Chapter 15

By the time Evalyn got to Hogwarts, it was the beginning of November. She stood outside the Great Hall, waiting for Dumbledore to call her name. He wanted to give her a 'proper introduction' in front of the students.

Her ears picked up on the chatter of students gossiping. It was interrupted by a throat clearing. "I would like to welcome back Mrs. Evalyn Black. She will be returning to provide assistance to the professors and students during this busy school year." As soon as he said the words, the doors opened and Evalyn stepped inside. She gave a shy smile and wave before walking to an empty seat at the Professors table. Harry, Ron and Hermione stood up and cheered loudly. Her eyes twinkled at the trio and she raised her goblet towards them. A glance over to the Slytherin table showed her Draco Malfoy perked up and looking in her direction. Evalyn bowed her head ever so slightly towards him which he returned. She sat right in between Snape and Minnie, not even bothering to look at the other side of the table. If she had, she would have seen two men grow uncomfortable.

At the end of the meal, Evalyn stood to make her way to her sleeping quarters. However, she was stopped when a gruff voice called her name. Alastor Moody made his way over to the witch. She watched curiously as his tongue flicked in and out of his mouth. It was an action that was vaguely familiar, but she shrugged it off. "Always a pleasure Moody, I'm sure you've missed me." She said with a cheeky smile.

"Ah yes, it's been a long time since I've seen one of the most promising witches. How have you been Evalyn?" The man tried his best to not seem suspicious, and it seemed to be paying off.

"All is well, at least as it can be. I best be off, I need to go unpack." His fake eye darted to her wrist where her bracelet was kept while his real one stayed on her face. He gave a nod before walking off.

She continued on, only to be stopped a second time. This interaction wasn't as friendly. A rough hand grasped her arm forcefully and dragged her into a dark corridor. Evalyn was met with a horrid sneer. "Mrs. Black, I do hope we will be able to stay out of each other's way this year. I must say, I'm surprised to see you here."

"Karakoff, I'm surprised they let you be in charge of all these students. What kind of good impression could you possibly give them?" She eyed him up and down distastefully.

"That's rich coming from you witch, considering who your husband was." He reached up to tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. She swatted his hand away before he could even touch her. "I hope —"

"Karakoff, shouldn't you be watching after Krum? Your precious star might be needing something." Snape butted in to Evalyn's relief. The man looked between Snape and Evalyn before stalking off into the distance.

Evalyn turned to the Potions Professor. "Thank you, truly." He simply nodded at her before gesturing towards the faculty tower.

"I assume you are going to your quarters?" His voice drawled.

Evalyn nodded. "Attempting, but failing. I keep getting stopped." Snape started walking away with his robes fluttering behind him. Evalyn gaped at the fact that he left mid conversation.

However, the man slightly turned his head, "Are you going to keep up? I haven't got all day." The witch understood finally, and jogged up to the man. "They shouldn't bother you if you are walking with me." He muttered quietly. Evalyn was confused at the fact that he was being nice, but decided to not say anything. She didn't want to ruin the rare moment.

The next day, she was setting up her office. It was for counseling, according to Dumbledore. She would offer advice to the students, and help the professors with any extra work. At least that was her cover. Her main purpose was to help with the tasks and find out if anything suspicious is happening. As she put her last plant up, the door creaked open slightly. A boy plopped into the seat, crunching on a green apple. Evalyn didn't even have to turn around to know who it is. "Draco, nice to see you." She walked over to her chair and gave him her full attention.