Chapter 42

The days turned into weeks, weeks into months. The seasons changed ever so slowly. Nobody from the Order knew this house had even existed, and they were placed under a Fidelius Charm with Regulus as the Secret Keeper. The three had grown restless in the confines of their house. Sirius and Regulus had started bickering again, leading Evalyn to exhaustion trying to keep the arguing at a minimum.

It was sometime around the end of winter, early spring when Evalyn sat outside on the swingset. The chilly air sent goosebumps up her arms despite the jumper and scarf she'd been wearing. All of a sudden, her bracelet had a soft warm feel to it that quickly disappeared. She assumed it was nothing, maybe Draco just brushed his hand against the chain on accident. However, a moment later, it warmed up again, this time for longer. She tapped her wand against the stone of her bracelet and got the location of somewhere in Diagon Alley. The witch shot to her feet and hurried inside. "I have to go see Draco."

Both men stopped moving completely and turned to her. "You're joking." Sirius started. "You can't, it's possibly a trap! He tried to kill Dumbledore for Merlin's sake!"

Evalyn shook her head, "You don't understand, not once has he used his chain to call for me despite all of the trouble he's faced. If he's using it, that means something happened! What if it's Harry? Or what if he's in danger?" She pleaded with tears in her eyes. Regulus knew that she was going to go with or without their approval. "I'll give you the location and if I'm not back in an hour you can come find me."

"You are out of your mind! You can't go! The second you step out there you are in danger!" Sirius paced back and forth in anger.

"It's a risk I'll have to take Siri." She looked at him softly and grabbed his hands. "I can't let him down like everyone else did. I'll be okay." His eyes searched hers and he sighed, recognizing his defeat.

"At least take one of us with you."

She shook her head, "I can't do that, I'm not going to risk either of your safety." He pressed a firm kiss to her forehead and then one to her lips.

"Crazy girl. I love you."

"I love you too." Evalyn grabbed a cloak and put the hood on before pulling her scarf up to cover up to her eyes. She embraced both of them, not noticing Regulus had put on his own cloak. The younger man looked to Sirius over Evalyn's shoulder and gave him a stiff nod. She wrote down the address and pulled her wand out to apparate. Just as things started to swirl, Regulus grabbed onto her.

When they landed, she gave him a harsh glare. "You twat! I could have splinched you!" She whispered. He pulled up his hood and gave her a smirk with a shrug.

"Eh I trust you."

In the distance Draco stood alone. He looked exhausted. His eyes were puffy and his nose was tinted pink as if he had been crying. The two took a moment to scope out their surroundings, and when they couldn't find any troubles, they made their way over to him.

"Draco?" The boy stopped fidgeted and locked eyes with her, quickly pulling her into a hidden corner. Regulus followed behind closely.

Two arms found their way around her as Draco held her close. "I don't want to do this anymore." He whispered. It was only then that he noticed Regulus. Draco stepped away abruptly and looked at the man up and down with a sneer. "Who the hell is this?"

"Draco... meet Regulus Black." Regulus didn't offer a hand to shake or anything. He just stood silently judging the boy. Draco gaped at him, pointing between her and Regulus.

"The Regulus Black? The one you've told me about?"

"The one and only." Evalyn smiled even though her face was covered. When Draco finally stuck his hand out to greet him, Regulus eyed it cautiously. After a moment he gave it a firm shake. "But are you okay though Draco? Are you safe?"

He shifted on his feet and frowned. "I'm not sure. They're staying at the manor. If they find out I met you here they might kill me. I just needed someone who wasn't crazy."

"Wait they're staying at your manor?" Regulus finally spoke up and he looked to Evalyn with worry in his eyes. "We have to—."

"Well well little Malfoy. How did you manage to catch her? We've been looking for her everywhere." Evalyn's hood was snatched down and both of their wands were taken away before they were grabbed. Her hands started to warm up as she was about to find a way to break free. However Mulciber yanked her back into his chest. "Ah ah, you try anything and your friend here will get hurt." He forcibly faced her to watch Avery pointing a knife right at Regulus' throat.

Draco stepped forward and opened his mouth but Evalyn cut him off. His eyes went wide as she spoke. "He found us trying to get supplies."

"And you didn't try to fight back? He's just a child." Avery spat out. Mulciber looked to Draco with narrowed eyes.

"I didn't think I had a reason too. I wasn't aware he was one of you." She spat out. After the two death eaters thought it over for a minute, they apparated to the Manor.

Her knees met the cold hard floor right next to Regulus when they made it to the Manor. His face was steel and offered no insight to whatever he may be feeling. "Call the Dark Lord, immediately!" Mulciber yelled to another death eater. Draco took his mother's side, afraid to look over at the two. It was his fault they ended up in this mess. It had been true, he didn't want any part of this anymore.

In a cloud of smoke, He arrived. His footsteps echoed in the silent room. Evalyn's head was forced to look downward in a bow as he approached. Long sharp fingers grabbed her jaw, forcing her head back up. Red eyes looked down at her, almost in humor at her situation. "You have been very difficult to find Evalyn." Regulus squirmed to try and break free. Voldemort turned to him and laughed. "And you, Regulus Black. You died betraying the dark mark. Tell me, was it her that made you defy me?" He snapped his fingers, conjuring up the cuffs that block magic onto her wrists.

Regulus sneered, "If I'm going to follow a mere half blood, I'd choose her over you any day."

"Crucio." Regulus fell to the floor screaming in pain. Voldemort held the curse on him until he nearly passed out from the pain. Blood dripped from his nose and ears.

"Leave him alone." Evalyn kicked Mulciber in the shins before wriggling out of his grasp. She stood tall and looked Voldemort in the face.

He grinned maniacally. "Now why would I do that?" With another flick of his wand he called out the same unforgivable curse. Regulus' screams rang through the room. "He betrayed me. He betrayed his lord. That is punishable by death."

"Tom," he sneered at the name. She kept her voice as calm as possible. "Let him go, no more harm to him. If you do that, I will stay. No fighting back." Voldemort raised an eyebrow considering her offer. "Also, no harm will come to the young death eaters. If I find out they have been hurt by you or one of your followers, the deal is off." Her eyes darted to Regulus who was trying to pull himself up. His eyes met hers and it was the most emotion she has ever seen on him. Heartbreak was written all over his face as he tried to shake his head.

"You will stay here? No fighting?"

"I won't get your silly little mark either." Voldemort clinched his fist but Evalyn stood her ground.

"The alternative is you killing him and I will make every single person in here suffer for it. You know it won't take me long to find a way out of these." She lifted up her wrists, shaking the cuffs.

Voldemort stood in front of her and ran a hand down her cheek. "You've got yourself a deal doll."

Regulus mustered up all of his strength to lunge for her "No!" He yelled and tried to reach for her. However a death eater grabbed his arm and disapparated. He was dropped off back in Diagon Alley with a thud. Tears sprung to his eyes as he rushed back home.

He landed in a bloody mess in their front yard. Sirius came running out as soon as he heard the faint popping sound. Dread filled his entire soul seeing the state of his younger brother. Before he could even ask, Regulus whispered "They took her." Sirius caught him just as he collapsed unconscious.