Chapter 33

Back at Hogwarts, things were growing tense. Students were afraid, the professors were on alert, and the bullying of muggle borns was at an all time high. Evalyn was currently reprimanding 3 pure blood 5th years who had pushed a couple younger students down the stairs for not being pure enough. Her arms were crossed and she had taken away 10 points from each of them. However, they simply laughed in her face.

"As if we care for what you are saying. Married to a filthy blood traitor, you aren't even pure yourself. Just wait and see what happens." The tallest one said smugly. Draco who was walking nearby overheard the conversation. He had been trying to avoid Evalyn since the term started. The guilt consumed him. Blaise and Theo quickly joined his side to watch the commotion.

"You've just earned yourself a detention." She turned to the other two who were laughing. "You two as well."

The tallest one stepped closer to her, eye to eye with Evalyn. "As if I'd ever listen to someone like you." Draco nudged Blaise and nodded towards the group of students. Getting the message, he walked up confidently with a smile. Theo trailed closely behind with a scowl.

"What seems to be the issue here?" His pearly white teeth gleamed with his smile.

The trio faltered briefly under the two Slytherin's attention. "We were just telling Mrs Evalyn here that we don't have to listen to her."

The grin never left Blaise's face, "And why is that?"

"Because she's not a professor and she is a traitor." The girl of the group trembled as she eyed Theo warily.

"Well that is bollocks if you ask me." The students gaped at his comment. "She is a member of the staff yeah?" The third one who hadn't spoke much nodded. "And did you or did you not do something you weren't supposed to?"

The tall one grew frustrated, "Who's side are you on Zabini?"

"Stupido sciocco! We are at Hogwarts, not your bloody house, show some respect. Se non ti fai indietro ti batterò fino in polta." Theo stepped towards the 5th year who looked to Evalyn.

"Detention with Filch, every day for a week." She stood her ground. "Mr. Zabini, Theodore." Evalyn nodded at the boys. Theodore hated when she called him by his last name. The two returned the gesture and waited for her to walk away before turning back to the students. Draco walked up and scowled at the group.

"If you are going to be a prick, at least don't get caught. And just remember you fools, she may not be pure but she is still a part of my family." The three students nodded in fear before running off.

On her way back to her office, Snape pulled her aside. "Yes Severus?" The stress from the day was eating her alive and it was clear on her face. Her hair was frazzled and if one looked closely, they could see her eye twitch.

"Your presence was requested in the medical wing." He drawled out. "Mr Weasley has been injured." He barely finished the sentence when she took off running. The man turned around and let out a sigh before heading back to his classroom. He sat down at his desk and ran a tired hand down his face.

When Evalyn reached the medical wing, Ron's bed was surrounded by his family, Harry and Hermione. Dumbledore and Minnie were talking in hushed whispers on the other side of the room. She strode over to the adults and whispered, "what happened?"

"He was poisoned, lucky Harry got a bezoar in time to him." Minnie spoke quietly with a frown.

"This is the second student that has had a near fatal incident Headmaster, what do we do?" Evalyn worried about someone trying to kill the students.

"I'm certain these were isolated incidents, a mere coincidence. Rest assured, if it happens again, we will do something." Dumbledore spoke. Evalyn scoffed and walked away to join the small group surrounding Ron's bed. There was another girl crying by his side, gripping his hand with a death grip. Evalyn raised her eyebrows at Harry in question and glanced at the girl. He bit back a smile and rolled his eyes.

"Does anyone need anything?" Her eyes roamed among the group, everyone shook their heads no except for Harry. He got up and gestured for Evalyn to follow him.

They made it to a secluded area and Harry glanced around to see if anyone was nearby. "Malfoy is the one who poisoned Ron." Evalyn hid her shock well, although her heart pounded in her chest.

"Are you sure Harry? That is a bold accusation to make."

The teen nodded rapidly and looked to the ground, "I know you probably don't believe me, but I can feel it. It's him. It has to be." Evalyn frowned and considered her options.

"I'll look into it. See if I can find anything. If it is true, I will go to Dumbledore." Harry breathed a deep sigh of relief and gave her a hug.

"Thank you Evie."

"Anytime Harold."

Evalyn now paced outside of the Defense classroom. She tried to come up with what she was going to say to Snape. Without knocking, she burst through the room startling the wizard. "How is Mr. Weasley doing?"

"What is it you know about Mr. Malfoy?" Evalyn pulled a chair up right in front of Snape's desk and sat down. Her eyes never left his face, trying to pick up on any sort of lie.

"Well I'm under the impression he is still in Azkaban if that is what you are asking." He sat back in his seat, matching her eye contact. Evalyn might have been suspicious but she wouldn't dare betray what little trust they had for each other by trying to look in his mind.

She frowned, "That's not what I mean and you know it. You've been avoiding my questions and brushing me off every time I mention it. It has something to do with the vow you took yeah?"

He wrung his hands together, but his expression never changed. "I'm afraid I haven't a clue Evalyn. Now if you don't mind, I have a class starting soon and they should be arriving any minute now." She stood up and stormed out of the room, not bothering to put her chair back.

When the door closed with a loud bang, Snape stood up and started pacing back and forth. In frustration, he punched his desk. His pale knuckles immediately turned red at the force. He took his wand and waved it over his hand to heal any damage before regaining his composure. On the other side of the door, Evalyn marched past all of the students and straight into her quarters. With a handful of floo she went home.

She popped out of the fireplace with smoke swirling around her fingers and the tips of her hair. Sirius and Regulus shared a glance, almost debating on who would be the one to approach her first. Her husband decided to risk it and wrapped his arms around her carefully. She groaned in frustration into his chest. "What's wrong Lynnie? Who do I have to fight?"

"I think Harry's right about Draco." Saying it out loud made her crumble. It felt like she failed him. The same way she felt when she found out about Regulus and Barty. Her knees gave out as she sobbed and Sirius helped guide her to the ground.

"It'll be okay Lynnie." He glanced up at his younger brother in worry. Regulus frowned and went to make some tea for everyone. "I just know it."