𝐱. 𝐬𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐬 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥

°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・ ENDGAME} act ii. . .
. . .as deep as the seafloor

      CHAPTER TEN°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:
           — 'sirens call'

ೃ࿔*:・                         — 'sirens call'

°❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:Rayn °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:

After a few hours, Annabeth was below lying down in a hammock. You could say, sailing didn't agree with her.

Percy and I didn't talk much, if we did it was about what we saw.

I watched the horizon, more than once I spotted a few monsters and some Nereids.

Sometime after midnight, Annabeth came up on deck as we were passing a smoking volcano island. The sea bubbles and steamed around the shore.

"One of the forges of Hephaestus," Annabeth said. "Where he makes his metal monsters."

"Like the bronze bulls?" Percy asked.

She nodded. "Go around. Far around."

We immediately steered clear of the island, soon it was just a red patch of haze behind us.

I stared at Percy as he was talking, "the reason you hate Cyclopes so much... the story about how Thalia really died. What happened?"

I looked over at Annabeth, "I guess you deserve to know." I finally said. "The night Grover was escorting us to camp, he got confused, took some wrong turns. You remember he told you that once?"

He nodded.

"The worst wrong turn was into a Cyclop's lair in Brooklyn."

"They've got Cyclopes in Brooklyn?" I asked.

"You wouldn't believe how many, but that's not the point. This Cyclopes, he tricked us. He managed to split us up inside this maze of corridors in an old house in Flatbush. And he could sound like anyone, Percy. Just the way Tyson did aboard the Princess Andromeda. He lured us, one at a time. Thalia thought she was running to save Luke. Luke thought he heard me scream for help. Annabeth heard her, uhm..."

"I heard my dad scream for help." Annabeth added on for me.

"Then, I was alone in the dark, I was seven years old. I couldn't find the exit."

Annabeth brushed the hair from her face and continued the story, "I remember we found the main room. There were bones all over the floor. And there were Thalia, Luke and Grover, tied up and gagged hanging from the ceiling."