford.."

"Wait, London?"

"Yes." They reached a red light and Toni rubbed her head. "What's wrong?"