Chapter 24

With Sirius being unable to leave the house and Evalyn deciding to stay with him to keep him company, the days dragged on. They did everything from painting the rooms, dancing, baking, even practicing dueling to make the time go by quicker. Occasionally they received visitors from the Order. Harry's first and only letter came at the beginning of October. He explained briefly that the new Defense professor is a ministry oaf and they are putting together a secret defense club. Evalyn agreed to meeting with them for adult supervision if need be and to be wary of what he writes in letters.

It worried her that the ministry was involved in Hogwarts. She knew what they were saying about Harry and herself. The few times she did go out in public for supplies, people looked at her as if she were insane. The papers claimed that the stress of her murderous husband being on the run had gotten to her mind and drove her mad. Honestly Evalyn didn't care what they said about her, but reading the words that called Harry a liar made her furious. Sirius had to stop her several times from marching up to the ministry.

The middle of December came, and the snow gathered around Grimmauld Place. Snowflakes clung to the window panes and there was a slight chill in the air. "Do you think we will ever get our happy ever after?" The couple were tangled up in the sheets, her fingers playing with the ring on his hand. He brought her fingers up to his lips and pressed a soft kiss to them.

"I'd like to think so." He closed his eyes and buried his head in the crook of her neck. He threw an arm around her waist and pulled her closer.

"Maybe we could get a house that's by a big field. A dog or a cat as well." Her hand now ran through Sirius' curls as she thought about what it would be like. "I could have a small garden right outside."

Sirius hummed, enjoying the feeling of her dainty hands combing through his hair. "I always wanted a kid, I'd be a horrid father though. That's why I was so excited for James and Lily to have one." Evalyn frowned, she wanted one, but the risk had always been too great.

"I'm sorry Siri, I wish things turned out better for us." The man shot up, and pulled her into his lap. He wrapped his arms around her tightly and kissed the top of her head.

"Don't apologize love, I am with you, and we can see Harry. There is nothing more I could ask for at the moment. I love you."

A knock on the door alerted them before they could continue the conversation. Evalyn climbed out of his lap and made her way to the front door.

"Who is it?"

"Dumbledore."

"What did I ask of you when you asked me to join your group?"

"To protect Regulus if he asks for help."

There was a click of the door and Dumbledore was allowed entry. His worried look made Evalyn guarded. "What happened?"

"The children will be arriving soon, we have sent some members to check on Arthur Weasley."

Evalyn furrowed her brows, "Is he okay? Did something happen to him?" Sirius had joined her side after he heard Dumbledore's voice. His arm rested on her waist and he rubbed soothing circles onto her hip. The witch was still in her pajamas as it was still night. Her hair was in two plaits that were falling loose. Sirius had changed into something a bit more appropriate for guests, choosing some trousers and a nicer shirt.

"Harry had a vision about Arthur being attacked. We believe it was a snake. I must get back to the school. The children will arrive by portkey." The headmaster disappeared, right before a pop was heard.

A cluster of red heads and then two others showed up. They were frantically looking around for their parents. Evalyn quickly moved her way to the group, with Sirius following right behind. "Where's our mum and dad?!" Ginny asked with tears in her eyes.

Evalyn gave a soft uneasy smile. "The Order is with them now. In the meantime, you will be staying here with us. I will do what I can to keep you updated." Ginny huffed, unhappy with her answer.

"We need to go see them." Fred and George made their way to leave when Sirius grabbed both of them.

He had a hand on both of their shoulders, "We are under strict orders from Dumbledore to keep you here. Your mum will send word as soon as she hears something." His voice echoed across the room. It was stern, yet not harsh. The Weasley children and Hermione made their way to their respective rooms.

Evalyn called up, "If you need anything just ask." Her eyes darted to Harry who was standing still. There was a look of uneasiness on his face as he avoided her gaze. "Alright Harry?" She asked as Sirius walked over and gave him a hug.

"Can I talk to you both?"

Evalyn nodded and guided the two males into a room. "What's bothering you kid?"

He wrinkled his nose at the name but ignored it. "Do you think I'm a bad person?" Evalyn shared a look with Sirius who was frowning.

"Never Harry, you have a troubled life for someone so young. You are doing what you can to survive but you are also putting your life at risk to save the ones around you. That is not a bad person." She covered his hand with hers. "Nobody expects you to be perfect all of the time."

"I'm just so angry all of the time. All my life I've been compared to Voldemort. I even have the same bloody wand as him." He ran an anxious hand through his hair and looked to the ground. "What if I'm becoming like him?"

Evalyn wrapped an arm around his shoulders and he leaned into her. Sirius pursed his lips before talking. "You're not becoming like him. You are Harry Potter. The boy who would put everyone else before himself. The boy who works himself to the bone to make sure those around him are okay. It is okay to be angry occasionally. Especially when you are dealt shit cards in a war."

"I'm just so tired. I feel like the outcome of the war is resting on my shoulders. If I make one wrong move, then everyone I love will get hurt." Evalyn grimaced, thinking about what happened in the first war. Those deaths were her fault. It was like Sirius knew what she was thinking, and he nudged her knee with his.

"I can understand that Harry. More than anyone." She spoke quietly. Tears formed in her eyes. The teen looked over to his godmother.

"How?"

"I'm sure you've seen what I can do." She flicked her wrist and a tiny flame raced around her fingertips. Harry nodded and signaled for her to continue. "It's very rare, and it's genetic. Only happening in witches of my bloodline. It was passed from my father's side, he didn't have any of the special powers since he was a male. I didn't know about it until around the last couple years that I was in Hogwarts. Both sides considered me to be a valuable asset. A weapon if you will. I worked hard with a few people to train and control my powers so I can keep myself safe." She frowned and sniffed. She missed her friends.

"I met Tom Riddle on a couple occasions. I was kidnapped, tortured, and nearly killed to try to convince me to join them. By humiliating him, I put a target on everyone's backs. I was pushed and pushed by the Order to take out as many dark wizards as I could. It was exhausting. Obviously, we know how that ended."

Sirius cleared his throat, "Lynnie grew angry and upset with all of it. However, she was never a bad person for it. It is okay to lose your cool every once in a while when you are being pushed. If you try to hold it in, it will only make things worse. And this is a war Harry, people will get hurt. People will die and it won't be your fault. We signed up for the Order, knowing that our lives would be on the line."

Harry nodded and thought over their words. It made him feel slightly better to hear it from the two people he admired. Evalyn pulled him closer and kissed the top of his head. "Get some rest Harry, you deserve it. We will be right here if you need anything."

The teen got up and made his way to the door. His hand hovered over the door knob for a moment before turning around. His cheeks were pink and he looked to the ground. "Could I possibly stay with you tonight?"

Evalyn's face lit up and she turned to Sirius in excitement. The man laughed at his wife and gave Harry a yes. Evalyn grabbed her wand and made the bed slightly bigger before climbing in. Harry lay beside her, in between her and Sirius. Her hand found his and gave him a reassuring squeeze. And finally, for once in a long time, Harry had no nightmares.