Chapter 96 Camp

Chapter 96

I looked in the mirror and at the chainmail that now covered my body. The maids were preparing me for the upcoming raid tomorrow as they placed and packed all the needed items in my bag.

For now, we're supposed to head for the camp that was set up for all the individuals involved to gather.

That was why I was troubled when I had to wear chainmail over my shirt because it is not like we are going to war right away.

"Princess, what do you think?" Keela, one of my maids, asked.

"I feel like all I need now is one of those belts for belly dancing to complete the set." I said because every time I move, I could hear it rattling.

And it was annoying.

The maids laughed at me and handed me a vest instead to help keep the chainmail in place. It was a big improvement, but now I just feel like I was suffocating.

"Do I even need to wear this? I mean, we're only going to camp. No fighting. Just going to do a few briefings of the plan." I said while patting on the vest for good measure. I got my whip from the side table and coiled it around my arm.

"Of course!" It was Yen, the youngest of the maids said. "We cannot be too complacent. You might get attacked on your way there."

I wanted to tell them that the camp isn't that close to Tereau just yet, but I can see her point. I was pretty sure that it was either my aunt or Ace who ordered this unnecessary precaution to them.

I looked at my reflection one last time before facing my maids and thanking them. "See you guys when I get back!" I waved at them goodbye as I headed for the door.

"Princess, be careful!"

"Come back safe!"

"I will!" I told them gratefully before I shut the door.

"That was a pleasant farewell." I turned around as saw Ace leaning on the wall just outside my door. He was wearing a black shirt polo shirt, some dark brown trousers, and some hiking boots.

"You know you are not supposed to follow us until tomorrow, right?" I told him about the plan. No one was supposed to know that Ace would be following us to the battlefield just yet because he would be the one to keep an eye out on the three knights.

And in order to avoid suspicion, we won't be traveling together.

"Don't remind me." He grumbled. "But I can still see you off, can't I?"

"Ye-"

"Don't answer. It wasn't even a request. I am going to see you off." He says and offered me his arm. "Come on, at least let me walk you outside."

I took his arm. "Fine. Custard, Viex, come on." As soon as I called for them, Viex jumped onto Ace's shoulder while Custard jumped into my arm.

As we walked along the hallway, maids were everywhere walking here and there as they assisted everyone on their departure. I noticed a few of them watching Ace with a flustered look. When I looked at him, Ace was acting like the amnesia boy again as he kept smiling and nodding at them in a pleasant way.

"You're getting popular. You should smile more often..It makes you look approachable." I told him.

"I do?" My words somehow seemed to offend him, and now he was frowning at everyone who was looking at him. Some even scampered away when he glared at them for a longer time.

"What are you doing?" I hissed.

"Making sure that they get the message that I do not want to be approached." He says.