Chapter 18

The door to her office opened one day. It was the usual time that Draco would come in to do his studies, so it wasn't a surprise when a head of platinum hair waltzed in the room. However, she was surprised when two other Slytherins followed in almost nervously after him.

"Good afternoon Mrs.Black." Blaise Zabini greeted her politely. The other one, a young Theodore Nott, stood next to him. They looked around the room at the decorations. Her goal for the room was a friendly atmosphere. The window let in a warm sunlight, flowers were enchanted to always stay fresh, and there was a smell of some sort of baked good that lingered in the air. To her, it was important to have somewhere that felt comfortable.

"Good afternoon Blaise and Theodore, take a seat." With a gentle smile, she gestured to the chairs around the room. The two seemed to relax visibly at her kindness as they set down their belongings. Evalyn turned to Draco, who hasn't said anything yet. "Alright Draco?"

"Fine." He mumbled as he leaned his head into his hands.

Evalyn walked up next to him and knelt down by his chair so that she was eye level with him. "Do you want to talk about it?" His friends tensed up and eyed her wearily. They knew how touchy the blonde could be when he was in a bad mood. However, when Draco opened his mouth, they were shocked.

"What do I have to do to get some bloody recognition around here?" Evalyn gave him her full attention so he could continue. His words were too similar to what she has heard many years ago. "I'm near the top of my classes, but Granger gets all the attention since she's muggleborn." He stopped using the slur around Evalyn because he didn't want to upset her. "I try my best in quidditch, but Saint Potter is always there to save the day. Potions is my best class, and Snape hardly even praises my work. My parents hold such high standards for their heir that I'm not sure if I could ever please my father."

Evalyn's heart fractured. She looked at the boy and spoke, "Draco, you are honestly one of the most talented wizards in the school. I have seen first hand what you can accomplish and I'm proud of you. In life, there will always be someone who is better than you, or receive more praise than you do, even if you deserve it. But what matters, is whether or not the people you hold close to you care. I know I will always be proud of you, and I can assure you that your mates over here will be too. As long as you are true to yourself. I also know, for a fact, that your mom is proud." Draco wasn't aware of the fact that his mom and Evalyn exchanged letters once or twice throughout the school year. She was worried about her son, and wanted to have an honest opinion on how he's doing. The Slytherin perked up almost instantly.

"Thank you."

She gave the boys a smile, before turning to her cabinet. "Now, do you want more brownies, or snickerdoodles?"

A month later, the second task came up. Evalyn and "the golden trio" had worked together many nights on various spells that could potentially help him. It wasn't until Professor McGonagall sent word for Evalyn, Ron, and Hermione the night before the task that she found out what would be happening. In a small room, she stood protectively in front of the two Gryffindors. There was also a young French girl, and Ravenclaw Cho Chang. The Game officials and a couple Professors stood opposite Evalyn. "What do you mean you are sending them under the water? It's not safe in the Black Lake, you've said so yourself Professor McGonagall." The transfiguration professor nearly flinched, she was so used to the younger woman calling her Minnie, that the formal name hurt slightly.

"They will be fine, we have talked with the merpeople and they will be asleep. They won't even notice what has happened until they reach the top." Ludo Bagman tried reasoning with Evalyn.

The former Hufflepuff clinched her fists to try and hold back the magic that was threatening to explode. She took in a deep breath, "I'm sorry, I cannot allow you to do this. It is bad enough you are endangering young students with this bloody contest, there is no need to risk any more."

Dumbledore stepped forward, giving her a sympathetic look. "I'm afraid it is too late for that, it has already been put into motion." Evalyn turned to look at Ron and Hermione with a questioning gaze. The two nodded, saying that they were okay with it.

She then looked towards the other two students, they both seemed surprised to have her attention. "How do you feel about this? If you don't want to, I won't let them do it." Ludo stepped forward, but Snape put his hand out to stop him from making a mistake. When the two younger witches agreed, Evalyn turned back to the adults. "If any one of these children get hurt, it will be you that goes into the water next."

Soon, the students were put into a slumber, and were taken away to be placed in the water. The Game officials left, leaving the professors and the Headmaster. The remaining individuals all turned to look at Evalyn. "What?" She asked with furrowed brows. There was still a hint of irritation in her voice.

"We are asking that you be on standby to help. You'd be the best option considering your abilities." Dumbledore requested.

"Obviously. That was my plan regardless. What was the alternative? I just sit there and look pretty while children drown?" She scoffed and brushed past the group. "Someone in this bloody school has to help them."

When the task started, Evalyn sat anxiously next to Snape. Fleur was the first one to come back, empty handed and panting. She overheard something about grindylows and popped out of her seat to help the remaining students. However, Snape put a hand on her shoulder and pulled her back down. "Not yet." He gritted his teeth at her as if she were a toddler.

"She was attacked by grindylows!" Evalyn whisper shouted. The man rolled his eyes and kept watching the water. Just after the time limit, Cedric had come back with Cho. She let out a shaky breath and sent a warming charm their way. Viktor was the next one with Hermione. Seeing the boy as half shark made Evalyn laugh. The minutes seemed to tick by slowly as they waited for Harry.  A red head and a blonde popped out of the water and swam to the docks. Evalyn bounced her leg anxiously waiting for Harry to show up. Finally, she could see the top of his head, but she could tell the boy was struggling. Evalyn glanced briefly at Snape before taking matters in her own hands. Using Snape as a shield away from prying eyes, she flicked her hand in Harry's direction. The motion caused the water to help push him forward. The Potions Professor looked between Harry and Evalyn. "Looks like he used ascendio, smart lad." Her face held a smirk that rivaled James Potter's typical smug look.

Before he could say anything, she took off running to the students. She cast warming charms over each of them. "Are you all alright?" The group all nodded and thanked her. Evalyn turned her attention to Harry, "Don't scare me like that again, you almost gave me a heart attack." His eyes widened at her scolding. However, she brought him into a hug. "You did wonderful. Congratulations."

Harry couldn't tell you what made him do it, but he looked up at her and said "Thank you Evie." Evalyn felt too formal for their relationship, he wanted something just for him to call her. After all, she was the closest thing to a mother that he's ever had.

Evalyn sniffled as she gripped him tighter. She clinched her eyes shut to stop any tears from falling. "Oh Harry." Her heart felt more than complete in this moment, and she couldn't ask for anything else.