Chapter 37

Regulus and Dumbledore sat eyeing each other in Grimmauld Place. The old wizard finally convinced the young man to share his information on where he had found the horcrux. "It's no longer there however. I made sure of it before I died."

The headmaster smiled, the twinkle in his eye was almost unsettling for Regulus. It was as if he had some sort of plan that everyone else was blind to. "I see, do you know where it is at then?"

"It was stolen, I've been searching for it myself. It'd be rather pointless to go to the cave again though. There's nothing there but a fake."

"Very well then, pleasure talking with you." He stood up and gave a slight bow before apparating away. Immediately, Regulus went to Sirius.

"I need you to send a patronus to Evalyn, I think Dumbledore might be going to the cave." Sirius looked at his brother for a moment before sending the message to his wife.

Evalyn was nearly asleep when the blue dog appeared next to her bedside. Throwing a jumper on over her pajamas and sliding her shoes on, she raced towards Dumbledore's office. Along the way, she threw her hair up into a ponytail. Just as the entrance to the office was opened, she realized she made it just in time. "I'm coming with you."

Dumbledore, knowing he was in no shape to argue, agreed with her. She didn't know how bad this trip would be. Regulus never talked about it much, but she knew after losing him to the place, she couldn't let Harry go on his own.

Waves crashed along the coast when they appeared on a seaside. The very one that she met Kreacher at years ago when she found out about Reggie's death. It looked different when it wasn't covered in snow. They approached a cave where a blood sacrifice was needed to enter. Dumbledore looked to the younger pair with the most honest look she had ever seen. "If something happens to me, you need to leave immediately." His eyes locked onto Evalyn's, almost sending her a message. She swallowed and nodded despite Harry's pleas. Dumbledore's blood hit the door, and the sight made Evalyn weary.

A lake surrounded a small island in the middle. Peering into the water, her eyes widened and she yanked Harry away from the edge. "Evalyn you will have to stay here, only one adult can take the boat at a time." Dumbledore said as he made his way to an invisible boat. She pulled her wand out ready to defend the two at any cost. "I trust you've been practicing your powers?"

"Of course headmaster." Evalyn hugged Harry and kissed his forehead before he climbed in the boat.

Dumbledore lingered on the shore to speak to Evalyn. "I apologize that we have not seen eye to eye over the years. You have truly been a magnificent witch, and I am so proud of how far you've come."

"It sounds like you're saying goodbye Dumbles." She spoke quietly with a sad smile. "It's not your time yet, we still need you." Despite her disagreements with the way he has run things, she still had a ton of respect for the man. Her hand reached for his shoulder and gave a quick squeeze.

"Remember what I said. If something happens to me, leave. Make sure Harry leaves too. The Order will need someone to look to."

"I'll make sure you make it out of this cave, just keep him away from the water." Dumbledore gave a grin and turned to the boat. Evalyn stood alert, the chill of the gave sent goosebumps up her bare legs. She swore to herself about wearing shorts to sleep instead of pants. Dumbledore started screaming in agony as he drank something from the island. Her heart clenched, knowing this is what Regulus went through nearly on his own. Poor Kreacher having to watch as the boy suffered. Harry kept feeding Dumbledore whatever potion he was forced to drink despite the old man's cries.

Assuming he reached the end when Harry picked up some sort of item, she called out to them. "Get him back in the boat Harry, we can help him over here."

"Water" Dumbledore begged from his position on the ground. Harry ignored Evalyn's words and scrambled to find him some water. When he knelt down at the lake's edge, the sole light of the cave went out. She heard the boy cast Lumos and screamed right when it was too late.

"Harry NO!" He dipped the shell into the lake water unaware of the consequences. A decayed arm reached out from the water and grabbed his wrist, nearly pulling him in. Right before her eyes, a swarm of inferi climbed the small island to drag Dumbledore and Harry to their doom. Harry was shooting spell after spell to fend them off but quickly, he was overpowered. From her spot by the door, she panicked. A wall of fire was shot out from her hands. With no way to get over to them, she had to use a lot of her power to reach all that distance. The fire snaked around, effectively taking out the inferi.

"Harry you both need to get out of there! I can't hold it forever." She shouted over all of the noise. Harry got the message and helped Dumbledore into the boat while still trying to send spells at the inferi. It seemed to take forever making its way back across the lake. So Evalyn surrounded them in a circle of flames with one hand. The other hand was trained towards the water and she used her control over it to send the boat skyrocketing towards her. Once they made it safely by her side, they ran out of the door first. She started walking backwards, keeping the flames attacking the inferi heading their way now. Once she made it outside, she sent one more strong burst of flames towards them and the door slammed and sealed shut. She bent over, panting and exhausted. "Can we go back now? I think I need a nap." With her hand, she wiped the sweat off her forehead and the two males laughed. She conjured a goblet and filled it with water before passing it to Dumbledore. "I might have to have a little chat with Reggie when I get back home later." Evalyn mumbled, there was a chance he wouldn't have died if she had just gone with him. It was obvious Voldemort didn't take into account her magically powers when he put up all the traps.

When they apparated back to Hogsmeade, Madam Rosmerta stopped them. Worry was etched all over her face and Evalyn grew anxious.

"The Dark Mark!" The witch breathed out. "Over Hogwarts!" The group looked towards the school. "Come quickly, I have brooms you can use to get back!"

Evalyn's hands shook, her body was still drained from the over exertion of power in the cave. "I knew this would happen." Harry spoke  just as she sat behind him on one of the brooms. "Oh bloody hell." Her words were a whisper into the wind as they took off towards the chaos.