Chapter 36

Only a couple weeks later, Evalyn found Snape running towards Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. She follows him in curiosity, not used to seeing the man rush anywhere. "What's happening?" Evalyn tried calling out to the man but was ignored.

Quickly catching up, she froze upon entering the bathroom. Harry was standing pale faced and in shock. Water flooded the floors, soaking their shoes and the ends of their robes. Red swirled in the water from all of Draco's blood loss. The young Malfoy was barely hanging on to consciousness. Whimpers came from his mouth as Snape was knelt beside him muttering healing spell after healing spell. Several cuts were open on the boy's body that were pouring out blood. She broke free from her initial shock and ran up beside him to hold his hand. His forearm was exposed, revealing a very vivid dark mark that Evalyn made sure to not look at. She had a feeling on which spell Harry used on him, the man who created it kneeling beside her. To help bring comfort, she hummed a song and ran her free hand through his hair. Green eyes filled with worry watched as each cut was sealed shut. Once the last one was healed, Draco was unconscious from the pain. Snape levitated the boy and turned to Harry. "Stay here Potter. Come with me Evalyn." The Gryffindor, still frozen in fear, gave a nod of acknowledgement and avoided looking at his godmother.

Evalyn followed Snape silently, her eyes glued on the blood soaked stains on her hands and robes. The memories of the previous war played rapidly on repeat in her mind. When they got to the Hospital Wing, she turned to the nearest bucket and vomited. Poppy administered potion after potion to Draco without question. Once Evalyn regained her senses, she joined Snape by Draco's side. Poppy had left them to watch over the boy, so Snape pulled the curtains tight around them and cast a silencing charm. "You have seen nothing Evalyn." His voice was stern and threatening. She gave a nod and kept her eyes on the boy.

"I understand more than you think Severus." Evalyn frowned and ran her hand through Draco's hair. "You're looking out for him?" A question and a statement. She figured this is probably what his unbreakable vow is.

Ignoring her, he chose to simply say, "Will you be talking to Potter or shall I?"

"I'll talk to him later, just don't scare him too much. I do have one question though. How did he learn your spell?"

Severus frowned, "It seems he has found my book."

"Is there anything else in there that we should concern ourselves with Severus?" She sat back in a chair and looked at him with a pointed look. "How'd you manage to lose it in the school anyways? You don't seem like the type to just leave your possessions behind so carelessly."

"I honestly couldn't tell you Evalyn. Come get me if he wakes." His robes billowed behind him  as he turned to leave.

A few hours later, he awoke. His eyes blinked slowly as he adjusted to the light. He winced from the pain as he tried to sit up. "Stay lying down Draco." Evalyn said softly. Pained silver eyes shot towards her and she gave him a kind smile.

"You know." The bitterness oozed from his voice. His head hit the pillow as he looked up to the ceiling. Evalyn reached for his hand to give it a gentle squeeze. "I probably deserved this."

"Nobody deserves to almost die. Especially those who are still children."

"I'm sorry I failed you." His bottom lip trembled as he held back his tears. Evalyn gave his hand another quick squeeze.

"You didn't fail me, the adults failed you. It is up to us to protect the young ones." She stood up, ready to get the nurse and Snape. "Just remember Draco, you always have time to make the right decision."

For a moment he was silent. He debated on what he should say. Eventually, he settled on something. "You should leave the school. You are just as much of a target as Potter."

"I can handle myself, but if you know something, you should tell me." Evalyn stood patiently by his bedside. The boy simply shook his head and closed his eyes. He was done with the conversation.

On her way out, she set forth to find Harry. The boy was heading towards the courtyard. His face was troubled and it was obvious he was ignored his friends' chatter. "Harry, come with me." His head shot up to meet Evalyn's gaze and he gulped anxiously before nodding. The walk to her office was silent.

Once she shut her door behind them, she turned to give him a hug. He was shocked by the motion and hugged back. "I'm not in trouble?" He whispered into her embrace.

"You are, but I wanted to show you that I still love you first." The blonde pulled away and gestured towards the chairs. She had forgotten to change clothes, so the bloodstains were dried and kept grabbing her attention. "He's alright, in case you were wondering. It will leave some scars though." Harry nodded and pushed up his glasses. His body sank in relief hearing that the Slytherin was okay. "Now are you going to tell me what's happening to you?"

He took his glasses off and cleaned them to keep his hands busy. "I'm just angry and tired all of the time." Evalyn nodded and waited for him to continue. "I know it was him who cursed Katie Bell, and who poisoned Ron. I know he's a death eater, and I feel like nobody is listening to me about it."

"You could have killed him Harry. You didn't even know what that spell was when you cast it did you?" He looked down and shook his head. "I won't tell Sirius, Merlin knows he would get a kick out of it. But I think maybe you should talk to Regulus."

"Why?" Harry furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

"Because Harold, in a war, not everyone has a choice on whose side they are on. They are put in awful positions where their hand is forced and I think Draco had no choice. If you think about it, his father was arrested, leaving his mother is all alone. He might not be brave in the sense of Gryffindor bravery where he will stand up for what's right regardless of the cost. But he's brave in the sense of doing what he has to in order to survive. In order to protect his loved ones. Reggie knows more than anyone what it's like. If I gave up on Reg the way that everyone is giving up on Draco, he wouldn't have had much of a reason to do what's right."

Harry thought on her words. He didn't consider what Malfoy could be going through. "I'll apologize to him, but he needs to apologize to me because he nearly used Crucio on me."

Evalyn gaped at Harry when she heard that news. "I'll be sure to talk to him about that."