Chapter 11

So far, Evalyn has had no luck tracking down Peter. She has spent many days roaming corridors and the grounds of Hogwarts to find the pesky rat. Her and Sirius were growing restless, and now that the school year only had a few months left, they were trying to figure out if they should go on the run or not. With the food Evalyn brought, the man was starting to look a bit healthier. However, the stress and the elements of living on the run were affecting him. There were prominent dark circles under his eyes. His stormy grey eyes were a permanent dull, as if life itself were draining from him. His body ached from staying outside. Even his hair was struggling to keep the shine in it.

He transformed into Padfoot to watch the final quidditch game of the year. Evalyn sat in the stands next to Remus. She spotted the dog on her way to the field and sent him a subtle kiss. His heart raced seeing her support their godson.

However, much to everyone's surprise, she wore a green hat. Draco's number was sewed into the muggle baseball hat, while Harry's number was on her Gryffindor shirt. The young Slytherin beamed in pride when he noticed the little symbol meant for him.

The game was rough for the Slytherin's. They had only scored 20 points when Harry caught the snitch. Draco walked off the field in defeat, scowling at everyone who laughed. Evalyn caught up quickly to him before going to congratulate Harry. The young boy looked up at her, "Come to brag Mrs Evalyn?"

She put a hand on his shoulder and gave him a sympathetic smile, "No Draco, I came to say good game. I'm sure next time you'll win. Just keep practicing, you fly wonderfully." When he didn't say anything, she gave him one last nod and walked away. After Evalyn turned around, the corners of his lips tugged upward ever so slightly. However, it quickly fell when some other students started laughing at his expense.

Evalyn waited patiently as the Gryffindors cheered Harry on. Once he was set on the ground, she made her way over to congratulate him. "You did well Harry, I'm so proud of you." Her smile was bright and he did the first thing that came to mind. He hugged her. Evalyn breath hitched and tears sprung to her eyes as she wrapped her arms around her godson.

"Thank you Evalyn, it means a lot." He whispered into the hug before he pulled away. Her words of praise meant more to him than she would ever know.

She ruffled his hair and readjusted his glasses, "Of course Harry, go celebrate with your friends. I'll be sure the party can last a little longer before we have to shut it down." Evalyn winked knowingly at the boy before heading towards Remus.

After Remus fell asleep, she practically ran to the Forest. In her basket were some bottles of butterbeer and some treats she snagged from the party they crashed. Once she laid eyes on Sirius, she practically threw the basket down and ran into his arms. "Did you see? He was brilliant!"

The wizard laughed as he caught her and braced the both of them so they wouldn't fall. "Yes Lynnie, he was outstanding. James would be so proud. In fact, I believe he is even better than James."

Evalyn gasped dramatically, "Oh no Sirius, I bet he's throwing a fit about those words right now to Lily wherever they are."

"No, he's probably throwing a fit about that green hat you were wearing today." He smirked down at her. Sirius then laid out a blanket on the ground before sitting on it. Then he pulled Evalyn to his lap and she cuddled up in his arms.

"I had a good reason for it."

His lips met her jaw before lightly nibbling at her ear. "I'm sure of it Lynnie, you always have had too big of a heart." She felt him grin against her skin as she giggled.

"I couldn't show too much favoritism. Draco is a good kid, he just needs some light in his life." Evalyn turned in his lap so that she was facing him. Her legs were straddled around his waist and his arms supported her back.

He placed a gentle kiss on her lips, "I love you and your beautiful heart Lynnie. But let's be honest, that kid is the spitting image of the wanker that is Lucy."

Evalyn sighed and rested her forehead against hers, "He's just a boy, and until he pushes me away, I'll be there for him. Now let's celebrate Harry's win." She smirked as she wordlessly summoned the butterbeers.

A couple hours later, the two were sharing giggles and sweet kisses. Both of their cheeks stained pink from the alcohol. A breeze softly blew, creating a cascade of goosebumps up Evalyn's arms. Sirius' hands rubbed up and down them to try to warm her up. "You should get back to the castle love, you're getting too cold."

Evalyn shook her head and huddled closer to him. "I want to stay here with you." He laid down, pulling her on his chest. Once she was comfortable against him, he summoned the extra blankets and pulled them over her. His hands ran through her curls ever so softly as he hummed a song. Pretty soon, he heard a soft snore coming from the witch. After waiting a moment to know for sure that she was sleeping, he wrapped his arms around her to hold her close. Sleep came easy to him that night now that she was in his arms.

It was now the last month of the school year. There were still no signs of Peter. But Sirius had one last plan. It was risky but he was desperate. He also knew Evalyn would not agree with it whatsoever, so he kept it to himself and hoped that she would forgive him later. Especially if the rat is caught.

Evalyn checked herself in the mirror one last time. She wore a simple pair of jeans, a lavender sweater, and a pair of converse. Her hair was pulled back into a messy ponytail. Tucking her wand into her hair, she made her way to Hagrid's hut. Earlier that morning, word had gotten around that Buckbeak was to be executed later in the day. Knowing she couldn't convince them to not do it, she decided she would be there to provide comfort to those who needed it.

On the way, she notice Hermione punch Draco in the face. Judging by the angered look on the witch's face, he probably said something he shouldn't have. This one time she decided to pretend like she didn't see anything. Sometimes it takes a punch in the face to realize your actions are wrong. I will just deal with it later.

Evalyn stood inside Hagrid's hut when the trio of students walked in. Her eyes widened seeing the three. "You shouldn't be here, you don't want to see this." Hagrid agreed, giving them tea. The students pleaded to stay, but were told to be on their way after the tea was finished.

"Hang on a second Ron, I have something for you." Hagrid opened a small tin container and gently pulled out a rat. Evalyn's breath hitched as she stared at the rodent from across the room. It was clear that Peter either didn't see her, or simply didn't recognize her.

"Scabbers!" Ron took hold of the rat, while Hermione stood defiantly in front of him.

"I suppose you owe someone an apology now." Evalyn sent the witch a silent thumbs up.

"You're right! Next time I see Crookshanks, I'll let him know." The red head spoke. Evalyn rolled her eyes but said nothing, as she didn't want to startle Peter. Suddenly a couple rocks were thrown into the window, and the presence of the executioner was noticed by the group.

Hagrid shooed them out before he let Dumbledore and the executioner in. Evalyn followed at a short distance behind them, just out of their sight so that she could keep track of Peter. She could feel her magic swirling inside of her as she got closer to him. The rage built up within her as she thought about all the pain he caused. A loud thud was heard, which Evalyn assumed was Buckbeak being killed.

However in that moment, Scabbers caught sight of Evalyn. The witch froze, knowing she'd been spotted. He bit Ron's finger and fell out of the boys grasp so he could take off running. Ron, who was distraught, chased after the rodent. Evalyn quickly bolted after them. Startled by the older witch, Harry and Hermione followed after them.

And that was when chaos ensued.