Chapter 29

The clasps of Evalyn's luggage closed with a click. The two brothers stared at her with identical pouts. Now that they weren't fighting all the time, Evalyn could tell how similar the two actually were. Regulus loosened up slightly now that he was free from the pressures of his parents, but only around Evalyn and Sirius. "Do you have to go Lynnie? Why can't you just stay here with us?"

"Yes love" she reached up and ruffled both of their hairs "I have to keep an eye out on the children. I will be able to floo home fairly often though. I trust the place will still be standing?"
Regulus nodded and was about to speak when there was a knock on the bedroom door. He stiffened up and the smile on his face fell into a blank expression. "Come in!" Evalyn shouted.

Harry cracked the door open. "It's almost time to leave Evie." He stood awkwardly in the doorframe. Sirius walked over and pulled him into a hug.

"I'm going to miss you Harry." He muttered into the teens hair. "Be safe this year, one word to me and I'll bring you home." Harry nodded and pulled away. He looked at Regulus who gave him a stiff nod which he returned.

Evalyn flicked her wand, floating her trunks to the front door. "You two," she pointed a finger at both of the brothers. "Behave."

Sirius wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her in for a kiss. "Of course Lynnie, why wouldn't we?" A mischievous glint in his eyes told her everything she needed to know. He kissed her one more time, this one lasting slightly longer.

"Disgusting." Regulus whispered under his breath. Evalyn pulled away with a wide smile on her face.

"Don't be silly Reggie, you know you love us." She held her arms out expectantly. He rolled his eyes but hugged her nonetheless. He buried his face in the crook of her neck to hide his smile.

"Stay safe E, I just got back." Evalyn gently tightened her arms around him, letting him know she heard. When he pulled away, he went back to being expressionless as Harry and Evalyn walked out. As soon as the door shut, Sirius clapped his hands in excitement. Regulus scrunched his nose at the loud sound.

"So baby brother, what do you want to do first?"

Meanwhile, Evalyn sat in a compartment on the train by herself. She wanted to give Harry and his friends some privacy, but there were also no other staff members on the train. She got up to use the toilet, not noticing a pair of red rimmed silvery eyes watching her. When she made her way back to her compartment, she went to shut the door behind her, only for it to be stopped by a pale hand. Draco entered quickly, nearly slamming the door behind him. His arms were quickly thrown around her as he sobbed into her shoulder. "I'm sorry." He whispered.

Her heart shattered, she gently rubbed his back as he let out all of his tears. "You don't have to apologize for anything hun. Everything is okay." Truthfully, she worried about what might have happened. However, she wouldn't dare ask him, he could say it if he wanted to.

He shook his head and pulled away, using the sleeve of his suit to wipe away his tears. He didn't care if it damaged the clothing. Evalyn swished her wand around, cleaning up the boy's appearance. His hands straightened up his suit and stood taller. He let out a deep breath as if he didn't completely break a mere moment ago. "Would you like to sit and talk Draco?" She gestured to the seat.

"No thank you Mrs. Evalyn, it is good to see you again." In the corner of her eyes, she saw his right hand linger around the sleeve of his left arm, fiddling with the hem. "I trust you won't speak to anyone about this?" He spoke with a formal posh pureblood tone that she heard Regulus use whenever he was putting on a show.

"Very well, you have my word Mr. Malfoy." She gave him a kind smile and watched as he left the compartment. Evalyn finally settled back into her seat, a million thoughts racing through her mind.

The door slid open again, and Harry shut it before plopping down next to her. "I think Draco is a death eater." Evalyn offered no reaction other than her eyes squinting open.

"Why would you say that Harry?" She closed her eyes and focused on controlling her breathing. Honestly, Evalyn knew it was probably true considering what happened with Lucius. However, she also knew that if he was, there was the likely option he didn't have a choice in the matter. She gave Draco her word, and she wouldn't betray him like that. So Evalyn listened to Harry rant about how Draco was just 'different' and gave him an occasional nod to show she was listening. After he finished she looked at him with a soft smile, "I understand your concerns Harry. But for the moment, you shouldn't work yourself up about it. I will look into myself." Her words settled in him, but she could tell he was not satisfied by this answer. When he left, she just shrugged and tried to get some rest again.

At Hogwarts, Dumbledore announced Professor Slughorn as the new Potions Professor and Snape as the new DADA Professor. Evalyn clapped politely from the seat next to Snape's. "Congratulations of the position Severus, I know you've been wanting that one for a while. You'll do wonderfully." She whispered from behind her goblet. The corners of his lips tugged upward.

"I'd also like to welcome back Mrs. Evalyn Black. She will be returning to her usual office for any counseling purposes." She gave a sweet smile and waved to the students from her seat. Several groups clapped for her but her eyes lingered at the door that just opened. In by himself walked Harry Potter, blood dripping down his face. He locked eyes with her just briefly catching a look of disapproval from the witch. He bowed his head in shame and took his seat, not bothering to look up at her again. She found Draco at the table of snakes, his focus was clearly elsewhere as he picked at his food.

Evalyn tapped on Snape's hand, catching the feeling of familiar scars. Ones that had been branded on her hands for a good chunk of her life. Looking at it, she could see similar bands of vines, showing that he took some sort of vow. However, that wasn't any of her business so she ignored it. "Is Draco okay? He looks troubled." Snape's gaze lingered on her who was still looking at the Malfoy heir.

"It is probably just stress Evalyn, I'm certain the boy is fine." He went back to eating, pretending as if he didn't know what was really wrong. It made him uneasy lying to Evalyn. Knowing what was to come by the end of the year made him almost nauseous. There was too much at stake this year to allow any slip ups, and keeping Evalyn in the dark about it would be the best way to handle it.

The witch frowned, still looking at Draco. She sighed before pushing her own food around with her fork. "I hope so, I hate to see him this way."

Changing the conversation, Snape drawled out. "Potter came in late." With a sneer, "With a bloody nose."

Evalyn rolled her eyes with a fond smile, "Just like his father, always up to something. Can't leave him alone for too long." Her mood brightened up considerably. "Maybe he tripped and fell, it's very possible."

The thought made Snape smile slightly. "That'd be a sight to see."

Ron, Hermione, and Harry were gaping at the two adults from the Gryffindor table.

"Bloody hell! Is that Evalyn laughing with Snape?!"

Harry attempted to wipe dried blood off his face for the third time, "Maybe she is just being polite, I didn't know Snape could be funny."