A Bandit Dog

After the fiasco with the Black Crow, our heroes traveled for a while before setting up camp in a forest when it started to get dark.

Eva: alright, we are going to need some wood for fire and some food.

Amalia: I think I'll be able to grow some food for us!

Dally: I saw a stream nearby, so maybe there'll be fish!

Ruel sighed softly, as Yugo glanced at Y/N, who just volunteered to get sticks. Eva nodded and everyone went off to do their tasks. Y/N used their portals and portaled away to find some sticks for fire, with Midnight in their pocket. Y/N hums as they pick up sticks.

Y/N: one stick...two stick...three stick...four stick ... .that's a lot of sticks in a pile right there.

Y/N and Midnight looked at the strange pile of sticks on the ground. Y/N then looked down at Midnight.

Y/N; Think it's a trap?

Midnight nods and looks back at the sticks, hopping out of Y/N's pocket to examine the pile of sticks. Y/N walks next to Midnight and pokes the sticks, and then gasping in shock when a rope appears and ties them up in a net. Y/N then looked at Midnight.

Y/N: go get the others Midnight!

Midnight nods and runs off to the others for help. Y/N squirms around abit, but manages to get their dagger out of their back pocket and they start to cut the rope. Y/N hears a rustle in the bushes and looks over, seeing a bandit Ouginak, who is grinning. Y/N glares, her hat ears pinned back against their head.

Ouginak: Haha! You have fallen into my trap! Our battle will be legendary!

Y/N, sweatdropping:...did you seriously just build this to catch people to battle?

Ouginak, laughing: Yes I did! Impressive, right?

Y/N:...not the word I would use.

The Ouginak grins and cuts the net, freeing Y/N who is holding onto their dagger. The ouginak sees this and grins, getting out his own dagger.

Ouginak: If you are using a dagger, then I will use a dagger! My name is Shepard, what is your name?

Y/N, reluctantly:...Y/N...are you sure you want to fight?

Shepard: absolutely!

Y/N sighs and then just barely dodges as Shepard goes to attack with his dagger. Y/N clumsily grabs their dagger and goes to attack Shepard, who very easily dodges. Shepard then tilts his head.

Shepard: You have a dagger, yet you don't know how to use it?

Y/n: I was caught off guard!

Shepard: You should always be ready in battle!

Y/N gives him an unamused look and holds their dagger more readily, white Shepard just grins and goes to attack. Y/N quickly blocks his dagger with their own, and just barely manages to push them back. Shepard grins and starts to attack faster, wanting to test how well Y/N can use their dagger. Y/N did not expect this, but manages to block Shepard's attacks, slowly getting better at it. Y/N then decides to not use their portals for this battle as they do want to test how well they can fight without them. Shepard then rushes forward, going to try and knock out Y/N's dagger from their hands, but Y/N dodges barely and goes to strike Shepard with their dagger, managing to get a cut on his side. Shepard grins and his tail wags, and Y/N grins back, liking this challenge. Shepard and Y/N both rush forward, exchanging blows and dodges, with Y/N slowly getting better with using their dagger better. Soon, the bushes rustle and the rest of our heroes come out of the bushes, and Y/N and Shepard keep exchanging blows, not aware of the people watching them. Y/N hears a twig snap and gets briefly distracted, getting a cut on their arm that causes them to hiss in pain and flinch back. Y/N then feels themself getting pulled through a portal and into Yugo, who hugs them close. Eva points their bow at Shepard.

Eva: What are you doing?

Dally: It looks like they were fighting!

Shepard, tilting their head and then nod: it was a fight. We were fighting and now they have better use of their dagger!

Y/N, nodding: it's true. He built the net to catch someone, so he can fight them.

Eva sighs and puts her bow away as Shepard looks at them curiously, before grinning.

Shepard: I can fight you all! It would be a great challenge!

Dally: You want to fight us? I'm down!

Eva: Iop brain! We don't know if we can trust him!

Y/N: we can trust Shepard! He just wants a good challenge!

Eva hesitates, but Dally does not, going to fight Shepard, much to his amusement. Shepard keeps his dagger out and parries Dally's blows as the rest watch, with Y/N hanging on to every move to see if they can see anything they can use in the future.

~~mini timeskip~~

Sheaprd won the fight and invited all of them to stay at his camp, which they agreed with because Dally and Y/N spoke their agreements before the rest could argue, so they are now at the camp with almost everyone asleep. Y/N, Dally, and Shepard did get their cuts treated before they could get infected and it seems like the three are going to be great friends in the future. Y/N peeks their eye open and notices everyone sleeping, with Yugo being stubborn and sleeping next to them. Y/N carefully got up and portaled a few feet away from the camp and sat on a tree branch, leaning on the tree itself as they looked at the starry sky. Y/N hummed softly and a few minutes later, heard a portal open up behind her. They turned around and saw Yugo stepping out of the portal and sits next to them. Y/N smiles at him and looks back at the night sky. Yugo sighs and looks at the night sky.

Yugo: Why did you fight him alone? You could have gotten hurt!

Y/N: I can handle myself Yugo...and it just showed me how much more I need to train with my dagger....as well as my powers.

Yugo: He could have hurt you more!

Y/N: But he didn't. He was purposefully going slow to see how I fight and how well I could fight with my dagger. He was watching me, and then acting accordingly....if he wanted to hurt me, he would have done so.

Yugo frowns and Y/N smiles softly, resting their head on his shoulder and causing him to blush. Yugo smiled softly down at them and hugged them, causing them to hug back. The two stay like that for a while, before Y/N yawns and looks up at him.

Y/N:...hey yugo?

Yugo: hm?

Y/N:....do you think I have a real family out there as well? Like how you have a family on Oma?

Yugo:....probably! I bet they'll be super nice, like you!

Y/N, smiling softly: Thanks Yugo....

Yugo nods and it goes into a comfortable silence for a while, before Yugo looks at Y/N again, who appears close to falling asleep.

Yugo: hey Y/N?

Y/N, sleepy: hm?

Yugo:...why were you crying in Kabrok's shop? Y-you don't have to answer i-if you don't want to....I-i'm just worried about you.

Y/N: o-oh, that...i was thinking about some things....I-I wasn't even aware I was crying...E-everything felt distant and far away....L-like i was alone....

Yugo frowns, his hat ears lowering as he pulls you into a hug. Y/N sighs softly and curls into a ball, but leans into Yugo anyways for comfort.

Yugo:...You're not alone Y/N! I promise! You have Dally, Eva, Amalia, Ruel, Midnight, Az, Mrs.Jade, Ms.Jude, Mr.Ja-ren, the twins....and you have me! You aren't alone! I promise once we get to Oma Island, we will help you find your real family!

Y/N: but what if I don't have one?

Yugo: It doesn't matter! You have the people that raised you, so they are your family!

Y/N tears up, having not thought of that as their eyes widen. Yugo panics slightly at seeing you cry, so he pulls you into a hug as y/n cries silently, eventually falling asleep. Yugo smiles softly and hugs Y/N closer, nuzzling them.

Yugo:....I promise Y/N, you won't have to fear being alone again....I'll make sure you aren't alone. You'll have me to protect you....

Word Count: 1465