Chapter 27

"Oh yes my love it's so wonderful to see you, I'm so happy you are okay." Sirius mumbled in a high pitched voice as his wife went over to Regulus. Both Evalyn and Regulus sent him a meaningless glare before the younger Black brother wrapped his arm around Evalyn. Her sage eyes were big as she stared at him. Her fingers toyed with one of his curls and then she cupped his face with her hand. Evalyn examined for any type of marks or injuries.

"How are you here?" She muttered, mostly to herself. Remus moved to take a seat next to Sirius who was still pouting. Evalyn snuggled into the boy's chest, happy to be back with the one she would call her brother.

Sirius sat up, bringing the attention to himself. "It started when our lovely cousin hit yours truly and nearly sent me to my death. I will be returning the favor, but that's beside the point. Nobody nearly kills Sirius Black and gets away with it." He furrowed his brows, straying from the story.

"Sirius." His younger brother scolded him as he traced soft circles onto Evalyn's arm.

"Oh right! You sent your vines at me and yanked me, but then you were hit. When you fell the top half of me was pulled forward and I fell over. One of my legs went into the veil and SOMEBODY decided to grab me, NEARLY PULLING ME IN." His eyes darted to Regulus repeatedly, signaling that's who grabbed his leg in the veil. The boy rolled his eyes and let his brother continue. "Luckily Moony over here was able to pull me forward, and this bloke hitched a ride back to life."

Evalyn was starting to grow anxious thinking about all of it. It overwhelmed her. "What about your leg?"

He shrugged and gestured to his new brace, "I'll wear this for a while, the potions will take longer to heal it, considering it was in with the dead." Sirius spoke as if nothing major happened.

"But how is your leg messed up, but Reggie's fine?"

Regulus laughed, "Simple, I have better genetics."

Sirius gasped and clutched his chest, "Impossible!"

Remus shook his head with a smile, "The theory is that since he was dead when he entered the dimension where the veil takes you, he essentially reset from his last moment. No injuries, no scars, perfect health. A human isn't supposed to be able to enter alive. Since Sirius only had a foot in, combined with your magic holding him, we think he was able to survive with minimal damage. Any further and he probably would have died."

Evalyn froze, "Two things: I'm so very happy you are okay love, but no scars or injuries? Does that mean?" Her hand reached for Regulus' left arm. He smiled softly with tears welling up in his eyes. Evalyn's heart pounded in her chest as he rolled up his sleeve, revealing a bare arm.

"It was a curse" he whispered softly. Sirius watched the two, tears of his own threatening to fall from his eyes. Evalyn ran her fingers against his pale forearm.

"Have you told him what happened?" Regulus nodded and gave a shy smile at his brother.

"I think we will be okay, it will take some time, but we will get there." Regulus kissed her temple and helped her walk over to Sirius' bed. Remus told everyone goodbye and walked out. The three sat for hours discussing everything except for the war. However, the mood turned a tad bit sour when Dumbledore knocked on the door. Sirius was the one to get it, opening it with a smile.

"Ah good old Dumbles." He held his arm out, welcoming the old wizard into the room. Regulus grew stiff and Evalyn moved to the boy's side protectively. "What can we do for you?"

The headmaster handed the Prophet to Sirius. His smile grew wide as he read the words 'Sirius Black is innocent' It turns out that Peter Pettigrew arrived with Voldemort and the ministry witnessed the pair, both very much alive. Not only did they now believe that Voldemort was back, but they also believed that Sirius is innocent of his crimes. He passed the papers to Evalyn and Regulus. "That's wonderful news love." She patted the space on the bed next to her and Regulus. He sat down, now putting two people in between the young boy and Dumbledore. Regulus let out a small breath of relief.

"Now on to other business, I am very pleased to have you back Mr. Black. If I remember correctly you were on the hunt for something when the incident occurred?" Evalyn whipped her head to Regulus in shock.

'He knew?!' She mouthed to him. He answered by giving her hand a quick squeeze. His eyes stared into Dumbledore's with a blank look. "Yes Professor."

"Do you remember where you looked?" What Dumbledore didn't know, was that he was successful getting the locket out of the cave. He gave the headmaster a stiff nod. "Is it possible for you to show me?"

"No." Evalyn's voice was cold. Sirius quickly wrapped his arm around her, giving her a reassuring squeeze. He silently let her know that he stood with her and Regulus. "He will do no such thing."

"Mrs. Black, the boy is of age. He is now part of the Order per his request, it is up to him to decide." She scowled and went to stand up, but Regulus pulled her back down.

"I will give you the location at a later date when I can trust that the Order will not sell me out to Voldemort because of my former choices. But I will not be going there." His voice held no room for argument, so Dumbledore left the room without another word.

After a moment of silence, Evalyn looked at the two boys. "I dread the idea of Harry being back at the Dursley's." Sirius nodded solemnly. "How about in a few days once we are healed we go get our godson?" The gleam in her eye told the brothers she would go with our without them.

Sirius gave a wicked grin and clapped his hands together "That sounds like a brilliant plan."

Regulus sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "I guess I'll go too, someone has to be there to make sure you don't get into trouble."