Chapter 2

So far, Evalyn had received no word from her husband. Not even a sign that he was okay. A part of her was hurt, thinking that he would see her as soon as possible. But a part of her also understood that she would obviously be the first person he would go to. Ever since his escape, people have stopped her on the street on several occasions asking if she knew where he was or if she was safe. One old woman said it was lucky that she had Remus to protect her from the scary man. That one made her irritated beyond belief. There wasn't a single part of her that was convinced Sirius would hurt her.

Dumbledore sent word to both her and Remus, he asked the werewolf to teach DADA and for Evalyn to assist when he had his 'monthly issues.' She believed that he only invited her to join so he could keep an eye on her. The pair made their way onto the Hogwarts Express before any students arrived. Immediately, they went to the familiar compartment that they always sat in, whether out of habit or just bittersweet nostalgia. He tapped her knee after putting away their stuff. "Harry will be here."

Evalyn pursed her lips and nodded, "It should be his third year." She tried for years to have Harry put in her care. Each time, Dumbledore refused. "Are you nervous about seeing him?"

"Not as much as you seem to be," he gestured to her fidgeting fingers and bouncing leg. It was a bittersweet feeling, getting to see him even though he wouldn't remember who they were. "I'm going to get some rest, you should too, it will be a long day." He leaned his head against the wall and closed his eyes. A weight landed on his arm and he briefly peaked to see Evalyn leaning her head on him. She shuffled to get comfortable, and soon the two fell asleep.

A little while later, 3 students took their seats in the compartment. A bushy haired girl, a ginger boy with freckles, and a messy haired boy with stunning green eyes covered by round glasses. The red head gestured to Remus, "Who do you think that bloke is?"

"Professor R.J. Lupin" the young witch said without sparing a glance.

"Blimey Mione, how do you know that?" Without looking up, she pointed to Remus' briefcase.

Evalyn shifted slightly, her signature two plaits hanging down in front of her torso. The trio became quiet as the air grew chilly. Ice frosted the windows and it was so cold they could see their own breaths. At this point, Evalyn fully woke up, rubbing her eyes slightly. She let out a yawn and a stretch and opened her eyes to meet three wide eye stares. Her heart clenched when she looked to the third child, he looked just like his father.

Ron panicked and pointed his wand at her. "Bloody hell! You're Evalyn Black! I've seen your picture in the Daily Prophet!" Both Hermione and Harry reached for their wands, ready to defend themselves against her. "If you are here for Harry, you'll have to get through me."

Evalyn's jaw dropped open and she held her hands up while shaking her head. Before she could say anything, the lights flickered and a dementor popped up. Harry fainted while being drained, Evalyn popped out of her seat alongside Remus and both shouted Expecto Patronum, making the creature seemingly vanish. Remus woke Harry, passing him some chocolate. Emotions flooded the werewolf. When he left to go check on everyone else, Evalyn stayed behind to talk to the weary kids.

"I swear on my magic, I mean no harm to Harry." She refused to tell him that she was his godmother yet, the news just might break him, and the last thing she wanted was to scare him off.

Once they finally arrived, Evalyn was up at the Professor's table at the front of the Great Hall. Remus chatted away with Minerva while Evalyn hesitantly made her way next to Snape. Students whispered amongst themselves about the two new figures, especially since one was smiling broadly at a gloomy Potions Professor.

"How are you Severus?" The man raised an eyebrow and hummed at the witch. She gestured to the empty seat next to him "May I sit here?"

Before he could answer, she sat down in the seat figuring he would turn her away. Truthfully, a part of him appreciated Evalyn for not assuming he was the one behind the Potter's tragedy. However, he also loathed her for the company she kept. And he certainly questioned her ties to Sirius now that he has escaped.

The concerns were not spoken though, since she didn't question him 12 years ago. Dumbledore cleared his throat, and stood up. "I am pleased to introduce our new Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor," he gestured towards Remus who stood up with a kind smile "Professor Remus Lupin."

Harry, Hermione, and Ron all stood up and cheered for the man, leading others to cheer. Evalyn smiled broadly down the table at Remus and wiggled her eyebrows teasingly. He rolled his eyes and chuckled under his breath. Not expecting to be introduced, Evalyn filled her goblet with water and started to take a drink. At the same time Dumbledore spoke up again, "and his assistant Miss Evalyn."

The witch nearly choked on her water, causing Snape to roll his eyes and give a harsh pat on her back. She stood up and nervously waved, catching the worried stares she received. Whispers filled the room, and a platinum blonde Slytherin was the first to call out, "Isn't that the daft woman who married Sirius Black?Is she here to finish the job? Who do you think she will murder first?" He snickered to his friends. Her heart shattered but she refused to show it. She sat down with a small smile still plastered on her face. Dumbledore quieted the rowdy students, when finally Harry clapped. Her eyes shot up from her plate to find his fixed on her. It was a look that successfully combined James' heart and Lily's soul. She gave him an appreciative nod in response.

Snape took a bite of his food and muttered "Don't mess this up Evalyn."

"I'm really trying not to."