Chapter 39

The curse that Snape hit Evalyn with kept her unconscious for several days. She missed Dumbledore's funeral. Sirius stayed by her side almost all of the time. The only exceptions were to shower and use the bathroom which Remus and Regulus forced on him. Harry would come to visit occasionally, each time with an apology.

Hushed voices rang in her ears.

"Did you know that the locket wasn't in the cave?" Harry accused Regulus.

The former Slytherin crossed his arms and glared at him. "I told Dumbledore it wasn't there anymore. Do not blame me if he did not listen. I told him I had it in my possession when I died, but when I came back it was gone."

"You sent him to that cave! You knew he would go there anyways! Maybe you are still working for them!"

"Lads shut your mouths or take it else where." Sirius ran a tired hand down his face. His leg bounced anxiously. To him, it felt like everyone was on edge with Evalyn not around.

"You daft twat, I vowed on my life to not betray the Order. I wouldn't be here if I was working for them. Like I said, it's not my fault he didn't want to listen."

"Then where are you hiding it?!"

"Merlin you really are just like your father. Lily was always the one with the brains." Regulus grumbled. "As I've said, I don't know where it's at, Kreacher told me it was stolen and he has been searching for it. Do you honestly think I want to hold on to something like that?!"

Evalyn's eyes fluttered open, going unnoticed by the three men. Her hand found the crumpled note that Harry had previously thrown at Regulus. She opened it up and read over it. A snort escaped her lips, causing all three to whip their heads in her direction. "What's with the dramatics Reg? Did you carry a quill set and parchment into that cave with you? Did you write it before or after drinking the potion?"

3 sets of eyes just stared at her in disbelief. "Are you serious E?" Harry snickered at Reggie's question. She smiled, although it was a pained one.

"No, last time I checked, I was his wife." Next to her, Sirius started tearing up.

He cleared his throat and looked to the other two men. "Leave."

Regulus scoffed and rolled his eyes. He sent his brother a crude gesture on his way out of the room. "I'll be back to check on her later." Harry followed after him after sending the couple a sad smile.

When the two left, Evalyn finally cracked. She was holding it in to not worry everyone, but she felt safe with Sirius. Tears streamed down her face from both pain and heartbreak. He climbed into the bed next to her and pulled her gently into his chest. Her torso was bruised completely, and there was a set of scars added onto her previous ones on her shoulder. Mentally, her brain felt like it was spinning. Whatever Snape hit her with made her body feel like she was stomped on by a troll. Sirius' hand brushed through her hair. He silently cried, using his free hand to wipe the tears before they fell onto her head. "He knew what would happen Pads. Dumbledore knew he was going to die that night. He basically told me to lead the bloody Order." She whispered. Panic and anxiety consumed her. Her hands gripped at his shirt and he tightened his hold on her to bring her the feeling of safety. "And poor Draco." Sirius clenched his jaw, clearly unhappy with the path the young heir took. "He didn't want to do this. He said he would kill him if he didn't."

Evalyn tried to sit up, but a shot of pain flew through her abdomen. Sirius guided her back to her original position. "Merlin what spell did Snape hit me with?"

"I might actually kill him next time I see him. The bloody coward hasn't shown his face since that night." Sirius growled out.

"Oh hush Siri, it was a duel. I knew the risks when I chose to not use my full magic. He is an excellent duelist."